Baretta Boats

tonyg11780

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently stumbled upon a 1989 Baretta 21? cuddy cabin with a straight six mercruiser that was just put in last summer. He is asking 1850 for the boat, and it looks to be in pretty decent condition. I have never been around barettas and would like to know a few things. First, is the boat worth the money if the floor and transom are solid? How do these boats run out? Is there anything particular I need to know before I tackle this specific boat?

Thank you for any advice you can provide me...

Tony G.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Baretta Boats

How much experiance do you have in inspecting a boat? Can you water test it?

$1850 does not sound bad but if there are hidden problems it could be terrible.

Post a request for help if you need it in Dockside Chat looking for other members in your area to lend a hand at looking at it.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

If the floor is weak you're probably looking at a complete rebuild (see my thread). I paid a grand for mine & had I known the floor was in such bad condition I would not have paid as much. If the engine/outdrive are in good shape I'd only give 500 max & would be hesitate about that. The seats don't look original and most likely the side panels are gone too. I've seen that boat listed before & it looks like a lot of work.

As for my Baretta it handled very well before I tore her apart. Luckily my engine & drive are in great shape.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I don't care for the outdrive being tied up..... I bet there are mechanical problems too

tonyg11780

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, the boat is still there. He has gone down to a grand, and I bet I could get it for less. The floor is rotten in the middle, and I bet that I would have to rip it all up and replace the stringers. The transom seems to be solid. The outdrive is tied up becauset he solenoid, I can tell that much. I would be happy to put a floor and stringers in it, and do some cosmetic and light mechanical work. The engine runs smooth. Can anyone tell me what kind of Baretta that is? He says its 21', but it would be a big 21, looks to me more like 22 without putting a tape to it. If I dont mind installing stringers and a floor, and doing some light mechanical and cosmetic....would it be worth 750?

Thanks,
TonyG

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

If the outdrive & motor are in good condition then I think 750 is not too bad. I'd go in thinking worse case scenario and have a realistic budget in mind. I posted a brochure under this link & it looks like the model you're looking at is on the first page (if my memory serves me correctly).

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Did you pick it up, or pass on it over?