Baja Sunsport newbie questions

wtrimble

Recruit
Hi, brand new to the site.
I have a 1985 Baja Sunsport 190 5.7L 260hp mercruiser. I have owned it for 5 years and it's time to sell it or do some work. Planning to get new upholstery, new stereo, replace old ski pole with a universal tower, engine work, Captain's call exhaust, swim deck, tint the winshield, new prop. and a good polishing. I had the upper and lower leg rebuilt last year and new batteries.

I have some questions.

I want to add a swim deck to the back. Is this something I have to build from scratch, or is there somewhere I can buy them?

I want to add some power. Thinking vortec heads, different cam, intake, and carb. and a new 5 blade prop. Not sure which heads, cam, intake, or carb. to get. Any help or links would be great?

The hull is in excellent shape, but I polish it several times per summer with a 3 step kit, and it seems to dull out or oxidize again within a week. What needs to be done to get rid of the heavy oxidation?

thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0

PRW

Cadet
Re: Baja Sunsport newbie questions

Nice lookin' boat.
I also have an 85 Sunsport 190, my color scheme is different from yours though.

rndn

Commander

Hi, brand new to the site.
I have a 1985 Baja Sunsport 190 5.7L 260hp mercruiser. I have owned it for 5 years and it's time to sell it or do some work. Planning to get new upholstery, new stereo, replace old ski pole with a universal tower, engine work, Captain's call exhaust, swim deck, tint the winshield, new prop. and a good polishing. I had the upper and lower leg rebuilt last year and new batteries.

I have some questions.

I want to add a swim deck to the back. Is this something I have to build from scratch, or is there somewhere I can buy them?

I want to add some power. Thinking vortec heads, different cam, intake, and carb. and a new 5 blade prop. Not sure which heads, cam, intake, or carb. to get. Any help or links would be great?

The hull is in excellent shape, but I polish it several times per summer with a 3 step kit, and it seems to dull out or oxidize again within a week. What needs to be done to get rid of the heavy oxidation?

thanks for any help.

Welcome to the iboats.com boating forum!!:):)
Be careful about adding power as the Alpha drive is only good to 300HP. My 1989 black and red Baja Force 216 used to get stained along the sides and what I found out is right after it comes out of the water I would wipe it down with a towel to remove all water. It allowed me to only wax it once a year.
If your oxidation is just generally all over then you're not removing it all when you wax. You'll need to buff it out with some polishing compound or rubbing compound to get down to nice shiny gel coat. You need to be careful about burning the gel or removing too much so make sure you keep the buffer moving. This may be a job left to a marina that works with gel coat and/or boat structural repair if you're not comfortable.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Nice pole dancer! ;)

Have you tried Leverage polish on the hull? It works really well for older boats. Top Notch Marine sells it and can recommend all needed chemicals and materials.

You might find answers to a few of the Baja specific questions over at www.teambajamarine.com