waxing my spectrum

puddle jumper

Captain
Il be the first
On my Spectrum boat seeing how its an aluminum hull with what looks like an plastic coat of color on the top half insted of paint.Would anyone know what would be the best cleaner/wax for this boat.
Im happy this forum came up.8)

MEllis

Cadet
Re: waxing my spectrum

Hey I have a '91 Spectrum 1606...wondering if you could help me determine the max motor size to put on her...its a 16 footer..cant see the plate with the info I need anywhere on the boat.

Thanks!

puddle jumper

Captain

Mellis im not shure what size motor your boat should have.My boat maximum
motor size is 85 horse but i only have a 50 horse on it and it motors along very well plus gets good fuel milage.My Spectrum is a 17 foot yours being a 16 foot i could imagine that a 60 or a 70 horse would be the maximum.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A friend of mine just bought a 91 year model 19.4ft Blue Fin Spectrum with a 3.0L I/O motor with around a 110 hours on it a little over a month ago. It is in excellent condition and the couple he bought it from virtually gave it away to him. He got it for $4000.00 bucks. What made me post to your thread was the waxing issue, because I took a very good look at his boat now that it's in excellent condition, because it will not remain that way to long. His theroy on maintence is "screw it" don't worry about it until something breaks and waxing is a waste of time and engery :rolleyes:. What ashame! I think differently myself. ;)

Tony

puddle jumper

Captain

Tony what did you wax your boat with?
I used a good car wax and it seemed to work just fine.

Duec66

Cadet

Wow this post got hi-jacked. I waxed mine with Maguires Boat Restorer It worked well.

And about the size of motor, my tag on my 17 footer says max transom weight of 120h motor. I have a 70 on it now though.

yadleinad

Cadet

Mellis im not shure what size motor your boat should have.My boat maximum
motor size is 85 horse but i only have a 50 horse on it and it motors along very well plus gets good fuel milage.My Spectrum is a 17 foot yours being a 16 foot i could imagine that a 60 or a 70 horse would be the maximum.

What kind of run time do you get on a 6gal tank... Seems like my 50 force eats gas really fast, at 5300rpm I can go at most 10 miles. Just seems like my friends boats can go alot farther then I can....

yadleinad

Cadet

And I used Maguires cleaner/restore wax and my 89 bluefin came out looking like new... Held up well so far!

Duec66

Cadet

Puddle Jumper, It wasn't that long ago since I first used it, so I'm not sure about the longevity of the stuff. It should last a while for the price though.

puddle jumper

Captain

Yadleinad my 50 seems really good but Ive never checked fuel mileage but i also have a 20 gallon tank and it last about a month with on and off usage.
I troll a lot and don't just cruse. You may want to post in the force thread there is lots of 50 horse force users there and may have a better answer.

Yadleinad and Duec66 i will try to find that wax and try it.The car wax i tried
seemed to fade to fast for my liking

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tony what did you wax your boat with?
I used a good car wax and it seemed to work just fine.

PJ sorry for taking a little over three years to respond to your question :redface:, I've used various 3M waxing products when it comes to waxing my 84 Skeeter. Of course my boat has been in limbo tarped up for the past six years and I've just recently began doing a fix up on it do to a rodent problem, replacing sub-floor, re-wiring, repair or replacing boat seats, things that are common when a couple rats want to try to homestead your boat.:(

Tony