Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Boat (pt3)

Click HERE for part 2.

This final set is when I dropped the new engine in. In the second picture you'll see the corners of the bait boxes have been reworked... The new exhaust elbows are 1.7" taller than the previous, so a little fibreglass work was called for. You will also notice the trim pump has been mounted up on the transom. Most people just bolt them to the floor, where that get continuously wet with seawater and eventually corrode away. It also keeps the hoses out of the bilge, making the installation a much tidier job.

If you're wondering what the pump and pickup tube on the port side of the transom in the last picture are all about, they are for my live bait tank. When I go fishing for Mahi-mahi, I strap a 50 litre (13 gallon) plastic tub (with a lid) onto the the swim platform. The bilge pump and pickup tube have hoses that feed into the tank. When I'm stationery, catching the bait fish or Mahi-mahi, then the bilge pump runs (360gph). When I'm on the move the pickup (cut at 45 degrees) feeds new water to the tank. Doing it this way eliminates the need for aerators and keeps the water from heating up. I mounted the pump sideways because the hose needed to feed straight up. Most that I've seen have a bracket that mounts the pump vertically, then an elbow to take the outlet up. I figure I have eliminated 2 unnecessary pieces of gear this way.

Chris........
    Attached Files
    Last edited by achris; July 5th, 2015, 07:47 PM.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
    1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
    (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Re: My Boat (pt3)

Flash as Chris,.. I like it,

Couple of things,

1. What size and pitch prop are you running?

2. Where is your serial number on your hull?

My bilge area is substantially different to yours and mine runs a Volvo penta drive. I wonder if mine was an import?

I will post some pics shortly.

Comment

Re: My Boat (pt3)

Originally posted by arfaname View Post
      Flash as Chris,.. I like it,
      Thanks....

Originally posted by arfaname
      Couple of things,

1. What size and pitch prop are you running?
      Interesting question... No simple answer.

Propped correctly (4600rpm @ WOT) I'm running a 19" 3 blade Vengance. However, when I first installed the engine I found that cruising speed (17-18 knots) was just off the bottom end of the power band, and it was really hard to hold a constant speed. It kept either dying in the arse or accelerating up, so I changed to a 17" Vengance. That keep the engine revs up (and in the power band) and also allows me to load up (SCUBA tanks, etc) without killing the engine. But if I run it at WOT with a light load I hit the rev limiter (5100, I think. Too busy hanging on to be looking at a tacho. ).

2. Where is your serial number on your hull?
      Right up in the bow, inside the anchor rope locker, on the port side. The numbers are about 100mm high and it's 'inside' the fibreglass. Also on the manufacturers tag, which was on the engine cover, but I have relocated it to the centre of the main foredeck support spar in the cabin.

My bilge area is substantially different to yours and mine runs a Volvo penta drive. I wonder if mine was an import?

I will post some pics shortly.
      Cheers,

Chris........
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
      1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
      2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
      (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Working...
      X