First time boat owner

JeromieS

Recruit
I need help. I just bought my first real boat. Its a beautiful 1989 Baretta Sucess 200 with OMC 4.3 and Cobra II sterndrive. I cant find any info on the boat. The motor and outdrive are fairly new. I would like to keep them that way. What are the standard starting procedures and what do i need to do when I am done playing for the day? Any Info would be great.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: First time boat owner

Welcome to iboats . . . OMC has been out of business for over ten years . . . so when you say the engine and outdrive are 'new', do you mean recently rebuilt?

If you have not taken a boater safety course, then it would be highly recommended. They will cover some of the basics on starting procedures and precautions for a marine engine.

Most boats are the same in terms of starting up and putting away . .. a lot would depend on if you plan to keep it in the water or trailer/launch each time you use it.

JeromieS

Recruit

I believe they were rebuilt. The guy I bought the boat from said "new" and they look new and the motor sounds great, but like you said OMC is no more...lol. I plan on using the boat all year long.... lots of fishing, but I am afraid of water freezing in motor/ outdrive. Is there a way to drain after using for the day. Also do i just rinse the boat down after every use or only when i use in salt water?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I need help. I just bought my first real boat. Its a beautiful 1989 Baretta Sucess 200 with OMC 4.3 and Cobra II sterndrive. I cant find any info on the boat. The motor and outdrive are fairly new. I would like to keep them that way. What are the standard starting procedures and what do i need to do when I am done playing for the day? Any Info would be great.

Jeromie, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but OMC hasn't been in the sterndrive business for the last 10 years. (read below article)

GLM Products Inc - 30 Years of the OMC Sterndrive

Finding parts for the motor and sterndrive, for the purposes of maintaining it, are going to be a nightmare. I wish you had checked in sooner as we could have advised against the purchase.

tpenfield

Staff member

I am afraid of water freezing in motor/ outdrive. Is there a way to drain after using for the day. ?

There are drain fittings on the lower portion of the engine block . . . . For the exhaust manifolds, you can just pull the lower hoses off . . . you can also pull the hose off the lower portion of the recirculating pump on the front of the engine.

Also do i just rinse the boat down after every use or only when i use in salt water?
Rinse, wash, whatever pleases you. It depends on how messy the boat got on any particular outing, how much salt spray, etc.

JeromieS

Recruit

Thank you very much. Gonna go down to Westmarine and pick up a book. Also gonna take Boater Saftey Course. If any one thinks of something else I need to know please tell me. I am really over my head here....lol.