New boat (atleast new to me)

wanttofly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In the process of buying a 1990 Capri with the 5.7 Alpha one. I think that I am getting a pretty good deal on it after looking all over for the boat.
Couple of questions.
Overal are these pretty good boats and engines?
Was told it was a 20ft by the owner, title says 21'7", for appraising purposes which is it?
What are some of the problems with this specific boat? Want to know for the test drive and also to know what to do once I have the boat to prevent a costly repair.
What are some of the general prices I should try to stay in purchasing the boat?

Thanks for your help!

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New boat (atleast new to me)

1st the 5.7 is an excelent motor and the Alpha drive is bullet proof. Make sure it has a good or new impeller in the outdrive water pump, change the drive oir and motor oil at least 1 X per boating season.

General problems well hell, any boat can have any problem. Bayliners a re really reliably but you are talkign about a boat over 10 years old. I have a 93 2755 cruser and it had a lot of problems that I wish it didnt have but were expected on a 13 year old boat.

With my experiance now on an older mid 90's boat you ll want to make sure the U jounts in the drive shaft are good, check gymbal bearing, all bellow's things like that.

These were my majoy problems and required an engine pull more then once and now at this point my entire transom sealing has been rebuilt. Check for calcuim deposits around the transom plate it can tell a story if water has been leaking in where it shouldnt be.

Try and get as much history as you can from the original owner good or bad, you need to know as it can save you a lot of time or give you an idea of what you need to do to get it ready for the water.

Over all if the boat is in good shape and has been cared for well you problably will be ok with a lot of things. Mercrusers are terfic motors and you can do a lot of maintance work on them your self.

a2theb

Cadet

I have a '91 Capri 2050 which should be similar to what you are getting, but wuth 5.0LX V8. Bayliner185 pretty much covered it. When I was looking for boats around this size, I noticed a lot of rotted floors especially towards the aft. I was fortunate with the one I found, solid floors, all maintenance records. Last service by PO was FULL tune up (bellows, gimble bearing, impellar, engine tune up, new battery, plugs, cap, you name it... $1200+) all on his dime about a month before selling it. The gelcoat was faded and interior wearing out but to him it didn't look good anymore. PO only owned it less than a year and knew nothing about boats. All in all, bought the boat for $3k. After a little, no, a lot of elbow grease, the boat is more than I expected. Runs great and performs better than I expected for a 17 year old boat! I guess you can say I was very lucky in my deal.

Just look over every inch of the boat as you can, open everything up, bang on the floor, test every function, check fuses and wiring, etc. Try to have them fire it up hooked up to the hose when you're there and not beforehand.

Here's a pic of it all cleaned up. I wish I took a before pic. Huge difference!
Good luck and post pics!

Attachments

• IMG_9156.jpg
    IMG_9156.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1

Bigprairie1

Commander

Those early 90's Capri's are great looking boats. Mine is the 18'/90hp Force Outboard version but I always admire its appearance in the marina and so far it has been reliable.
I'm not sure of their shortcomings (yet) but I know I don't love the drive-seating position too much. It seems to be too low and set too far back. I'm thinking of how I might elegantly remedy this issue (any ideas guys?).
As well, I think (and I'm guessing a bit here) that the design shape of the boat limited how well the canvas keeps rain out. On mine, I keep it covered now all the time pretty much because the rain seems to easily find ways through the standard canvas quickly.
I've included a pic here of a similar Capri to yours painted up and modified...great looking. Note: this is not my boat but was posted previously by someone else.
BP:cool:

Attachments

• Capri 1RA.JPG
    Capri 1RA.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 1

a2theb

Cadet

I agree with the helm seating position. I'm either sitting on the top of the seat back or on my knees on top of the seat bottom. My future remedy to that, when the $$$ becomes available is to remove both back to back seats, install 2 swivel pedestal seats, and create a new full width bench just forward of the engine. This will still keep the same seating capacity but allow more open area space with the swivel seats and also create a new sun pad above the engine for the ladies to lay out on. Planning on doing the rough framing out of the bench at the end of the season.

I also tend to find puddles of water on the bow seats despite the bow cover being on AND a boat cover. I think it may have to do with condensation, other than that, I suggest a cover support pole (or paint roller extension pole with a small towel or rag taped around the end) centered just behind the ski locker and extended just past the height of the windshield. Haven't had my cover pool up with water since.

I think every Capri owner has the pic of that red Capri! It is an amazing job. I'm hoping to get mine restored as nice as that.... but it'll be a looooong journey! $$$$ :eek:

wanttofly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am paying $6000 for it, I leave today to go get it. The boat really seems to be in great shape. I hope that this is going to be a great boat for many years to come.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

.. well then today is one of the two greatest days of a boaters life for you. congrats and pics once settled! :)

wanttofly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a custom bow cover, but only a generic boat cover. How would I go about finding a custom cover the snaps to what is already there to cover the whole boat. I have seen the semi custom covers advertised here, just would like the original.

azlakes

... give these folks a ring. they specialize in bay's and can hook you up. try for a closeout special cause its gunna cost some coin.

http://www.letastopshop.com/

g-luck

wanttofly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all of the help. I will post pictures once I figure out how to reduce them, iboats willn't let me put them on.

Another question. I know that my boat is a 1990 Bayliner Capri. I can't find anywhere that says the model number. I tried looking it up on NADA and I think it is a 2250. The title says 21'7", 5.7L engine, and a open bow. How can I varify the model number. Is there somewhere that I can call and give them the identification number and verify it?

azlakes

Here is a cut from another thread. Give Bayliner a call and they can walk you thru finding the info you seek:

For anyone else that's interested, I found the customer service phone no. for Bayliner. 360-435-5571. In Arlington, Washington. I requested an owners manual for a 1989 Bayliner 2755 Sunbridge and they said they would send it out - no charge. That was easy. Spoil me rotten!

eeboater

Commander

I've included a pic here of a similar Capri to yours painted up and modified...great looking. Note: this is not my boat but was posted previously by someone else.
BP:cool:

Wow... that is a BEAUTIFUL Capri. Makes me want to do that to my boat!

wanttofly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I sold this boat, making room for a inboard boat that I will buy this winter. What a great boat it turned out to be with hundreds of hours for my family and me. I never had any problems with the boat and was able to sale it rather easy. They say the two best days of a boat owner is the day you buy and the day you sale, don't agree, I miss the boat a lot. Someone on this tread said that the engine and outdrive are bullet proof, they were right. Anyone looking for a first boat, or something with great lines to it, this year, make, and model would be a great place to start.