My first boat...Superhawk 16

billpinMB

Cadet
Well I lucked out and scooped up my first boat yesterday.I have been looking for quite a while and finally found one that has nice features and is reasonably priced so I can still afford to do other things. It's a Superhawk 16 with a 50 Merc on the back. Frankly hadn't heard of these boats before last week, but I found this forum and you all had good things to say about the brand so I decided to at least take a look.
The hull is in great condition and the current owner replaced the floor, carpet and seats(2 pedestals are not in the pictures). The motor has power tilt and trim and the bilge and livewell are also in perfect working order. It looks like the ideal fishing boat that is deep and wide enough for Lake of the Woods musky fishing and not too big for the smaller lakes in the NW Ontario and SE Manitoba areas near where I have just relocated. I am also planning to visit Minnesota and will consider taking the boat if it travels well.
I am planning to get the boat home in 2 weeks and will buy a gps/fishfinder and a bow mount trolling motor as well as a boat cover and possibly a bimini top prior to fishing season starting in May.
I am very excited about this and can't wait to get it home to scrub it down and start to make it my own!
Thanks guys , this is about the only place for info on these boats and I hope to keep coming back and updating the state of my new toy!

Bill

Attachments

• 057v2.jpg
    057v2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 055v2.jpg
    055v2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2
  • 078v2.jpg
    078v2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2

puddle jumper

Captain
Re: My first boat...Superhawk 16

Nice find. Your right there is not a lot of info on blue fin boats as i have looked to no ends. Good luck with yours and feel free to ask questions up in the forums.

billpinMB

Cadet
Re: My first boat...Superhawk 16

Well I figure it's time to update...I no longer live in Manitoba and have dragged the boat back to my home in SW Ontario about 13 km north of Lake Erie. the company I worked for was noted for it's 'revolving door' approach so I did not move my family out there - and am very glad I did not. This is a far better part of the world for me to live in (mostly a weather/mosquito related comment) but in retrospect this boat is a little too small for the Great Lakes except for perch fishing a mile or two offshore which is quite good & popular around here. I will probably upgrade to a larger "big water" boat - 18 feet seems to be the minimum as Erie can change in a few minutes from calm to wild (I have even seen a waterspout).
There is great walleye and rainbow action from about June till September that I miss out on while having to rely on friends for my trolling fix (as I am too cautious to venture more than 3-4 miles out). Similarly there's salmon & lake trout fishing on Lake Ontario and even closer on Lake Huron about an hour north of here that require a larger boat.
The blue fin has been pretty great though, very easy to tow so my longer trips (eg Lake St Clair for excellent Musky fishing) don't cost a fortune.
There are a couple of Erie bays (Long Point and Rondeau) that are very much like their own lakes with bass/pike perch fishing within an hours drive.
I have had my boat up in northern Ontario on Nipissing and plan to spend at least a week up there with my family in the summer of '11, so I will probably keep my current rig even if/when I do get another.

I should be outside winterizing it right now but can't seem to find the motivation at the moment.

Attachments

• bigmuskie.jpg
    bigmuskie.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
  • D.3.jpg
    D.3.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0