17' Arrow Glass.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Hi guys. I am thinking of buying a used 17' Arrow Glass tri hull bow rider. The boat has a 1979 model 50hp Johnson and although I have not checked the motor out yet, they tell me it runs fine. The motor looks to be in good shape. I'll check the L/U, compression, spark, etc... before I buy. The hull appears to be in excellent shape. Owner is asking $1500. This includes a trailer with new tires and winch. No electronics are included and the throttle cable will need replacing. What do you guys think of this setup? Is it grossly underpowered? The capacity plate says 70hp max. Anyone know the track record of 1979 model OMC 50hp motors? Thanks for your help, I appreciate any input.<br /><br />The Rat.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: 17' Arrow Glass.

Help, I'm going to look at this boat tomorrow!<br /><br />Thanks.

Bayrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Rat. <br /> They may tell you the boat runs fine but the only way to know is to have a test run.That will answer a lot of your questions :confused:

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rat~<br />sounds a little on the undeerpowered side to me, but Im sure it will run and plane, just not overly fast. may be a little slow out of the hole. <br /><br />the boat sounds like a pretty god deal if everything checks out, though. If you look online Ill bet youll be hard pressed to find the motor alone for under $800. make sure to have the motor checked out, float the boat and check for leaks (take it for a spin if you can), and double check the transom and floorbaords for rot. I bought a 1964 16' evinrude boat with trailor and 1978 merc 115 for $800, but had to put in a lot of work on the boat. Im at about $1600 now and I just got it working, with no cosmetics.<br /><br />good luck

surftrish

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Rat - <br />I've owned a 1976 16' Arrow Glass w/ 50 hp o/b (1983 Johnson) for the last 3 years. I actually just sold it last week for $1800. Tri-hull just as you described. It was a good starter boat for me and got me around just fine in the inter-coastal of the Gulf. I don't think that it was underpowered at all. I did have a lot of trouble with the motor (had powerhead rebuilt twice) but I think I just got a lemon. My new boat (23' wac) has an OMC o/b on it. I think what you're describing is a decent deal. Cable are not much and I replaced mine on my own last year. Good Luck!

Billnicole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its to underpowered stay away I had one with a 115 on it and that was good

boater56

Cadet

I had an Arrow Glass 1972 15 foot Tri-hull with a 1972 65 hp Johnson motor a year or two ago. Boat and motor matched up well. Not fast, but would pull the kids on a tube, me on two skis (barely). It was fun to fish out of. It cost $1500 with trailer.

boater56

Cadet

I had an Arrow Glass 1972 15 foot Tri-hull with a 1972 65 hp Johnson motor a year or two ago. Boat and motor matched up well. Not fast, but would pull the kids on a tube, me on two skis (barely). It was fun to fish out of. It cost $1500 with trailer.

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Drowned said:
Hi guys. I am thinking of buying a used 17' Arrow Glass tri hull bow rider. The boat has a 1979 model 50hp Johnson and although I have not checked the motor out yet, they tell me it runs fine. The motor looks to be in good shape. I'll check the L/U, compression, spark, etc... before I buy. The hull appears to be in excellent shape. Owner is asking $1500. This includes a trailer with new tires and winch. No electronics are included and the throttle cable will need replacing. What do you guys think of this setup? Is it grossly underpowered? The capacity plate says 70hp max. Anyone know the track record of 1979 model OMC 50hp motors? Thanks for your help, I appreciate any input.<br /><br />The Rat.

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rat,

I have a 1975 AG Cheetah w 115 Johnson. It did 42 until detuned to run unleaded now does 38. It is a 17' 6" tri hull with. Have to remember, or been there during the 70's, but a 50 was a pretty big engine then. The 1975 Johnson still runs like new, not even the carb has been opened, just drive seals and a throttle cable. Just run the gas out of the carbs, and chock to kill it.
I think these are great boats.
Let us know how it turns out.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hi there tbolt. This is a rather old thread and the boat I was talking about here turned out to be a 15 footer with a 1971 model Johnson Hydro-Electric drive motor. The guy had no idea what he had. The L/U wasn't shifting when I ran it so I offered him $1000 and he took it. That was over 2 years ago and the boat's still going strong. It took me about $200 to restore the boat well enough to take out on the water and the only thing I've bought since then is a power pack and gas! Great boat and great motor. I am looking to upgrade though. It's a bit small and the family's growing! Here are a few pics of my baby. The fiberglass one that is.

DSC01240.jpg

DSC01241.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

Fzy1

Cadet

looks amazing! you scored big with that.