• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering wheel removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel removal

Can anyone tell me how to remove my steering wheel? Doesn't look at all like an automotive one?

Thanks!

Bear
    " Jackson Lee II " 2003 Key West 1720 CC, 2003 Yamaha 115 TRLB

Lund S-14 Resto http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...1971-lund-14-s

Re: Steering wheel removal

Bayliner used standard steering hardware and wheels. Usually a teleflex helm and Dino wheel. That means a tapered keyed shaft that holds the wheel on with a nut. Pry off the center cap of the wheel and expose the nut and shaft. Loosen the nut until even with the end of the shaft, and while pulling up on the wheel, strike the nut with a hammer and the wheel should pop loose. Remove the nut and the wheel will come off.
    sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
      Bayliner used standard steering hardware and wheels. Usually a teleflex helm and Dino wheel. That means a tapered keyed shaft that holds the wheel on with a nut. Pry off the center cap of the wheel and expose the nut and shaft. Loosen the nut until even with the end of the shaft, and while pulling up on the wheel, strike the nut with a hammer and the wheel should pop loose. Remove the nut and the wheel will come off.
      Bingo !!
      A shot of PB Blaster if really stubborn - and apply a little waterproof grease on the shaft before reinstalling. Tape that key onto the shaft so you don't loose it. Please don't ask me how I know that !!!
      Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance

Comment

Thanks dudes!

I figured it was like that... Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a special puller tool!

Thanks again!

Bear
        " Jackson Lee II " 2003 Key West 1720 CC, 2003 Yamaha 115 TRLB

Lund S-14 Resto http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...1971-lund-14-s

Comment

Working...
        X