SPeed sensor on an old Capri

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am trying to get the old capri (1984 cabin w.volvo) I bought over the winter ready for this season and I am wondering about the speed sensor. Not a critical piece, but it would be neat if the speedo worked. I see something down low on the back to the right, looks like a mount for a depth finder, and thats what I thought it was at first. But It has a tube running down to it, but the tube is not attached. (I noticed the tube on the back of the speedo under the dash when I was putting some new switches in)

So Im guessing this was the speed sensor? Its got a spring loaded arm that comes off at an angle and presses a plunger of some sort. It looks like its broken, like there should be something at the end of that arm.

Can anyone clue me in as to if this is in fact the speed sensor and if so how does it work? I may need to order a part for it if that arm is supposed to have a paddle or a vane at the end.

Thanks in advance,
Neil

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: SPeed sensor on an old Capri

Most common is the pitot transom mounted style.

You can get one here at iboats...or find them at any marine store:

http://www.iboats.com/Faria-Pitot-Tube/dm/*******.719998935--**********.091824794--view_id.38659

2ut4tj6.jpg

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah,
Thats the one. Thanks!
Maybe mine is not broken....the barb for the hose on mine is broke a little short, I can fix that though. I was worried the end of mine was missing something but after seeing that maybe not!

Thanks again,
Neil

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

replacements are under $20. West Maine shows them online at $15

NYBo

Admiral

Yeah,
Thats the one. Thanks!
Maybe mine is not broken....the barb for the hose on mine is broke a little short, I can fix that though. I was worried the end of mine was missing something but after seeing that maybe not!

Thanks again,
Neil
If there is any damage, the speedometer will be off, and they aren't extremely accurate to begin with. In the spirit of the forum, you can get a replacement very cheaply right here at iboats:
Pitot and kit