Islander 180 lounge seat replacement

Petey_racer

Cadet
Hey all.

My little boat is in excellent shape for it's age, but the starboard side lounge seat has seen better days.
I would like to replace it with a more modern single pedestal seat. Preferably something that is height adjustable so I can sit high and look over the windshield, or down low and through it.
Has anyone done this? Any tips? Recommendations as to a seat/pedestal combo that might work well?

My long term idea is to also replace the port side lounge with a new one, hopefully to match the new pedestal, and both to come pretty close to the red/white factory upholstery.

I have looked and see tons of options. I see things I like but would like some real world advice.

Thanks.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Islander 180 lounge seat replacement

Bump ----> me too, me too! I am considering the same mod to my Thundercraft 1750 (wrong section I know, but this is where my search brought me), for modernizing the look, better visibility and comfort, and to address the problem of split seams on the lounges where boarders use them as stepping stools to enter the boat. But I am unsure of a few things, such as how to remove the lounges, how to attach the new bucket to the pedestal (is an additional piece required?) and how to make sure the measurement for height is accurate.

There seems to be decent buckets and pedestals available at reasonable prices, and I doubt anyone will miss those rear-facing lounge seats, with knees touching the jump seat passenger. There is still the bow section for another rider.

Any advice for us out there?

Petey_racer

Cadet

OK. So I went with a bargain seat for now on a LakeSport SWIVL - EZE 13"-17" pedestal. It is quite high even at the lowest level. Comfortable, but I still sit looking over the windscreen. I am OK with this I guess since I rarely sat down low looking through the windscreen.

My issue is that there was no substance under where the pedestal is mounted, nor can I get to this area. Through the center floor access there is a "trough" only about a foot wide. The pedestal is farther starboard so I cannot get any plywood there nor can I use nut and bolts. The pedestal does move a bit with the floor which I am not sure is OK. When I sit I do not lean forward or back so the weight is basically straight down and not stressing the fasteners, but I am still a bit concerned.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been concerned with those two issues myself. As for height, it doesn't seem there is much choice in pedestal height, maybe an inch or so less at most. I figure a 4-inch rise over the standard lounge seat height is probably going to be OK.

The deck attachment is more serious, with the inability to use bolts. I wonder whether it would make sense to clear a square of carpet and glue/screw a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to the deck, then use longer stronger screws through the ped base? Lag screws?

It would be helpful if others who have performed this job would pitch in on this issue.

I am still going through the choices, and am now thinking of installing a table of some sort in the freed-up space behind the new swivel seat. Petey---> what seat and how comfy is it?

Petey_racer

Cadet

He was lucky to have those raised braces. I just have the carpeted fiberglass floor. :(

Petey---> what seat and how comfy is it?
It is a cheapie, made by Wise. Comfy enough, but nothing special.
Oddly enough it is just like in the link above, only color matched to my boat (red/white/gray).
Once I get it right I will pop for a nice bolster type seat that is better suited to my liking and to the boat. It was only $59 so no big loss.
Even better, I have been tossing around the idea to make some sort of removable platform to mount a pedestal seat in the open bow area. I can easily do this as the three front cushions are all removable.

I recently performed a starboard seat adjustment. I bought a 8" pedestal riser(smallest one available) and cut out a section about
3" from the middle tube portion. I then used the section I removed As a sleave inside the tubing. Then I
Welded it back up. This allowed me to fine tune my seat height.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

WIT - that is way beyond my comfort zone! I installed a height-adjustable pedestal at about 14 inches, an adapter plate from West (to bring the 5x5 bolt pattern to the 12x5 pattern on the seat itself) and an inexpensive molded seat with cushions. I set it back far enough that I can easily stand up as well. Seated, my head is in clear air above the windscreen, which is how I like it. Waste of money on the adjustments though. The knobs intended to hold the height and the swivel are ineffective. However the seat is at a height that I don't need to raise it anyway. The only disappointment is that it is a little rickety because of the spider attachment to the pedestal tube.