NEWB - 78 Beachcraft 16 Ft

NancyBotwin

Recruit
Very new to boating just picked up a used Beachcraft 16 ft boat, will post pix later, while purchasing last night cracked screen on iPhone i guess it was a decent trade off, well anyways, sounds like i got myself into a good boat obviously will need work to look nice, but boat is lake ready. Has a Johnson 115 Outboard motor, the last owner put electric fuel pump, need to wire for fuel gauge, other than that not much else, there is a Bimini Top that was just put on, obviously needs paint.

Anyways, glad to find a site with some enthusiasts, anyone in the NW Valley of Phoenix give me shout, always up for some advice/tips/good company.

Like I said, brand new to boating will be reading up and practicing in the parking lot on my boat ramp skills but any other tidbits helpful information, especially for a boater in the dessert, sure boating is different everywhere, shoot it my way. Thanks for your time, in helping keep another uneducated person off the water.

Don't forget to watch tonight's new episode:)

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: NEWB - 78 Beachcraft 16 Ft

Go online and find the boating/safety regulations for your area. Also since your new to boating take a boating safety course. I also recomend that you crawl through your boat and make yourself familiar with it mechanically and enshure it's in good, safe operating condition. If you plan to do your own maintenance this forum is a great resource, but I recomend getting a service manual for your engine as well. Go through the trailer as well since trailer problems are a vast source of potential problems. Allot of boating issues are linked with your fuel system so pay good attention to it and keep it clean as well as putting a fuel/water sepperator/filter on it if it dosent have one yet. Knoweldge is power so they say so educate yourself and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Red

NancyBotwin

Recruit
Re: NEWB - 78 Beachcraft 16 Ft

Thanks, Red, I will definitely be doing all the above. I have the boating/safety book already, going through in between work! I'm going to take it by a local shop to have checked out and then I do plan on maintaining, so a manual is a must. The shop should check out the trailer for me. I will definitely look into the boating safety course also. Took prior to riding my motorcycle and saved my life plenty of times, so doing the same here is no different, its a must, safety first.

Patrick Aaron