Need to replace leaking fuel tank in 1986 Capri outboard

jamesstanley

Recruit
Believe we have a leak in the 33 gal metal gas tank. Is it feasible for me with some carpentry experience and knowledge to attempt to do this. Any advice on how & how much floor to remove and the tank to replace it with would be greatly appreciated.
Also need to replace some floor support bracing around the ski storage hatch
Thanks
James

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Need to replace leaking fuel tank in 1986 Capri outboard

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

The tank sits between the stringers aft of the ski locker all way back almost to the transom. You can remove the sole ("deck") with a circular saw set to the depth of plywood but you need to be very careful! Gasoline fumes + saw motor sparks = BOOM!

Here is the structure I added in the ski locker of my boat:

Img_0074small.jpg

Bifflefan

Commander

the tank to replace it with would be greatly appreciated.
James

Once you get it out it will most likely not be repairable. I had to have one custom made to fit the hole. Here is a link to the company that make BIA certified tanks so you will not have any issues with the coast guard or insurance. RDS Aluminum. They are not cheap, but they will are great to work with and will make anything you need.

Last edited:

Drain the fuel and have the tank pressure tested. It's probably aluminum and could be leaking because of electrolisis or a foreign object has vibrated a hole in the tank..Aluminum tanks can be repaired..