Common Azure Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyBro

Cadet
Re: Common Azure Problems?

I own a 2004 24 Azure. It has the vovlo motor w/duo propo out drive. For some reason the boat leans to the right. I have drained the water tank and still cannot figure out why this is so. When sitting still it leans right and even on plane it leans right. The batteries are located on the left. The cooler is also on the left. I would appreciate any advice i could get! Also, as far as water coming in, i had this problem too. It turned out to be up front in the anchor locker. There is a metal drain in there made to drain the front locker but when idling water pours in it. There is no flap or anything to protect water from coming in!

I have a merc and it leans right too.. Even with my wife and son sitting on the left side. I'm looking into trim tabs to correct this and improve performance.

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
20008 AZ220 owner

20008 AZ220 owner

Hi to all!
I own a 2008 AZ220 with Volvo Penta 5.0 mpi and dou prop.
VERY surprised with the performance, in a good way:)
FEw issues since owning it, but overall OK.
I do not see it as the best quality build, but much better than some others I have owned.
I had sent the tach hour meter back to Faria for repair. They did take care of it well and made it right:)
The Eagle trailer seemed slapped together with some short cuts.
I have contacted Bennington a few times regarding warranty since there are some good sized stress cracks, pretty major to even classify them as such.
They pushed me to the new owners which refered me back to Bennington. Disappointing and worrisome.
Bennington was originally pretty helpful. The boats title incorrectly showed 22 foot but typo said AZ200. They did send a letter fixing things before I registered it.
The talk about the stainless plate and anchor locker hit home too. I have what looks like a misplaced drilled hole between my stainless plate and the small drain outlet. Looks like they missed at the factory and just quickly and poorly filled it. Plain as day round crack in the gel. :( Also the fasteners on the elevated flat sides in the bilge area have rusted and the gel has flake off them. Look like big fender washers and steel carriage bolt heads. Found alot of hardware that isn't stainless. Many screws too. :(
Overall I got a good deal so slowly fixing things up.
Anyone know if these things are in fact from same mold as Crownline's EXs??
They sure look identical.
Hoping to interact with some folks about the company, warranty, and thei boats!!!

johnernst19259

Recruit

can anyone tell me why the 2007 Azure 2400DB is 4700 dry, but in 2008, it goes down to 4300 LBS? Also, we are looking at this boat and it has a 350 Mag FI with a Bravo III stainless prop. My wife loves to slalom ski and we want a lot of hole shot. Any one have any thoughts?

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

can anyone tell me why the 2007 Azure 2400DB is 4700 dry, but in 2008, it goes down to 4300 LBS? Also, we are looking at this boat and it has a 350 Mag FI with a Bravo III stainless prop. My wife loves to slalom ski and we want a lot of hole shot. Any one have any thoughts?

Don't know how much it will help but I have the 2007 AZ220 DB with a 5.0L (rated at 270 HP) and VP DuoProp, stated dry weight apx. 4400 lbs., and I have not had any problems getting up on a slalom. (175 lbs.) I typically do not have a boatload of people though. Would I prefer more power, sure.

Can't tell you much about differences between 07's & 08's other than to say some on this sub-forum talk about how various options were eventually made standard equipment from year to year. Could also be some standards were made optional. Even read one post (maybe on another forum?) that suggested that for 2008 the extended swim platform was made standard on the AZ220 and it was then called the AZ240. Not sure I buy that, but ...

Good luck.

gmasters

Cadet
wow- where did all the Azure owners go (last post 2012). just bought a 2005 az210- so far loving it. Has lots of storage and open area but looking to provide a drawer for the captain and add a fishfinder- not much area to mount or lock up valuables. Probably relocate stereo below console to make room for fishfinder and add drawer below too, but the pretty curved fiberglass below console will make that tough- anyone else make any mods like this?

Lazure

Recruit
gmasters/Cadet, I have a 2006 AZ220 (very pleased with it) so looked online at your console and I see your space limitations. If it were my boat I would consider a pedestal mount for the depthfinder in front of the windshield. If you have a compass would recommend the opposite side to minimize electromagnetic interference. As for the drawer, it's your call but below the console may restrict legroom. Good luck and welcome to the site!!

Lazure

Recruit
gmasters/Cadet, I have a 2006 AZ220 (very pleased with it) so looked online at your console and I see your space limitations. If it were my boat I would consider a pedestal mount for the depthfinder in front of the windshield. If you have a compass would recommend the opposite side to minimize electromagnetic interference. As for the drawer, it's your call but below the console may restrict legroom. Good luck and welcome to the site!! Lazure

willieG

Recruit
Found my old post. Here is my update at 500 hours. Still, mostly pleased with my 2007 AZ220 boat.

Speedo still broke
Fresh water pump broke, impossible reach to replace
Still takes on water. Issue is water getting in boat from rear rub rail.
Underside of driver seat broken
Upgraded stereo head unit to Sony, bazooka 250 watt sub, and added Wet Sounds BT receiver
5.0 MPI rock solid
Boat still looks good and runs great

Last edited:

frankk

Seaman
Matt, small world, funny I have been posting for years here when I rebuilt Too Cute (still... my favorite boat - lol) and never ran across this post.
For the others, Matt and I know each other from the Chain of Lakes boating groups but reconnected just a few days ago with our annual Seafood Buffet! That is how we start the boating season here in the Chain of Lakes.
Here is what my story is.
I bought a 2006 220 / 5.0 / Alpha One 1:62 as a Repo, so I did not know any better. Always had an issue with getting up on plane. Tried about 8 different props.

In the end, I have two props that do the trick, a 15/16, 4 blade Vortex 992202 and a Mirage Quicksilver 48-13700 - 19, 15/19. The four blade pops me up quicker but I love the 48-13700 is an overall better performer. It is massive as compared with the original prop that I got with it, an aluminum 15/19. On the water coming in... I had that issue as well at about 350 hours. It was coming from the black flexible billows. Had both replaced at the same time and that finished the leaking into the boat. Love my Azure but.. here is my true love.http://electronicinstrument.com/toocute.html Frank in Antioch, IL

Brian AZ258

Recruit
Good to see the Azure forum's alive! I am new to the forum & happy to see we have one. Second season with my 2011 AZ258 & loving it. Having some experiences / issues I thought I would share...
I have a 350 Mag Bravo 3 setup & This season started off with an engine alarm code that led me to a problem with paint chips in the fuel system. Turns out Mercruiser painted the inside of the fuel pump / filter which is a known defect. On my boat the part costs almost $1000.00 + labor. Even though the engine is out of warranty, Mercruiser covered the cost of the part. Stipulation was that I have the fuel rail & injectors cleaned professionally.
Moving on to this weekend, the starter went bad & I believe it is from too much water in the bilge sloshing around & hitting the starter which on the 350 is on the bottom of the motor. Salt water can't be good for this... After seeing a bunch of posts it looks like I have many things to look for & try in the search for the leak.
Thanks for the ideas!
Anyone recommend a nice well made wakeboard tower for this boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.