Anyone have an Avenger still running?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have a 16' Avenger. I just installed a 135HP V-6 Merc, after my old Merc 1500 went to Merc-Heaven. Performance is excellent.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anyone have an Avenger still running?

Yeah, Chris, I do. We've touched base on here before. I restored a 17' Mach II last Winter/Spring. It's powered by a late-model I6 115. I just installed a jack plate. Made a BIG difference. Comes out of the hole faster, handles better in tight turns, and when I jack it up, it is significantly faster than it was. In fact, I need more prop. The poor engine is screaming! Looking to try a 26p small ear chopper, or Trophy Plus.

TG

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

TG - That's right, I remember your restoration pics.

With my Merc 1500 I could only turn a 21 pitch standard prop and have true max RPM. That was without a jackplate, which would have made some difference.

I am still tuning the boat with the new Merc 135V6, but the difference is large. The boat will plane at 24-2500 RPM, which is 6-700 RPM less than the Merc 1500. I can peg the V6 with a 21 Pitch Rapture, so I will likely loo for a 23 pitch prop to try. Hole shot is outstanding with the V6, versus Ok with the inline.

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i just got a 16 avenger for free! I guess its early 70s, im still waiting for the title. the boat is in very good shape. it was gellcoated about 7 years ago then sat in the shade all this time. so the boat came up great with a little wax. Ive known the last 3 owners of the boat and the first one had a 200 johnson. he said it was fast. i drove the boat with a 115 evirude no trim. it was boaring. so i found a 1981 175 johnson basket case on craigs list for 200 bucks. all the parts are there, even a gasket kit. the motor is mostly assembled now just need vacume hose diagram that i cant find (see my post on johnson forum)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Joey, Did you ever get that 175 Johnny running? I would think it would flip that Avenger, provided the weight didn't sink it. The 135 Merc on my Avenger is on the edge of swamping it, and it is significantly lighter than the Johnny.

JV5150

Recruit

I just bought a 1968 Avenger. A complete restoration job. I don't know if the motor is original, but it looks like it. A 50hp Evenrude. Someone has done some work on it and it looks workable. Do you recommend trying to use that motor or getting something else? Also, I want to do some work to the inside of the hull, have you ever heard of anyone taking the tops of one and then putting it back on?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

What size Avenger did you get? My 16 footer is rated for an 85HP motor. If that boat is longer than 14' you might look for a larger motor, if you want sizzling performance.

I replaced the floor in my Avenger. I did not need to remove the cap to do it.

Keep us posted on your progress.

ChadSD

Cadet

I have a 1975 Bubble Deck with an '88 Mercury In-Line six 115 hp. Runs like a charm and still turns heads. Most people like the classic lines and the sound of that tower of power in the back. Nothing like the sound and smell of a two-stroke merc!

jg72c

Recruit
Looking for any info on my 95 avenger tournament 186v just bought it. I would like to know how big the gas tank is and find schematic on the wiring and how shallow will these boats go any help would be great

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
We were discussing Avenger Boats made by Cee Bee manufacturing, out of California. Is that what you have?

The Wasp

Cadet
I have a 1977 Cee Bee Avenger model 150 (approx. 16-foot). It had a Johnson 140hp engine when I bought it, later replaced with a 1979 Johnson 85hp V4. I haven't used it in about 6 years but am getting it cleaned up and ready to run now.