1992 - 1950 Bayliner Capri - Fuel Gauge not working

clembo

Cadet
Hi,

I have an 1992, 1950 Bayliner Capri.

The fuel tank is internal (engine outboard) and the petrol gauge is on the dashboard is not working.

Does anyone know have a checklist that I could use to try and get the fuel gauge working?

Finally, is it worthwhile considering replacing the internal fuel tank with one I can remove - is this an easy job?

Thanks.

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: 1992 - 1950 Bayliner Capri - Fuel Gauge not working

I've never had to repair one but it is probably (usually?) a wiring issue.
(I wouldn't take on any repair of this unless the fuel/petrol tank was empty myself...so you might want to run it down and drain the remainder out. After that make your both/all batteries and power are fully off and/or disconnected....no sparks!!).
Do you have the little centre access cuddy hole leading into the bilge area at the back of the boat? If so you can see the fuel tank connection right there I think.
I would then get in there and check out the connections to the sending unit and make sure they aren't corroded/green. If they are refasten them.
As well, check under the dash at the connections to the fuel gauge there.
Anyways thats a reasonable place to some troubleshooting.

MikDee

Banned

Chack as bigprarie1 says first, if no luck, then probably your float is not working correctly, check to see if you have access to the float to take it out, and check it's operation.

clembo

Cadet

Thanks folks good advice.

Electrics look serioulsy corroded.

My dad always says stay away from two things water and electrics - this is the ultimate challenge:)

Just did a HIN check, its a 1990.

Bigprairie1

Commander

My dad always says stay away from two things water and electrics - this is the ultimate challenge:)

This rule usually applies when they are both within touching distance (one hand each). However the electric/power issues in this arrangement are minor...12 volt DC power is quite a different story compared to 115V/ac power. You shouldn't have any problems and you are unlikely to get hurt.
Be careful trying to undo the connections so that you don't break anything off. The prudent thing to do is to get in there the night before you want to do the main work and hit the connections with some lubricant (WD40/Liquid Wrench). Make sure you clean everything up and wipe everything off carefully when you are done.
Its also a good chance to wipe down and clean your back bilge area around the bilge pump.
Good luck.

clembo

Cadet

Hi,

After much digging around -it now transpires that I have a 1990 1800 Capri Bowrider (red/ grey/ white/blue interior).

In the absence of a fuel gauge could anyone tell me the capacity of the fuel tank.

Also, is there anywhere I can get a copy of the owners manual from?

Still very much a cadet, but learning by the day.

So many questions - the floor is carpetted, and the trim old and I would like to replace all.

Re the floor - what is the best material for reflooring the boat

Re the trim - the trim seems to screwed onto the boat and then the trim stuck on. Is there a recommended procedure for removing the trim (the reupholstering is fine) and then reattaching the trim?

Bigprairie1

Commander

According to the owner' manual the 90', 18' Bayliner Capri has a 21 Gallon (U.S) gas tank capacity. Sound about right?
Thats slightly smaller than a imperial gallon...which I found out filling it up at one point. I can't remember how many litres it was.
I've got an 90' owners manual however I've had some difficulties scanning it and getting some of the more important info posted here.

macr6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check this site out

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/Electrical-02.htm

It is what I used to trouble shoot my gauge on my capri. You need a multimeter , flash light, extra pair of hands and a load of patience and if you read and understand that website you shoulld be able to narrow down the problem.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Check this site out

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/Electrical-02.htm

It is what I used to trouble shoot my gauge on my capri. You need a multimeter , flash light, extra pair of hands and a load of patience and if you read and understand that website you shoulld be able to narrow down the problem.

Handy schematic...good to know.
Quick departure from topic for a second...do you have an old chevy or GMC?

Daphne444

Seaman Apprentice

I just received a copy of the boat owners manual of my 1990 1800 Capri from Bayliner. Bigprairie was trying to help me out in another thread by copying some of his manual, but then someone else suggested that I give Bayliner a call. Bayliner customer service took my HIN and after a couple of weeks they sent me a xeroxed copy of the boat owners manual. (Note: this is only the boat owners manual, the Force engine manual I have not been able to get a hold of.)

The number I called at Bayliner was 360-435-5571, but your local dealer may be able to get a more local number for you.

Give that a shot, it doesn't cost anything and so far I'm impressed with Bayliners customer service.

macr6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Handy schematic...good to know.
Quick departure from topic for a second...do you have an old chevy or GMC?

no but this is what I used to help fix my gauge problem.

clembo

Cadet

Is it feasible to replace the existing fuel tank with an external one that I can take to the petrol station?

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Why replace the fuel tank unless it is bad/leaking? The sender unit inside the tank goes bad on units this old which is likely the problem. Like I did, simply get a new universal sender unit (farily inexpensive check here on iboats) which will include float arm, etc. and replace it. Now mine works fine, at least as accurate as any internal tank gauge can work.

Simple task too.

Joe

hank3rd

Cadet

Ok, I used the instructions from the link. I grounded the sending wire and it was supposed to register empty, but instead it registered full. TO make a long story short, I took the gauge out to test it like the instructions say. I put 12v power to the power terminal and grounded both. It is full when grounded and empty when not, which is the opposite of the instructions. Does this mean the gauge is bad?