This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18' Capri Steering Cable Length Question

Guys I have a question for those of you who may have already renewed or changed your steering out.
    What length of (Teleflex) steering cable is used on an 18' Bayliner Capri?
    Boat specifics are:
    -1990: 18' (1800) Capri bowrider (actually I think technically about 17'-10")
    -90/90hp Force outboard engine
    The boat has pretty stiff steering and I am going to be investigating the stiff steering issue further but I recently saw a local craigslist item for a new in package/never used 12' long complete Teleflex steering cable w/ the underdash bracket stuff.
    The teleflex number on the package is SB39526 (ring any bells?)
    Many Thanks in advance!!
    BP
    Big Prairie
    90' Capri- 90 Force
    Apparently....Newt Gingrich has several Pete Seeger records that he hasn't disclosed.

Re: 18' Capri Steering Cable Length Question

My 1989 Capri 19' (18.5') w/125 Force required a 15' cable. Maybe this will help.

Look real close (with flashlight) at the numbers printed on the black, outside casing. Should tell you the length.

If it's 15' rack and pinion Teleflex, I have a good used one I just took off and exchanged ( nothing wrong with it, slides very easy, no damage, should fit the 90 HP). I was bored and changed it for kicks and giggles.

Let it go cheap. New costs around 150$. Your price? PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by gregmsr View Post
      My 1989 Capri 19' (18.5') w/125 Force required a 15' cable. Maybe this will help.

Look real close (with flashlight) at the numbers printed on the black, outside casing. Should tell you the length.

If it's 15' rack and pinion Teleflex, I have a good used one I just took off and exchanged ( nothing wrong with it, slides very easy, no damage, should fit the 90 HP). I was bored and changed it for kicks and giggles.

Let it go cheap. New costs around 150$. Your price? PM me.
      Many thanks Greg and duly noted.
      Here is an update:
      I did some troubleshooting on my steering to locate where it is stiff and binding. Of course my first assumption was that it was the steering cable. Anyhow, I disconnected the steering cable from the rear motor connection and ba-da-bing there was no resistance at all within the wheel/steering cable system. SO..this means the binding is back in the motor kingpin pivot. So I'm going to concentrate on getting that moving. I noticed the grease zerk is missing on it.
      So that will be job 1. Next will be to probably add another grease zerk directly on the pad above it...and then blow some grease in there.
      Regardless, many thanks...
      More to come on this.
      BP
      Big Prairie
      90' Capri- 90 Force
      Apparently....Newt Gingrich has several Pete Seeger records that he hasn't disclosed.

Comment

Just found this website. I have a 1994 Bayliner capri. 18.5. I saw where you have a good steering cable. Do you still have it and what would you take for it? My email is andy@merlsinc.com. Thanks.

Comment

what is the name of the website Andrew. Is it for all Bayliners?

Comment

Originally posted by joysticks View Post
            what is the name of the website Andrew. Is it for all Bayliners?
            Ancient thread! joysticks Asking for help from a member with 1 post 6 years ago is pretty sad.

The name of the website is iboats.com, the sponsor of this forum. At the bottom of this page http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Controls-...468--view_id.8 is a procedure for measuring cables.

This is closed!

BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
            Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
            That is what the forums are for.
            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Working...
            X