I Have one also

Twisted1

Cadet
I have one also. I just bought it 3 weeks ago. It is a 1989 Baretta SS 18' open bow w/a 120. I have had it on the water 5 times already and I love it. I can't say for sure how fast it is, I think I need to recalibrate the speed sensor cause it says I'm doing 31, which seems slow for a 120hp with a 18 P prop. I have a 1960 Wizard with a Johnson 40 that will do 27 under the right conditions.

I do have one question tho, I took a closer look at the motor. The motor is a 2.5L but it has a 3.0L carburetor. Has any one heard of this.

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I Have one also

Welcome to the forum.

I have read speedometers in boats are not accurate, especially at low speeds. They get clogged with stuff from the water. GPS is the way to get an accurate reading.

You may want to check the flotation foam under the deck to see if it's soggy. That will add weight and slow the boat down.

As for carbs, I don't know, but I suppose parts could get swapped around over the years. My Baretta SS has a Ford Cobra (1987), and it came with a Mustang II distributor, which is going to get removed and replaced with a marine (Mallory) distributor before I splash this one.

I do have a question for you on your Baretta: Does it have an engine hour meter on the dash?

captmello

Captain

Nice to see another Minnesota guy with a Baretta on the Boards.

Post a pic of your boat.

Twisted1

Cadet

Now that I checked I doesn't have a hour meter on the dash. Would be nice to have one. Checked the foam up front and it's ok. I have been using the speedometer on the fish finder,
I have a Eagle Fish Mark 320, Came with the boat. I am thinking about putting on my Lowrance 350a and giving it another run. Could also be the prop, I believe it's a 18p.