Info needed on 1980 Baja 180BR

Burglary5%

Cadet
I recently got my hands on a 1980 18' BAJA bow rider. When I got it I knew it needed alot of work I already have the cap off the transom and stringers out and am getting ready to put it all back together. It came with a 1973 Johnson 135 which does run with a few problems but easy fixes. I have always been a fan of the Mercury and am thinking about changing to a Black Max 150, problem being I can not find a manufacturers plate saying what the Max horsepower for the boat is. Like I said I have completely disasembled the boat there is no plate.
Does anyone have any idea about this model BAJA, is 150hp legal, they do check on occasion whereI will be going so I am not looking to push my luck. I appreciate any responses I think the boat will handle it no problem but I haven't seen to many of these old Baja's around.

jaywylie

Cadet
Re: Info needed on 1980 Baja 180BR

My 1978 16' Baja trihull came with an Evinrude 140, but the plate says its rated for 115hp.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

16' rated for 120hp not sure about 18'

rrumba

Ensign

I recently got my hands on a 1980 18' BAJA bow rider. When I got it I knew it needed alot of work I already have the cap off the transom and stringers out and am getting ready to put it all back together. It came with a 1973 Johnson 135 which does run with a few problems but easy fixes. I have always been a fan of the Mercury and am thinking about changing to a Black Max 150, problem being I can not find a manufacturers plate saying what the Max horsepower for the boat is. Like I said I have completely disasembled the boat there is no plate.
Does anyone have any idea about this model BAJA, is 150hp legal, they do check on occasion whereI will be going so I am not looking to push my luck. I appreciate any responses I think the boat will handle it no problem but I haven't seen to many of these old Baja's around.

with the lack of the plate you can try and run the HIN and see if you can get some information that way. You could also try the Baja forums and someone there might be able to help.

you plan on running her up at altoona, lanier, or south side?

rrumba

Ensign

Hey 5%, did a quick check, not sure if you ever got your question answered about leagal HP for your boat but try this link. You can see the tag on the boat as well and it shows a 150. It's up at lanier salvage also. just scroll down a few pics and you will see it. hope that helps

http://boats.iboats.com/1980-baja-marine-180ss-bowrider-evinrude-150/1096155.html

pic of the tag, not sure if it will come through.....

l_vp2444863_36.jpg

Burglary5%

Cadet

I appreciate the info, I did get the info and found it rated for 160HP so I will be looking for a 150 Merc soon.I have the boat gutted and ground, I have the glass from US composites so when I have time it should go pretty quickly. I go to lanier on the south side by the Dam resteraunt (the name of the ramp is escaping me). I also go to the mother in laws out on oconee. rrumba you caught MBS I dont blame you I have been looking too. Your boats are both awesome I have learned alot.

rrumba

Ensign

woo hoo a 160.............

if you put in at the dam store you are right around the corner from me.

Burglary5%

Cadet

The name of the place is east bank park which is at the dam store. I went out there about 10 times last year, I also go camp at Lake lanier islands and put in there.Thats a great area if your around the corner from there, I woud love to live closer to the lake but the commute would kill me.

jason_haha42

Recruit
Don't know if you still need this info but I have a 1977 180BR. It's an I/O with a Mercruser 470 the manufacturer plate says its rated for 470MC wich would meen 170HP. Hope this helps I will start my rebuild this summer sometime and will be asking you a lot of questions being you have already done this. Thanks