Admit it...You have a Baretta

Status
Not open for further replies.

snlgraham

Seaman Apprentice
Bought my Baretta last spring. It is a 1980 16ft tri-hull with a 4 bangin 140 mercruiser. Had to gut the whole thing down to the hull. New stringers, foam, floor, carpet, seats, bolsters and lots more. The power plant is solid but old and occasionally needs attention. It is very light for this engine and it will get up and go. Does 46mph wot when trimmed properly. The trihull gets a bid dicey at that speed. will post pics when can. Right now I am working on a snap cover for it as it is sittin in a slip and the rain clouds are threatening.
Any one else out there that will own up to havin a Baretta?

jclemmojoe

Recruit
Re: I admit it...I have a Baretta

Yeh I have one too! I own an '82 186 with the 470 Mercruiser stern drive. I have completely rebuilt the boat including new floor, inside upholstery ,seats and stipped and repainted the outside with two tone Imron. Turned out really nice.

I am now attempting to change from manual to power steering and would sure welcome some help with anyone that has this combo with power steering. I have no idea where to mount the pump, overflow tank and the unit itself on the transom.

Anyone out there that can help it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

DoubleM

Recruit

I have one in Texas. Bought several years ago at a bargain, I think.
It's 21-foot open bow with 260 hp Mercruiser and runs like a dream, but had to refinish and varnish all the wood throughout. The upholstery had already been replaced with clean custom work. My question is: Why should I be reluctant to admit it? I've certainly owned worse, but haven't really had much time since I bought the Baretta to actually use it.

snlgraham

Seaman Apprentice

No offense doubleM, but after tearing it down to the hull and rebuilding it, I found out what they skimped on. Like fiberglass on the floor and stringers, they only used resin. When the fuel tank was installed it was laid on top of the drain hose from the open bow. so any water that got in the bow went right onto those unglassed stringers and into the foam. I gues that unglassed floors are normal in some parts of the country and for that era.
Any way, I shouldn't cry. It turned out pretty nice. Even skiied behind it last sunday. Named her "Blue-by-U". I know..... heard that one before. Was a family vote.
Here is a picture of the fam. and one of my 10yr old and the 6.5lbs rainbow that she hooked into on opening day. Yep, that is blood on the new carpet.......I wouldn't have it any other way. Gonna try wake boarding this weekend.

Shawn

Attachments

• DSC_0004 copy.jpg
    DSC_0004 copy.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Lainiesfishsmall.jpg
    Lainiesfishsmall.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1

cm5408

Seaman

....Does 46mph wot when trimmed properly. The trihull gets a bid dicey at that speed...

46?? sounds pretty good, rather awesome for a 4 banger with a tri hull!!

i have had the same issues with wood rotting. replaced almost all of the wood for the seats, motor box and mis. trim around the inside. got to love the steel staples that they used for every thing...should have atleast used stainless or galvanized so they wouldnt rust and completely dissappear there for holding nothing together.

1989 20ft supersport with a 305 volvo penta. I cant complain too much except for the weight, a bit heavy, but for an older boat, she runs pretty well. would love to have feul injection or a better designed hull and or prop, but all and all, she is good to me.

snlgraham

Seaman Apprentice

Okay CM, maybe you caught me. It did do 46 before I put a timing light on it. Now it will do 42mph wot with only me in it and a little trim. but it is running better over all.
Any one know where to find the plastic baretta logo that goes on the side of the hull? One of mine was missing when I got it and the other was smashed. Not sure that I want to put baretta on the side, but then again I wanted to name her the Blue Light Special(got the seats at kmart).

sweetcheeks

Cadet

I too have a Baretta. Its an '89 Phaser 230. Has v6 4.3 mercruiser. I like it. My second Baretta. Had a '91 2000cc 20' cuddy with a 4 cylinder volvo penta. Had it almost 10 years. Got the Phaser last August. Had it a year now.

cm5408

Seaman

'89 Phaser 230. Has v6 4.3 mercruiser

a 4.3 in a phaser? never heard of that. has it been repowered? how does it run with that smaller motor in it?

sweetcheeks

Cadet

It runs great with the 4.3. Its hitting 43 mph on the speedometer but how accurate is that after 18 years. As far as I know this is what it came with. My old 20' cc had a 4 cylinder and from any info I could find out the Phaser is a couple hundred pounds lighter.

cm5408

Seaman

a 2000cc' i think i am confussed. is that a 200ss?

i thought the same of my speedo and had to take a gps out one day. from 0 - 25 my boat speedo is junk but from 25 up it is dead on. interesting. well i did replace the pickup and tube line last year.

rkarsk

Recruit

We have a 1988 Success 180 with a 4.3l 2bbl carb. We bought it a year ago. The boat is in geat shape and runs good. We like it for skiing and tubing. Yeah, I get more water in it than I think it should and I will be checking it out next season. I researched Baretta boats and came across a forum talking about the hull stress cracking by the motor mounts. I looked at mine and didn't see any. I guess this was problem at one time. Anyone running a 14 1/4x19 prop with this set up? What rpms are you running? I have a 23pitch on now and want to go down so I can pull two skiers.

sweetcheeks

Cadet

I have the Baretta Phaser 230 with the 4.3l 2 barrel. For a 18 year old boat the hull is excellent. Bottom was never painted. This one I trailer. I had a 20' Baretta 2000 cc. Kept it in the water during the summer at a marina for 9 years. No hull or stringer problems. The Phaser with the 4.3l I have the SS mirage plus 19" pitch. Can't help you with the RPM. The tach is only hitting 3300 rpm. I think its wrong. Only got this boat end of 06. Used it the way it was in 07. At the start of this season, thats my top priority. Test the tach. Good luck with your baretta.

sparky1309

Recruit

Hello-Iam also a fellow Baretta owner 1981 16' v hull 140.Have owned for 7years and redone floor and stringers.
Some pics-
Floor 2002-
is_00009.jpg

Waiting for spring
is_00012600x450.jpg

Nice to see a forum for us Baretta owners.

Last edited:

coolhandedd

Recruit

Yup I got one too AND LOVE IT
Its a 1980 16ft with a 120hp It has all the usual pros and cons....BUT>>> It only has 63 hrs on it total its been doing a lot of sittin be for I got it. I am going to go through the electrics for any age related signs of fatigue. I do have an issue with the alternator, which is about the only thing I have really had to deal with.

sparky1309

Recruit

More Baretta pics-

014.jpg

Last edited:

I bought my baretta last year and we had a blast i cant wait to get it in the water. I bought it from the original owner that purchased it new in 89. it has a gm 5.7 350 with the cobra outdrive. I'm having some problems with the reverse that im trying to get resolved but i think its a pretty awesome boat. we had it doing 57 or 58 on the gauge with 4 people in it. no stress cracks or problems yet. Im not ashamed of my boat i dont know what the big stink is. here are some pics. i would like to talk to other owners of the 230 cuddy phasers to see how they like there boats. just thought id put my testimony and pics in... thanks!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

sweetcheeks

Cadet

Hey Benzman,
I have the '89 phaser 230 with the mercruiser 4.3 L v6. I think its great and looks great. Yours too looks great. I need to get some updated pics. If you follow the threads I have 2 pics of it in Show your boat. Good luck with yours. You will enjoy it.

melissak

Recruit

My husband and I have recently traded for a Baretta Phaser. I thought ours was a 203 tho. We are haveing to do some work to it but its okay. I am needing to get cushions for the front and new seats. I will worry about the sides after the summer is over. My question is does anyone know where to get replacement cushions?? I have found all kinds of seats but no cushions. I am excited about our boat. We have a 75 deck boat so I am diffently excited about upgrading to something alot nicer.

captmello

Captain

Can anyone help me. I admit to buying a Baretta yesterday. A 20' Success bowrider. I'm trying to find some info on it. Its got a 5.7 Volvo penta with a volvo 275 outdrive. Any comments on this setup? Does anyone know the HP rating for this motor? Is has a Rochester Quadrajet carb, is that stock? Seem to run good, takin it out today!

henrydwh

Cadet

My friend just bought a 1980 success 16' 115hp mercury outboard. I was asked to look up any info on this boat. I can't find any, I know the company went out of bussiness a few years back, but I would think I could find out more than I have! Any input, thoughts or ideas on or about this boat would be very helpful! It needs a lot of TLC! Thank you in advance!

It looks a lot like the picture in Sparky's post, same color, although his looks to be a inboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.