Engine will no start after I stop

marquise

Cadet
I have a mercury 150 mercruiser(oil and gas Mixture) the boat itself is an astro.Entering the water boat started fine,drove to first location fine,stopped and started to next location boat was fine,after doing this about three times and letting boat sit,while i used trolling motor to fish,each time i stopped on an average of 30 to 40 minutes.When I try to start this time it would not start,not onlt that it would have the strong smell of gas and look like it was leaking out,or possibly flooding.I replaced hoses and figured that would work.Ran motor at home sarted fine.Get to the dock this week to try to fish the same exact thing happened again, I need help.

Titanty

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Engine will no start after I stop

Are you inadvertly hitting the choke every time?
My key is a push in motion to activate the choke and turn to start. If I hit it by accident it floods the motor.

Might sound simple but it happens.

BTW...I am kinda new to owning a boat so that's just a guess.

Titanty

Seaman Apprentice

What boat do you have? Any pictures?

Here is mine:

Boat.jpg

Raystown.jpg

N Wolf

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your problem is almost for sure that the float bowl vents are cloged. As you run the boat the motor gets hot and gas expands. Not a problem when your running because it gets burned, but when you are sitting there and it expands it has no way to release the preasure so it gets pushed through the needle and seat into the carbs and floods the engine while you are sitting still. They are little round holes, probably brass right above the bowl on the outside of the carb. Pull the bowls and blow compressed air through the vents to clear.