Let's make Beachcraft's first internet archieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Hopefully there will be others to post information and pictures of the Salem Oregon made craft. I don't know anything about the Company other than the fact that they are now defunct. I do not know when they started or when the quit.

I also do not know what range of craft they made, nor do I know anything about their philosophy in manufacturing.

What I do know, as a recent owner of an 1976 18 footer, is that they are cute and they are quick. They appear, at least mine, to be about a 4/5 scale copy of a 20 ft Searay. They have the same style hull, the same gas tank in bow, later models had the ski locker in the floor between the seats. They also had the rediculously, impractical full frontal high bow rail which I have already modified.

As far as quality, I only have one hands on example to comapare it to and it does have some shortcomings. I cannot comment on the basic quality of the hull but a lot of the other fiberglass work is somewhat flimsy. One of the areas where this is apparent is in the rear of the front deck and dashboard area. Both sides of my dash are sagging (very visible) which is causing a gross misalignment of the three windshield panels.

I hope to be able to jack these up and add some reinforcement underneath. Other than that, my '76 seams to have come thru the years without any floor rot so that is encouraging me to address some of the other issues.

Here are pictures of my '76 and a friends '78. If you know anything about the brand, please post.

This is my boat before I cut down and opened up the bowrail. It was a deathtrap. I'm surprised it stayed intact as long as it did.

DSCF0231.jpg

This is after I cut it down.

DSCF0389.jpg

This is my friends 1978 version. We got them both at the same time. His bowrail was already open up in front but not lowered. His will want to impale you.

DSCF0240.jpg

Here are the both of them, stored in his yard.

DSCF0247.jpg

QUACK ATTACK

Cadet
Re: Whoa! I just discovered Progress in the Mfgr's forum!

Boomyal said:
Hopefully there will be others to post information and pictures of the Salem Oregon made craft. I don't know anything about the Company other than the fact that they are now defunct. I do not know when they started or when the quit.

I also do not know what range of craft they made, nor do I know anything about their philosophy in manufacturing.

What I do know, as a recent owner of an 1976 18 footer, is that they are cute and they are quick. They appear, at least mine, to be about a 4/5 scale copy of a 20 ft Searay. They have the same style hull, the same gas tank in bow, later models had the ski locker in the floor between the seats. They also had the rediculously, impractical full frontal high bow rail which I have already modified.

As far as quality, I only have one hands on example to comapare it to and it does have some shortcomings. I cannot comment on the basic quality of the hull but a lot of the other fiberglass work is somewhat flimsy. One of the areas where this is apparent is in the rear of the front deck and dashboard area. Both sides of my dash are sagging (very visible) which is causing a gross misalignment of the three windshield panels.

I hope to be able to jack these up and add some reinforcement underneath. Other than that, my '76 seams to have come thru the years without any floor rot so that is encouraging me to address some of the other issues.

Here are pictures of my '76 and a friends '78. If you know anything about the brand, please post.

This is my boat before I cut down and opened up the bowrail. It was a deathtrap. I'm surprised it stayed intact as long as it did.

DSCF0231.jpg

This is after I cut it down.

DSCF0389.jpg

This is my friends 1978 version. We got them both at the same time. His bowrail was already open up in front but not lowered. His will want to impale you.

DSCF0240.jpg

Here are the both of them, stored in his yard.

DSCF0247.jpg

QUACK ATTACK

Cadet

I also own a beachcraft boat and it has served me and my family well. I have the advantage I live in salem and this boat has been in my family since new. They were built by what is now Britton boat You are correct it is a searay hull. I have not had any trouble with the front windows not being straight. The only difference from your boat and the one I have is that I have a solid Z stripe down the side on mine and there is a skiing hook up on the back. From what my father tells me Britton worked for searay and decieded to get into the boat business and purchused a couple of molds and started making boats. Do you have the 305 in yours? I dont think I could ask for a better family/fishing boat it has been very dependible. I do know that they built boats up to 21ft with a sleeper under the front. I will see what else I can dig up for you. Jeff

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Post a pic or two QA. What year is yours? I saw one out on the Columbia this summer that fits your description. It was going in the opposite direction but looked real clean and shiney.

Mine is the 888 with the Ford 302. ('76 model) My friends 18 footer ('78 model) is the 898 with the chevy 305. His dash and rearward front deck does not appear to be sagging like mine.

It is apparent that the deck (I don't think the hull) is all made with a chopper gun and it has no firmness like hand laid glass. They must have done something to beef up the area by the '78 model year 'cause my friends '78 does not have that problem

I plan on trying to jack it up into shape and epoxying a reinforcing wood beam underneath the rear deck/dash area.

Those V-8's really make that little 18 ft'r fly.

Is Britton Boats still in business? I googled it and came up with naught.

You should check my post out. You can see what I am doing to get a few more inches of leg room in the back seats.

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=26;gtid=1196906

QUACK ATTACK

Cadet

They are still in Business the original owner is no longer there I think its some kind of relation (son) I think... Here is the phone # 503-378-9064 there add says that they have been in business since 1964. I'm sure that they will know more about it.

Mine is the 78 with the 305. I know ist called the Maco and looks alot like the one you have. I will look and see if I have any good photos.

I dont think it was mine I have not been in the columbia in a long time. Possibley this year to catch some salmon

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I get down that way occasionally. I'll stop by and see them. The boat pictured above, loading on the trailer, is my friends '78. It has the 305.

cjames

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Let's make Beachcraft's first internet archieve.

I have a '83 Beachcraft 24' sportfisher. Its been well used (and shows it) in the Columbia, and well offshore chasing Salmon. I primarily use it for cruising and the occasional fishing trip in the Puget Sound. The boat handles ok, except in a heavy following sea. The 305chev and merc A1 outdrive are still plugging along. Im in the process of re wiring the boat, and I plan on re-glassing the bottom before summer this year. Like I said, this ol boat has been well used and been bounced off plenty of docks and rocks. Overall, it is still verry sound, and I trust it. I can post a pic if anyones interested.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yeah cjames. Bring on the pictures. Maybe start your own thread and give any history or anecdotes you know about your boat and the brand. They were cute boats and although they do not have the quality of some, they seemed to be durable in the right places. At least in the 18 ft'rs, the hulls were 'splashes' of the SeaRay hulls. They really get with it.

I know there are a lot of them in the PNW and it would be nice to assemble a body of experience. When these boat manufacturers go out of business, they leave no trail of knowledge or information.

cjames

Petty Officer 3rd Class

heres a couple of pics I have handy.

Picture056.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 056.jpg
    55 bytes · Views: 6
  • Picture 060.jpg
    55 bytes · Views: 2
  • Picture 061.jpg
    58 bytes · Views: 0

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

just red X's cjames. You have to have your pics hosted on the net by the likes of a PhotoBucket or some such. You can just go back and edit your first attempt.

http://photobucket.com/

Just upload your pics to the host, copy the url, click on the little yellow square above the edit text box here and paste your link in between the bracketed

Tualatinbrian

Recruit

I have a 76 Fiberform, I don't know much about it. It is 18ft and has a volvo penta 280o/d. Have you found an owners manual.

Attachments

• our boat.jpg
    our boat.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2

I just found this site and also own a 78 beachcraft 16-8 runabout/ski boat. the hull looks almost like a kona and it is beeing puched by a merc 115. it does about 40 and is fast enough for me ill post pics soon as I just rebuilt the transom and added a cmc pt-130 tilt trim. Ready for Detroit Lake

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I just found this site and also own a 78 beachcraft 16-8 runabout/ski boat. the hull looks almost like a kona and it is beeing puched by a merc 115. it does about 40 and is fast enough for me ill post pics soon as I just rebuilt the transom and added a cmc pt-130 tilt trim. Ready for Detroit Lake

Bring on the pics GL, it would be good to start a new thread. Welcome to iboats.

Naslund

Cadet

Hey,

I live in Victoria BC (Awesome boating area). I am in negotiations to purchase
an early 80's 16ft bow rider beachcraft. The boat is clean with a great hull, for such a great looking boat I'm surprised I don't see more of them around. All the Beachcraft boats I have seen or read about are all inboard/outboards. The one I am looking at is just an outboard, was that not a common thing to have with the Beechcrafts? This would be my first boat so I'm pretty excited:) Here's a picture of it.

Patrick

Attachments

• 16ft BeachCraft Bow Rider.jpg
    16ft BeachCraft Bow Rider.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Clean looking rig Naslund, when you get it, take some more pictures and start a new thread in this Beachcraft Forum. Then hang around the other forums for all kinds of other boating info.

I'm wondering if you found this forum on a google search for Beachcraft? I know this thread shows up there. As you might have noticed there is not any other information on the brand out on the web.

These boats were made near where I live. The founder sold the company and it went belly up sometime after. Best as I can figure, late 80's or so. Probably mismanaged by the buyer 'cause there were/are a ton of them around here on the west coast. and you are right, don't think I've really seen any outboards.

hdf1

Recruit

My family has a 77 19ft Beachcraft with a 233 (351 ford) Mercruiser that was a screamer. That boat will still get into the lower to mid 60s with the right water conditions. We've surprised a lot of fancier boat owners when we'd pull away with our old, beat up boat. I'm going to look at a 76 Beachcraft tomorrow that has a 188 Mercruiser (302).

I just signed up and have already learned more than I have ever known about my 16' beachcraft!! I never knew what happened to the manufacturer or where they were made. Mine is a 1985 16 footer with the 2.5L GM 4 cyl. It's not all that powerfull and has been neglected for about 20 years but the engine turns over and that's good enough reason for me to take on the project of restoring this free boat that my dad gave me when I graduated high school almost 10 years ago. Thanks for all your information all of you. I need help with my points...

bobsmith13

Recruit
Let's make Beachcraft's first internet archive

Let's make Beachcraft's first internet archive

My Dad has a 1979 19' used as a fishing boat down at the mouth of the Columbia bouy 10 for a few years. I will get some photos posted when they return.

Currently they are down at Ilwaco with starting problems. (why I am on the website searching for info and wiring diagrams. Wish I could be down there giving Pops a hand. He is 78 and worked so hard to get there to fish.

Anyway. Perhaps I can help host some photos in a gallery at some point?

Thanks

jhtaylor

Seaman Apprentice

The last post on this string has been awhile ago, but if anyone is interested I just purchased a 1973 Fiesta 19'-9" boat. this boat was manufactured in Albany, Oregon and used Sea Ray molds (plugs). They either moved or sold out to Beechcraft who used the same plugs. I purchased mine from the original owner who bought it at the factory in Albany. It looks jus like the pictures above. It has been so well maintained through the years that it is hard to believe it is almost 37 years old. Mine has the 188 hp 302 and the 888 outdrive. I can't wait for Spring to get it out on the water.

quiksil123

Recruit

Hello fellow beachcrafters!
I have a 16 ft beachcraft with a omc v6 im not sure about any details about it, but i was wondering if anyone knew where to get interior parts for my beachcraft? the previous owner began redoing the floor and I think he became addicted to meth or something and took all the interior parts out? pretty saddend to see that but the boat was free so i didn't complain too much.

Oh also I live in Salem, Oregon.

Status
Not open for further replies.