1987 Baretta SS, OMC 2.3L Cobra

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class
My original intent was (still is) to buy a goode olde tri-hull (15' -16') for a 90 HP Chrysler O/B I have. I see hulls advertised at these salvage lots for $50 to $300. I've been to a few and have seen a couple half decent ones with solid floors and transom (less work). These hulls don't come with trailers, that's extra. The boat salvage lots offer a used trailer for $300-$400 that looks like it was pulled out of a Louisiana brackish water swamp after Katrina.

So I go looking for a good trailer I can haul around to the junk yards, and if I find a good hull, I'll buy it, load it and haul it home. The two good hulls I saw didn't last long. One was a Manatee tri-hull for $150. Very nice. I liked the deep vee/tri-hull design it had.

Searching the local ad newspaper, I spotted a small, poorly worded ad with very little info, except 1987 Baretta. It wasn't far away so I went and looked at it. Nice trailer! Channel beam constrution, no rust, everything in good condition. The Baretta had an OMC 2.3L Cobra and 95 hours on the meter. It also had many thousands of hours setting uncovered under a tree and won't start. Transom, stringers, floor (well, floor is not too bad) are rotted.
The boat is not sea-worthy at this point.

For the price of a good used trailer ($400), I bought it and hauled it home.

I am now going thru it and seeing if it's worth fixing or should it be parted out.
The engine has checked out fine. With new points and condensor, and fresh fuel, it fired right off. Good compression, good oil pressure, no water in the oil, runs smooth, starts easily. No oil leaks.

I do have a few questions about Barettas, if there are any with experience, I'd like to hear some feedback.

One thing I found odd is the ski locker is completely carpeted. Did it come that way from the factory? See attached photo.

It looks like the floor has been worked on in the ski locker photo.

Attachments

• 2010 29 Jan Baretta 005b.jpg
    2010 29 Jan Baretta 005b.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010 29 Jan Baretta 004b.jpg
    2010 29 Jan Baretta 004b.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010 08 Mar Baretta Controls 035b.jpg
    2010 08 Mar Baretta Controls 035b.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Baretta SS, OMC 2.3L Cobra

There are things I like about the Baretta. Other things I don't. And things yet unknown about this boat.

One thing impressive is the choice of instruments. This set of Faria's has been out in the weather for years. They all still work. So far, no problems with the electrical system have surfaced. It charges at 14.2 VDC. No blown fuses or circuit breakers.

I like the looks and the layout of the instrument panel, and the panel with the indicator lights. I like having the pushbutton breakers right there on the panel.

See attached photos.

Attachments

• 2010 08 Mar Baretta Controls 023b.jpg
    2010 08 Mar Baretta Controls 023b.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010 08 Mar Baretta Controls 028b.jpg
    2010 08 Mar Baretta Controls 028b.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010 08 Mar Baretta Controls 030b.jpg
    2010 08 Mar Baretta Controls 030b.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010 08 Mar Baretta Controls 031b.jpg
    2010 08 Mar Baretta Controls 031b.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010 09 Mar Baretta After Cleanup 005b.jpg
    2010 09 Mar Baretta After Cleanup 005b.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you did great for 400 bucks.

its up to you weather you want to redo the floor and transom. or find a better hull in the junk yard and swap all the parts over.

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, colobiker.

My heart says fix it (regardless, the OMC, 2.3L drive).

My head says, part it out and keep the trailer. I'm still going thru the Cobra to determine if it's any good. If I hit any kind of expensive glitch with the Cobra, I'm parting it out.

If everything checks out, what I've got is an obsolete OMC with 95 hours and a lot of use left in it. I'm not rough on my stuff, so I think I could make it last for a while.

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear you about the heart stuff.

I am struggling over a 70's charger jet boat. with stuck 460, thats been sitting outdoors for over 10 years..
my head says.. part it out, sell the headers, and other marine stuff and scrap the hull.

my heart says.. oh yea.. jet boat with a 460.. could be a cool retro ride.

captmello

Captain

Nice looking boat. I'd be willing to bet that hour meter is an add on. I've had good luck with my electronics as well.

Colobiker-nice to see you posting again, whats the status of your Baretta?

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice looking boat. I'd be willing to bet that hour meter is an add on. I've had good luck with my electronics as well.

Maybe, but I've seen that same meter in the same place on another Super Sport. The PO claims it shows the correct hours. And it does work. It's showing 97 hours on it now.

The engine is very clean. No oil leaks or residue. How many marine engines have you seen with 300+ hours that didn't have oil on the outside somewhere?

All the edges of the gaskets still have the factory gray paint. This motor has not been worked on, other than the distributor.

captmello

Captain

Maybe, but I've seen that same meter in the same place on another Super Sport. The PO claims it shows the correct hours. And it does work. It's showing 97 hours on it now.

The engine is very clean. No oil leaks or residue. How many marine engines have you seen with 300+ hours that didn't have oil on the outside somewhere?

All the edges of the gaskets still have the factory gray paint. This motor has not been worked on, other than the distributor.

Well maybe it is original. What does does that mean? Motor sat for long periods of time without use. As you said, sounds like it runs good. May be worth a resto...

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

captmello,

Do you have any photos of your Baretta posted anywhere?

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

captmello,

Thanks for the link. Your Success is a good looking boat. My SS is rather plain compared to the Baretta Success and the Baretta cuddies. But it's a 16'er.

Nice looking stripes on the sides on your boat.

captmello

Captain

captmello,

Thanks for the link. Your Success is a good looking boat. My SS is rather plain compared to the Baretta Success and the Baretta cuddies. But it's a 16'er.

Nice looking stripes on the sides on your boat.

Thanks, it looks best from a distance.:rolleyes:

I think the main difference between the two models is the swim platform being integrated into the hull and cap. Makes the rear of the boat look good, IMO.

Here's a pic from the rear. Normally the swim platform sits closer to the water but everyone is sitting in the bow in this pic.

I'll have to snap a pic of my helm next time I'm at the boat, in a week or so. It's different than yours but very similar in style. You may enjoy seeing it.

Have you decided what your going to do with yours??

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Have you decided what your going to do with yours??"

No. I'm still going over the various components. The engine is good. I'm pretty sure the Cobra outdrive is good. It shifts in and out of gear so slick, it's better than my Mercury/Force.

The Cobra outdrive makes no noises or vibrations. It is really smooth. I'm pleased with that.

If I do put a new transom, stringers and deck in it, it will be this fall. I'll hire a shop to do the work and make sure the boat comes back better than new.

But I may part out the OMC stuff and repower with a Mercruiser. Undecided yet.

I paid $400 for it. It will cost approximately $4,500 to refurbish, at least.

Attachments

• 2010 29 Jan Baretta Washed 001b.jpg
    2010 29 Jan Baretta Washed 001b.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010 09 Mar Baretta After Cleanup 003b.jpg
    2010 09 Mar Baretta After Cleanup 003b.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: