Beachcraft Boats Are Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachboy

Recruit
Looking on a google search it took me to this site so I read your recent posts about the 16, 18, 19, and 24 Beachcrafts. Sounds like you guys are trying to piece together a little history?

I don't have anything to contribute yet, but I will. I've been collecting and restoring old fiberglass boats for a while now and have been heavily involved with many grassroot classic boat clubs.

If you've ever been to fiberglassics.com then you probably have a pretty good idea what is possible when a bunch of like minded enthusiasts such as yourselves get together.

Anyway, I just purchased a 1976 Beachcraft 24 foot Sportfisher. It seems there are a couple of you that may have this same boat? I've owned a couple (1968 and 1969) of Tollycraft 24 foot Express cruisers in the past, and I can tell you this 24' Beachcraft was made from the mold of the 24' Tollycraft.

Most of the Beachcraft 24s I've seen have had their interiors replaced because the originals were made of laminated pressboard and similar "state of the art (in the mid 70's) wood products. Mine is no exception, and fortunately of the two men who were partners in the boat I bought, one was a cabinet maker. He did a beautiful job and I am a lucky man.

The other partner was a retired boat broker who had his Masters license. He would routinely deliver boats from San Diego to ports along the Pacific Coast (not by trailer, but by water). he was a highly experienced seaman, and this was his boat of choice since he bought it when he retired in 1985.

He recently sold it to me because after the last 5 years of sitting in his driveway he knew he finally gave in to his wife who told him he was too old to take her out anymore (he's now 83).

This boat had an OMC 305 outdrive combination, but six years ago he replaced the 305 with a brand new FWC 351 OMC. Because there was nothing wrong with the O/D he just had it rebuilt instead of replacing it. so as not to overpower the O/D he elected to replace the four-barrel carb with a two-barrel, which effectively detuned it to approx. 235 hp.

I don't know how fast she'll go (haven't had her out yet, and he never opened her up), but one of my Tolly's had the 305 in it and it would cruise nicely at about 22 mph.

Anyway, let's see if I can post some pictures?

Beachboy

Attachments

• P1020338.JPG
    P1020338.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 4
  • P1020339.JPG
    P1020339.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P1020329.JPG
    P1020329.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 4
  • P1020341.JPG
    P1020341.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 4
  • P1020343.JPG
    P1020343.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 5

Beachboy

Recruit
Re: Beachcraft Boats Are Cool

Bt the way, this boat came from Anacortes, WA (gateway to the San Juan Islands). She now resides near Tacoma, WA.

Here's a picture of what I'm hoping she'll look like when I get her hardtop done...

Attachments

• reference - Copy (2).jpg
    reference - Copy (2).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 3

Wow, good story I am in the finishing stages of redoing the interior of my little 16' beachcraft. I love my boat and I have grown up skiing behind it but now the flooring is rotted away. press board that was not sealed. I'm doing it right now.

Umpqua Al

Recruit

Thanks for the story and pics. I'm the owner of a 24' Beachcraft that needs some TLC. My recent offshore fishing trips combined with your pics have inspired me to make more of an effort to restore it and get it out on the water.

kinkelg

Recruit

What was the last year the 24' Beachcraft Sportfisher was made, I reside in Seattle and am looking. Any help...thanks

truckman23115

Recruit

Just bought a 1984 19 ft beachcraft.Is it true that there are sensors thru out the engine that prevent you from starting the engine unless you take the key out of the ignition every time you take a break and pump the gas several times to restart it.

KX6D

Seaman

Just bought a 1984 19 ft beachcraft.Is it true that there are sensors thru out the engine that prevent you from starting the engine unless you take the key out of the ignition every time you take a break and pump the gas several times to restart it.
No. You should start a new thread as well!

Dino - KX6D

Searay ec 390

Recruit

I just picked up a 14ft beachcraft speed/ski boat off Craigslist . Has anyone ever had one or know anything about them

KX6D

Seaman

They were made in Salem Oregon and no longer in business. There seems to be a tie to Britton Boat Repair in Salem OR. The aftermarket seems to make ties to Reinell Boats as well.

An online Obituary says this...
Ronald Frank Britton

"CEBU CITY PHILLIPINES - Ron was born in Everett . Wash., lived his first six years in Idanha, Ore., then Independence Ore. where he went to school until 17, when he moved to Salem, graduating from S. Salem High in 1965. He died in Cebu City, Phillipines where he lived the last two years. He was 59 yrs. old. Ron was well known as a hard working "entrepreneur"; who together with his wife Francie, started Beachcraft Marine in 1971, later acquiring Reinell boats, selling out to what is today Kal Kustom Enterprises, Salem. Later building Barron Boats and spa's. He also, with his father, was a home builder. He spawned a number of fiberglass business's in the area and was a talented designer. When a boy, he won the best designed soap box derby racer, and could work marvels with his hands. He was an excellent water and snow skier, and was at home on water. He is survived by his mother, Eleanor Britton; brothers Richard, Roger and Brad; his two sons, Bryce and Brennan; daughter Savannah and many friends whom he deeply loved. His children were the joy of his life. He will be missed by all who knew and loved him. He believed in his Creator and knew this life was not all there is. His memorial will be held, Sat., Aug. 19, 2006 - 2:00 at the Howell-Edwards Funeral Home; at 1350 Commercial St., Salem. Arrangements are by Howell-Edwards-Doerksen with Rigdon-Ransom Funeral Directors."

There is an address for Kal Kustom Enterpirses in Salem and Fremont, CA. The Fremont address shows Bluewater Boats. Not sure of any ties however.

Where do you live? Post some pictures!

Brail253

Recruit
Anybody know anything about my 1978 Beachcraft model

Attachments

• 20210612_152651.jpg
    20210612_152651.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210607_171640.jpg
    20210607_171640.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20210612_152638.jpg