Arkansas Traveler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkansas Traveler

I haven't heard much about an arkansas traveler, but I have one that still works great. Anyone else?

Re: Arkansas Traveler

I have a 63 traveler comet that I am working on and I love it

Comment

I just bought a 1964 Traveler Atlas, 16' with a 40hp Johnson made in '65. It's a bit rough, but it runs without leaks. I got two quotes today from yards to paint the hull for me, one was $1128 and the other wa $740, both using the same paint.

The windshield needs replacing, BAD, but I haven't been able to track anyone down with one for sale. You guys think a glass company could make a windshield for it?

Comment

I have what I believe to be a 66 or 67 Arkansas Traveler with an 80HP Johnson outboard. It is the Skijack? model. It needs a lot of work, but I think the look of the 60's boats is very cool.

Comment

I have a 65 SaturnII that I am currently restoring. Have the floor out and have replced three of the strings.

Comment

For original windshields try this:

http://customboatwindshields.com/

Custom Mold and Tint, Monticello, AR

fiberglassics.com is a good site for old boats

Backfire (2 Arkansas Travelers)

Comment

Originally posted by HoratioHB View Post
              I just bought a 1964 Traveler Atlas, 16' with a 40hp Johnson made in '65. It's a bit rough, but it runs without leaks. I got two quotes today from yards to paint the hull for me, one was $1128 and the other wa $740, both using the same paint.

The windshield needs replacing, BAD, but I haven't been able to track anyone down with one for sale. You guys think a glass company could make a windshield for it?
              used to own 16 ft lowe with 54 yr 40 horse merc stick steer .loved it .
              when i painted it [blue] i got the same kind of quotes. finally i pulled the motor off turned it upsidedown, with help . sanded [wear mask] anti foul paint is not good for you and painted witr red devil enamel 2 coats . i think the total cost was less than $20.00. It was still pretty when i sold it.

Comment

My dad just dropped of a 14 foot aluminum Arkansas Traveler fishing boat. It is 1960-61 with a Johnson 5.5 of approx same year. It belonged to my grandfather, then was handed down to me by my father and two brothers. Really looking forward to doing a full resto on it. It has brought our family many great years of fishing and many more to come.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilkey84 View Post
                  I haven't heard much about an arkansas traveler, but I have one that still works great. Anyone else?
                  I have a 1960 14' Traveler Tarpon with a 1957 35 h.p. Johnson Javelin on it.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFox View Post
                    My dad just dropped of a 14 foot aluminum Arkansas Traveler fishing boat. It is 1960-61 with a Johnson 5.5 of approx same year. It belonged to my grandfather, then was handed down to me by my father and two brothers. Really looking forward to doing a full resto on it. It has brought our family many great years of fishing and many more to come.
                    It might have a scupper valve in the hull at the stern, probably on the left side. Check it out to make sure it works properly. The one on my 14' 1960 wouldn't close so I plugged it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Gitterdone View Post
                      It might have a scupper valve in the hull at the stern, probably on the left side. Check it out to make sure it works properly. The one on my 14' 1960 wouldn't close so I plugged it off.
                      Not sure about the scupper valve. It is just a traditional bench seating v boat. It does have a plug hole at the stern but the original plug has been gone as long as I can remember. My grandfather had just wittled one out of a piece of wood. I might try to fab one myself using a bolt plug with a rubber o-ring. Other than that, the plug hole is open and does drain. Hope we are talking about the same thing. I plan on posting pictures soon. Thanks.

Comment

s at Walmart in the boat section
                        Originally posted by JohnFox View Post
                        Not sure about the scupper valve. It is just a traditional bench seating v boat. It does have a plug hole at the stern but the original plug has been gone as long as I can remember. My grandfather had just wittled one out of a piece of wood. I might try to fab one myself using a bolt plug with a rubber o-ring. Other than that, the plug hole is open and does drain. Hope we are talking about the same thing. I plan on posting pictures soon. Thanks.
                        They sell the plugs at Walmart in their boating section for $2.96 each. I filled the scupper valve in completely with underwater epoxy, the big green stick of epoxy that Walmart also sells in the boat section.

Comment

My wife and I were recently given a 14' Arkansas Traveler that is in very good condition. The owner was a widower who knew nothing about the boat except that her husband babied it. I don't know very much about the boat's manufacturing date but would guess it's the early 1960's. It's all aluminum.

I, too have an issue with the scupper valve. Apparently the previous owner had some issues with it as there is blue silicone goop tastefully applied to it. I am currently looking to find replacement parts and think I could find Davy Jones' locker a lot easier.

What I have found is that the boat went on to be manufactured in Canada by Traveler Manufacturing Co., Ltd. a subsidiary company. This company now appears to be defunct but was still manufacturing in 1989.

If I find a place that sells parts, I'll post it here.

Comment

We just bought a Arkansas Travler. Don't know anything about this boat. Is there a way to find the year it was made? It is 14ft long.

Comment

I have an old Arkansas Traveler and plan on restoring it on day. I haven't had any problems so far rom it other than it looks awful. i was thinking about puttin in a floor on it. is that possible? i want to fix it up with electric plugs and all. I've never done any restoration work so i'm brand new.

Comment

Working...
                              X