Well, here goes nothin'....new Arkansas Traveler, 14' aluminum...pics. Tips apprec.

EYDavis

Recruit
So I found a 14' Arkansas Traveler Aluminum with trailer for under $300, couldn't pass it up. First boat (I know, right?). My goal is to have a rear mounted trolling motor only, and to spruce it up a good bit for bass, crappie, etc, with my young son. I've started reading through the forums about where and how to begin, but I thought I'd ask help from this forum for any identification tips, or anything else to help me get this thing lake-worthy (and by that I mean a 50 acre farm pond).

I've thumbed through the fiberglassics catalog links and can't quite find a match. I do have a serial #, though: 50955.

I'm going to be cleaning this thing up for a while, then looking wooden teak-ish seats with a sea-green/white color scheme similar to the catalog...maybe some decking, live well.

I'm pretty intimidated....I've never messed with aluminum before ... gotta get the trailer looking better too.... if nothing else, enjoy the pics. I'll look forward to any ideas from you guys.IMG_0807.jpgIMG_0808.jpgIMG_0809.jpgIMG_0811.jpgIMG_0813.jpg

Hope I did this right...actually did read the forum rules.

E

Banker Ed

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Well, here goes nothin'....new Arkansas Traveler, 14' aluminum...pics. Tips appr

I got one nearly identical about a month ago. Here are some of my pictures. I've started on some imprResizedImage_1355629984658.jpgBoat 002a.jpgBoat 004B.jpgBoat 006C.jpgovements but the weather does not seem to want to cooperate. Got my trailer painted and tubes in the dry rotted tires.

Banker Ed

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Well, here goes nothin'....new Arkansas Traveler, 14' aluminum...pics. Tips appr

I had to send you one more picture. It looks almost like your picture. Ed Bell

2013-01-12_10-22-42_127B.jpg

EYDavis

Recruit

Good to know. I'm still sorting out my plan...first time I've taken on something this big. I've reviewed the forums and I think I'll do the aircraft stripper thing just to get a real feel for the thing...it's got carpet glue all on the inside, so I have to do that anyway. But I'm with you....gotta get that trailer right first. and mine needs some work...electrics, etc. Shoot, I have to go get it titled.

I think I'm going to platform the back two benches, then flat plywood/carpet the rest as low as I can. But I'm trying to figure out best place for live well, etc.

Also trying to figure out how far detail to go here...have you found anything on getting dents smoothed, etc?

Banker Ed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tennessee is a non license/title state on small trailers, so that is one bridge I won’t have to cross. I said something about sand blasting mine with and extra fine sand but someone here on iboat said that was a no-no. But hard-headed me is still going to give it a try. If it looks like it is damaging the aluminum, I will do the stripper. I don’t have big plans for mine much more than paint and some hardware maybe.
This is also my first time but I am retired and need something to occupy my time. I did register my boat with the state so I will be getting some numbers soon. My trailer has some pretty good lights on it but I am going to replace them anyway. I got a brand new set wires and all at an auction for $7.50. I am sure they are probably not water tight but maybe they will withstand a few dunkings.
My boat has very few dents if any. I am, however; reworking the rotten transom. I have been trying to go look at a 7.5 HP Scott Atwater for the past few days but the weather here has been terrible. Ed Bell

Banker Ed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Three (3) pretty February days in a row alowed me to finish up with my trailer re-do's. I put new lights, trailer jack, put tubes in the dry rotted tires, new rope for the winch and painted it. Looks almost presentable now. Here are a couple new pictures. Ed Belltrailer 002a.jpgtrailer 003a.jpg

Next move will be on to the boat.

jcoppah24

Seaman Apprentice

Do you know what year it is at all?

I have a DUT-14 Arkansas Traveler from 1958... I guess they made about 1500 per year... I would give you my two cents, but it
sounds like you are going to make it into a fishing rig?

If you search for other 1958 Arkansas Traveler on here, there is a guy that built his into a center console fishing boat... Mine has
the fiberglass bow... but anyway nice find...

kfa4303

Banned

Hi jc and Banker Ed. Great to have some more AT owners around!I have a '59(?) DUT-14 aluminum runabout with a '66 20hp Johnson that I've since converted to the pseud-flats boat/skiff in my avatar/signature. She's nothing to look at, but fun on the water and still dry as a bone after 50+ years. I look forward to following your progress. Here's a little bit of information that may help.

Arkansas traveler - Classic Boat Library

Here's a vid of me zooming around at a local beach. She's no speed demon, but I can break 20 mph with a light load and there's zero slide in the corners. Not to shabby for an old girl.

Wakulla Beach, FL movie.wmv - YouTube

Banker Ed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi jc and Banker Ed. Great to have some more AT owners around!I have a '59(?) DUT-14 aluminum runabout with a '66 20hp Johnson that I've since converted to the pseud-flats boat/skiff in my avatar/signature. She's nothing to look at, but fun on the water and still dry as a bone after 50+ years. I look forward to following your progress. Here's a little bit of information that may help.

Arkansas traveler - Classic Boat Library

Here's a vid of me zooming around at a local beach. She's no speed demon, but I can break 20 mph with a light load and there's zero slide in the corners. Not to shabby for an old girl.

Wakulla Beach, FL movie.wmv - YouTube

What a great video. I still have a day or so left on mine before it is ready for the water. Still need to put one more coat of paint on the inside and put the casting seats and pole holders on. It will then be ready for the water without a motor. I just bought a new home and the repairs are keeping me busy these days. Ed Bell

kfa4303

Banned

Congrats on the new home!!!! Geez between an old boat and a new house, you're gonna have to sell a kidney to pay for it all :) Keep us posted on the progress!