14ft Arkansas Traveler

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 14ft Arkansas Traveler. I bought it from a man who hadn't used it for about 11 years. I am going to have to do some painting and stuff like that. I will show some before and after photos. :D

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 14ft Arkansas Traveler

Here is a picture of the boat. It is wet from rain, and it makes the paint look in better shape than it is. I will post more pics later.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Current condition, but it is about to get sanded and painted.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The work begins in Feb 2009...about the 11th or 12th, if I remember right.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just click on the pic to see an enlarged photo. Or you can click on the boat album to see all of the work done thus far.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DSCN0489.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

Here is the latest on the boat. I am just about through with the paint. :)

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice job! I've got a 16ftr of about the same vintage and about the same condition. It is painted puke green :( I'm going to try and wait until winter to paint so that I don't miss any fishing opportunities. What did you do with the traveler insignia? Remove it or just painted it in place?

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice job! I've got a 16ftr of about the same vintage and about the same condition. It is painted puke green :( I'm going to try and wait until winter to paint so that I don't miss any fishing opportunities. What did you do with the traveler insignia? Remove it or just painted it in place?
DSCN0492.jpg

Here it is. One of the emblems was badly cracked and it came off. I managed to save this one. I was disappointed the other one came off. But at least the other one is still attached. The emblems were made out of a rubbery vinyl type substance. I thought it was chrome at first...but once the paint started to come off, I found out what was under there. I am sure the stripper I used to do the area around the seals did not help at all. Anyway, the other one seems to be holding up well. I am glad you like the boat. I still have more to do, but it is coming together nicely.

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That emblem looks nice. Both of mine are missing a leg from the Rs. Neither one says Arkansas but other than that they look the same (but rougher). I think I'm going to remove them, make a mold of each (obviously the lettering reverses from one side to the other), carve out the missing pieces with a dremel and then put plastic in the mold. Probably sounds like a lot of effort for something so nonfunctional but I think they look cool.:cool:

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That emblem looks nice. Both of mine are missing a leg from the Rs. Neither one says Arkansas but other than that they look the same (but rougher). I think I'm going to remove them, make a mold of each (obviously the lettering reverses from one side to the other), carve out the missing pieces with a dremel and then put plastic in the mold. Probably sounds like a lot of effort for something so nonfunctional but I think they look cool.:cool:

It does sound like a lot of effort. I bet it will look nice when you are done though. I would like to see a pic of it when you are finished.

Sam Bateman

Recruit

Nice looking boat. You've done an outstanding job!
I just bought a 1958 (?) Arkansas Traveller this past weekend. I believe it is a DUT-14. This is from looking at the 1958 brochure on fiberglassics.com as there is no data plate on my boat that I can find.
Similar story to yours - I bought it from a fellow who had not used it for 12 years. Seats are trash but the rest of the boat is good, just needs cleaning and painting.
What is the technique and primers/paints that you used?
I want mine to turn-out as good as yours!

I'll post a pic of the "as found" condition as soon as I figure out how.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used a self etching primer followed up with a spray enamel paint. My boat did not have a data plate either. I am glad you like the look of my boat. I appreciate the compliment. I am still not finished with it. I primered the wood seats, and have started painting them. I have to flip the wood tomorrow to finish painting them. Believe me this job is a whole lot more than I thought it was when I started out. But I am truly pleased with the results so far. It will be a perfect boat for me. I have a trolling motor for now, and hope to find a good used motor in the future. I would love to see pics of your boat, and the progress you make too.

Sam Bateman

Recruit

Did you use something like aircraft remover to strip the old paint? And the self-etching primer - is that the same stuff that NAPA carries?
I know it's a lot of work but look what you have to show for it! You can't just run down to the local boat dealer and buy one of them new.
I feel like you that my 14 foot will be perfect for me and the Missus to fish out of and just ride around the lake. I've got a line on a 1958 Johnson 18 hp that I think will push the boat just fine. If I read the brochure correctly (and I have what I think I have) the max. power is 30 hp but I believe 18 should be adequate to plane it and still give good fuel economy. And it will be the same vintage as the boat. And, more or less, the same vintage as me!

Sam Bateman

Recruit

Here's the "as Found" condition of my future beauty.
The windshield is missing as well as all of the AT emblems.
It's on a Tee-Nee trailer that seems to be original to this boat.
That's a 40's vintage Johnson 2 cylinder on the back that came with the boat.

Attachments

• Arkansas Traveler DUT-14 003_Small.jpg
    Arkansas Traveler DUT-14 003_Small.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1

Sam Bateman

Recruit

Here's a side view.

Attachments

• Arkansas Traveler DUT-14 002_Small.jpg
    Arkansas Traveler DUT-14 002_Small.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used Dupli-Color Self Etching Primer. You can get it at Wal-Mart, or Auto Zone. I did use aircraft stripper on a lot of the exterior of the boat. If your boat was welded, you should be okay. If not...do not get the stripper near areas that are just riveted, as that will cause leaks I've heard.

Your boat looks great already. I think it is in much better shape than mine was. I cannot wait to see it when you are finished with it. I used red lettering for the registration numbers, and it looks pretty good so far. I am almost ready to put the boat seats in. I believe these were very well made boats, and I am lucky to have this one. As far as the emblems, you can have them made up at a sign shop...I considered doing that myself...but money is preventing me from getting one made right now. I probably put more INTO the boat money wise, than I could ever sell it for. I won't be selling it...but you will see what I mean before long. I think this boat will work out for me, for the rest of my life. (I am 49 now)

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DSCN0506.jpg

I know my friend is more than ready for me to get my boat finished so I can take it home. I have been working on the boat at her house. I thought it would be less than a month...and it is just now 3 months, and I still have a little bit to do to finish.

DSCN0504.jpg

I came across your thread and would like to see pictures of the finished product that you restored. I started on a 14' Utility HD Arkansas Traveler in April and am on the home stretch. I believe it is a 1954 model. I will try to get pictures on here or to you for you to see as well. I hope all has gone well. Thanks for your time.

Kellyfmtx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What you see on the exterior is the finished product. The inside I added red carpet to the boat seats, and added a new drain, so nothing really to see. I am waiting on wiring material now so I can finish the boat. I will post more pics when I get it wired up. I am interested in seeing pics of your project as well. :)

I am finishing up my boat and would like to place some pictures on this thread. Right now they are jpeg and they appear to be too big. Does anyone else know how to make them smaller or another way to get them posted? Thanks.