just got a 89 Trophy - need opinions!

alfa

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,
i just picked up an 89 Trophy - 22ft W/A with two merc outboards on it. Haven't had a chance to look over the boat carefully, but the hull looked in good shape, deck was solid, and cabin was in good shape.

Mercs are 150hp EFIs 1997 models. Owner said didn't know hours....
One merc worked on trailer albeit smoking like a champ...the other doesn't work - has one header off and owner claims to have fuel issues (injectors, pumps...who knows)

I have had boats before but were cuddy cabin styles (no bayliners) but since wife doesn't really go on anymore, I wanted a walkaround more suited for fishing, and picked this one up for cheap.

My main concerns are the motor that doesn't work - considering taking it off and leaving just the one 150 on it... or trying to troubleshoot it and maybe fix it. Reading around seems there is a lot of bad rep about this era Bayliners with transom rot and other crap being thrown around... but is a nice boat and I am not really the "abusive, push to the brink" type.

I'd welcome any opinions, thoughts, questions from all your experiences out there... anything would help especially since I don't have any manuals or idea where everything (other than in plain sight) is on this boat.

Stay safe

mr 88

Commander
Re: just got a 89 Trophy - need opinions!

You should be with in 65-70% of max rated Hp which is displayed somewhere on the boat. I would take a compression reading on both motors before I did anything else. Then any questions on the motors you might have can be posted in the outboard Merc Forum for a better response.

alfa

Seaman Apprentice
Re: just got a 89 Trophy - need opinions!

thanks Mr88. That is the plan - I need to get a gasket for the header that was removed and seal that side of the motor, than check compressions.
I don't know where to even look for the HP rating for this boat... I think I read somewhere that CoastG doesn't require motor rating tags for boats over 14ft or something like that... most bayliner trophies I've seen or read about have 150-175hp singles on them...and maybe a 10hp or so kicker.
I like the security and power of tandems, but if this second motor will cost a bunch, I may not be able to go that route, so I was trying to have a plan B.
In the mean time I'm looking at the Merc forums for info on motors like these and it seem all electronic ignitions and fuel injections complicate things more. Is going to be a little project powering this boat, and I'm debating covering it and dealing in the spring, or trying to tackle as much as possible before the cold hits...