18' Capri Steering Cable Length Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigprairie1

Commander
Guys I have a question for those of you who may have already renewed or changed your steering out.
What length of (Teleflex) steering cable is used on an 18' Bayliner Capri?
Boat specifics are:
-1990: 18' (1800) Capri bowrider (actually I think technically about 17'-10")
-90/90hp Force outboard engine
The boat has pretty stiff steering and I am going to be investigating the stiff steering issue further but I recently saw a local craigslist item for a new in package/never used 12' long complete Teleflex steering cable w/ the underdash bracket stuff.
The teleflex number on the package is SB39526 (ring any bells?)
Many Thanks in advance!!
BP:)

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 18' Capri Steering Cable Length Question

My 1989 Capri 19' (18.5') w/125 Force required a 15' cable. Maybe this will help.

Look real close (with flashlight) at the numbers printed on the black, outside casing. Should tell you the length.

If it's 15' rack and pinion Teleflex, I have a good used one I just took off and exchanged ( nothing wrong with it, slides very easy, no damage, should fit the 90 HP). I was bored and changed it for kicks and giggles.

Let it go cheap. New costs around 150$. Your price? PM me.

Bigprairie1

Commander

My 1989 Capri 19' (18.5') w/125 Force required a 15' cable. Maybe this will help.

Look real close (with flashlight) at the numbers printed on the black, outside casing. Should tell you the length.

If it's 15' rack and pinion Teleflex, I have a good used one I just took off and exchanged ( nothing wrong with it, slides very easy, no damage, should fit the 90 HP). I was bored and changed it for kicks and giggles.

Let it go cheap. New costs around 150$. Your price? PM me.

Many thanks Greg and duly noted.
Here is an update:
I did some troubleshooting on my steering to locate where it is stiff and binding. Of course my first assumption was that it was the steering cable. Anyhow, I disconnected the steering cable from the rear motor connection and ba-da-bing there was no resistance at all within the wheel/steering cable system. SO..this means the binding is back in the motor kingpin pivot. So I'm going to concentrate on getting that moving. I noticed the grease zerk is missing on it.:eek:
So that will be job 1. Next will be to probably add another grease zerk directly on the pad above it...and then blow some grease in there.
Regardless, many thanks...:)
More to come on this.
BP:cool:

Andrew_2202

Recruit

Just found this website. I have a 1994 Bayliner capri. 18.5. I saw where you have a good steering cable. Do you still have it and what would you take for it? My email is andy@merlsinc.com. Thanks.

joysticks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
what is the name of the website Andrew. Is it for all Bayliners?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Status
Not open for further replies.