1989 Barretta 18.5 w/ 4cy; 120hp volvo penta - good first boat?

seizethecarp

Cadet
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some wisdom. I found a 1989 Barretta 18.5 w/ 4cy; 120hp volvo penta. for sale for $1500.... owner says "Upholstery was redone about 5 years ago. Fish finder. Open bow. Radio. Swim deck on rear. Comes with cover and 2 person towable. Boat and trailer new tags/registration. Runs good, engine is clean. It needs new throttle and shifter cables"

Is this boat worth it (if its as stated)? I'm going ot look at it tomorrow and could use some thoughts on things to look for and opinions on this boat if your willing.

Back ground on me
I am/will be a first time boat owner, trying to get the family on the water to play for the summer 2 kiddos under 8yrs old. I'm very mechanical and not afriad to get dirty and sweat. 89 barretta4.jpg89 barretta1.jpg89 barretta2.jpg89 barretta3.jpg

captmello

Captain
Re: 1989 Barretta 18.5 w/ 4cy; 120hp volvo penta - good first boat?

Sounds like its worth a look. With an old boat its all about maintenance and general care. Check for rot in the ski locker by tapping the sides. If it sounds low and hollow, its rotten. I would be suprised if there is no rot, just how much, is the question.

It also may be a little underpowered if you plan on slalom skiing, i doubt it will pull up a grown man on one ski. otherwise it should pull a tube fine.

Let us know what it looks like in person.