1989 Ski Challenger advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippie3C

Cadet
Just bought a 1989 ski challenger, my first inboard! I've seen lots of mixed reactions on this particular ski boat. I'll be using it mostly for wakeboarding and tubing. Any advice, opinions, ect. On this boat wounld mean a lot to me.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 1989 Ski Challenger advice

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

I've never heard of a Bayliner Ski Challenger (this IS the Bayliner area). If it is a Bayliner, it will have an OMC motor and Cobra outdrive. Treat the outdrive well because you may have a hard time finding someone to repair it. If your boat has a big block motor, it will have the King Cobra outdrive, which is a problem. Not only will most shops refuse to work on it, the parts are hard to find and expensive.

The usual warnings about Bayliners of that era apply: look carefully for signs of rot in the sole (aka "deck"), stringers, and transom.

hippie3C

Cadet

Its a bayliner for sure. Its got a 351w inboard direct drive. I think I uploaded a picture. Most of the mastercraft and correct craft guys say its no good but I really would like to hear from someone who has owned one or been in one, ya know?

Attachments

• IMG00076-20101210-1704.jpg
    IMG00076-20101210-1704.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1

NYBo

Admiral

Sweet looking boat!
Most of the mastercraft and correct craft guys say its no good
Bayliner-bashers are a dime a dozen, especially amongst owners of brands with more snob appeal. But you can laugh all the way to the bank.

TimSpangler

Recruit

Its a bayliner for sure. Its got a 351w inboard direct drive. I think I uploaded a picture. Most of the mastercraft and correct craft guys say its no good but I really would like to hear from someone who has owned one or been in one, ya know?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase this one from? I have been looking for a couple of months and have come across about 2-3 of these in varying years. They seem to be nice boats (especially for a starter like me).

What is your first impression of this boat?

Thanks

TIM

hippie3C

Cadet

I found this one on craigslist D/FW, I was actually looking for a ski nautique or mastercraft and came across this one, never knew bayliner made a direct drive. I haven't had it out on the water yet, needs some work first, but my first impression was it looks pretty modern for a 1989 model!

TimSpangler

Recruit

There are 4 of these near me (sort of) right now 3 '89 and 1 '90. They all seem to be in good shape. The floor was replaced in one of them. I am also looking at a few mid '80's Nautiques as well and a Supra.

I appreciate the input. How does the interior feel (size wise) does it feel roomy. I was initially looking for a Sport Nautique or a Martinique (something with an open bow), but they are still a bit spendy for what I am looking for right now.

I am hoping to have something by the end of January or the beginning of February.

Tim

hippie3C

Cadet

Well to be honest this is the first true "ski boat" I've owned, before this I had a 19' glastron I/O with an open bow. It doesn't seem as roomy as that one, but way more space than my friends 81 ski nautique. All in all I don't think you can find a better deal boat for money as long as you're not partial to correct craft or mastercraft, I still haven't had it on the water, hope I don't eat those words !

beemand

Recruit

i have had my ski challenger in my family since '89. there are many advantages and disadvantages to the boat.
Advantages:
1) The design of the boat is still used on more popular boat designs today. The Windshield design has a "dragster" feel to it. i have always got looks out on the water and the look on the skiers face when i tell them its a 89.
2) the driving of the boat is PERFECT. You can cut the boat in sharp turn and it doesn't really lean to the side like nautiqe does. you can turn the boat 90 degrees at a high speed ( it will kill the motor) but it wont capsize.
3) At 36 mph the wake is smaller then most mastercrafts making it easier to cut through for the salom coarse. if you not a salom skier then no problem at the slower speed the wake it generates will supply you for some of the biggests jumps i have seen without adding weight or a tower. it is a GREAT kneeboard wake at 20 mph.

Disadvantages
1) If you don't know much about motor work on the inboard "direct drive" then it will get expensive to fix and hard to find a mechanic the will work on it.
2) STRONGLY recommend buying a tower for doing anything water sport expect skiing. The reason behind that is if you tube alot and tie it off to the pylon the rope will rub againist the motor cover and causing rips in the fabric. its also like most ski boat if you have passangers (more then what can fit upfront) the rope is low enough that you will "clothes line" the people in the back. to fix that problem what i tell people is to put there backs on the motor cover and you will be fine and not get caught up in the rope. if you can afford a tower no problem i would just us the tow hitch on the ski platform.
3) You have to replace the flooring about every 6 to 9 years because of where you put the ski's when you not using them. (you put the wet ski in the side platform and then you started going and the angle of the boat will cause the water to drip off the ski into the same spot every time)

OVERALL

I wouldnt trade this boat for any other boat because i have skied behind alot of boats for boat shows and everytime i use someone elses boat it just makes me love my boat that much more. i have every year got the boat professional winterized and shrinkwrapped and my boat looks brand new. if you do the right maintance this boat will last you a very long time and you will enjoy every moment just like i have for years.

elknof1

Recruit

Ive been boat owner since kid, and had mastercraft, ski nautike (correct craft), I/O, and outboards, and this is my advice:
Im in love with my 1989 challenger inboard (351 ford engine) direct drive, it handles better than ANY of my other boats, it handles even better than my cousins ski nautique super air 230 with 420 hp, better overall top speet, handling, turns, planning, etc. Im form mexico, and we practice a lot of ski, wake, tubing, in san miguel de allende, guanajuato (state), and theres LOTS of boats masters, malibus, supras, etc and everybody allways tells me that if someday i want to sell my boat to call them... I prefer open bow boats, cause of capacity, and i think is the ONLY thing i miss with this boat, except of that... its a pretty nice boat. The engine is ford 351, with this means ANY mechanic can repair it, the only difference is the exhaust wich is marinized, so it can cool the engine with the water of the lake instead a radiator (every boat have this with the exception of the newest sea doos). The trans is pretty easy to fix, always remember to check oil levels, thats the main reason why this type of trans fails, if you check this always it will give you plenty of smiles :)... congrats for your boat.

mswood62

Recruit

I also have a 89 Ski Challenger which I've owned since 1997. I purchased it from the original owner. It really isn't a Bayliner. Challenger Ski Boats were built by U.S. Marine on the west coast. People mistake them for a Bayliner because of the windshield. Regardless of who made it my wife and I looked at these boats in 1989 when thay came to the East Coast. Finally found ours in 1997, low usage and like new. I have driven and skied and barefooted behind alot of different boats, in my view all others fall short if the Ski Challenger. It nevers fails to draws looks and comments. My boat is 22 years old and still looks modern. These boats were way ahead of their time. Enjoy!

elknof1

Recruit

brunswick co... Brunswick co = us marine (i think its extinct) = bayliner = maxum = sea ray = whaler... and much more... so yes, actually its not bayliner, but really close relative... :)

scooter22!

Recruit

This boat was built by US Marine who was later bought by Bay liner. Great all around boat. I have owned mine for 12 years and it has been very reliable.

ridinair

Recruit

Can anyone tell me what kind of packing material to use around shaft on my boat. 1989 Ski Challenger with 351w. Taking on water from the direct drive shaft.

elknof1

Recruit

teflon or cotton graphite, its is commonly used on deep water pumps, can be buy by meters, youll need no more than a few centimeters, or in your measurments a few inches, maybe 20 inches, no more...

its better this teflon material... http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/299010813/Teflon_Packing.html?s=p

Can anyone tell me what kind of packing material to use around shaft on my boat. 1989 Ski Challenger with 351w. Taking on water from the direct drive shaft.

Last edited:

Lake Person

Recruit

I have a 1989 Bayliner Ski challenger. Problem is behind the steering wheel everything (made out of plastic) has completely shattered. Does anyone know whatthis part would be called? They want a fortune just to look at it. The local Marina says the part is around $250.00 and they refer to it as a steering column bracket assembly. I cannot find this part anywhere listed under that classification. Sorry female and not alot of help around here. This is a fast running boat, I am going to sell after I get this fixed. HELP!!

Last edited:

elknof1

Recruit

A picture would help. By your description and the marina advice Im guessing my advice is the same as your local marina, but anyways, pictures would help a lot.

Lake Person

Recruit

Elknof1,
Thank you for even sending a reply. If you were looking at the dash out of the boat. The circle where the steering wheel goes. There is some type of reinforcement that stabilizes the steering wheel. The part is not out yet. In Dec. of 2010 someone posted a picture of the same boat, (black) they repainted it. Originally it is black with white, hot pink and royal blue seats. It is a picture by hippie 3C I believe.

elknof1

Recruit

Lake Person,
Actually everybody is talking about the same boat in this chain, 1989-91 US Marine Challenger Inboard, direct drive, 351ci. It is actually a base, originally the angle of the steering wheel is adjustable, thats the work of this circle youre talking about. I do believe itll cost 250 more less, I mean, in my opinion is a fair price since its not easy to find. I think it can be replaced by a non original steering column bracket that will cost a lot less, but for the adjustable one I would buy it if needed... Greetings!

Elknof1,
Thank you for even sending a reply. If you were looking at the dash out of the boat. The circle where the steering wheel goes. There is some type of reinforcement that stabilizes the steering wheel. The part is not out yet. In Dec. of 2010 someone posted a picture of the same boat, (black) they repainted it. Originally it is black with white, hot pink and royal blue seats. It is a picture by hippie 3C I believe.

Lake Person

Recruit

Thanks so much. I was just trying to order it online but no one knows what to call this part exactly. Even if there was a way to rig the back of the steering wheel so it could be stable in the dash would be great. You have been so kind to answer me in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.