Buying a 77 Beachcraft 18 ft boat

MyOpinion2U

Cadet
Is this boat a reliable boat? What do you think it is worth? The top of the boat has been repainted, new interior and a new stereo.

Thanks,

Jay Dee
:confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Buying a 77 Beachcraft 18 ft boat

I mean no disrespect.....this post shows you have MUCH to learn about boats before buying one. Please do some more reading in the more general sections of this forum before dropping your hard earned money on a potential money pit.

First we need to know what engine/drive this boat has. There are a number of powerplants out there that you can not get parts for. Secondly, there's a really good chance that a fiberglass boat from the 70's has rot in the wooden components of the hull. You need to know what to look for. The brand of boat is meaningless after a couple years.

Sorry to come off like a jerk, welcome to iboats. This is the BEST place to come before (and after) buying a boat!

MyOpinion2U

Cadet

Thanks you so much for the response. I did not take any offense. It was very informative.

MyOpinion2U

Cadet

I know about engines. I can tell if an engine is in good condition or not. I use to build them for fun. This boat is a Southern California boat. I am sure there is a change for the hull to be rotten but because of the weather here does not get that cold here not very likely. The person is only asking $2000.00 after paying $1800.00 for it, getting the top half of the boat repainted ($600.00), new interior(???) and just completed a 50 hr service. I was just planning to use it for the summer (which in Southern California, it started this month) with my 9 year old boy then sell it. I just want to have fun with my son during the weekends. To rent a Pontoon in the local lake is $300.00 per hour. After 7 hours I am ahead of the game. I have had 3 or 4 boats before, all new,2 had 25k to 30k in custom built motors (Jet Boats) and a 24 ft deck boat. After my divorce I got rid of a lot of toys because I travel a lot. I only come home for the weekend to play with my son. Right now I work in NY and live in CA.