Buffing the rubrail on my nineteen

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I decided to buff and polish the rubrail on my nineteen. Had to sand off all the badly tarnished anodize first. And then progress with waterpaper up to 2000grit. Then finish it with Busch aluminum polish. Turned out really nice. Hopefully finish up today and get the insert back on the rubrail Thought I'd post some pics..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
That looks like it was time consuming with great results.

Are you going to coat it with anything? Ask some of the pontoon people about sharkhyde for aluminum to keep it looking good. I am not sure what it would do to the gloss finish

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bob,I might check on something,but the Busch polish protects it pretty good.I used it on another old boat and it's easy to maintain with just a easy polish once a year. I don't think I'm going to run the boat in salt water so the aluminum should be fine. IMHO, the polish works real good . I'll be getting into buffing the hardtop and windshield trim later for a winter project. Anodize is a good thing until it finally gives out. Then it's a pain LOL. The interior trim on the boat is in great condition. Here are some pics of what's coming up later... And that's after I put stuff on them to help them shine LOL.

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That looks like it was time consuming with great results.

Are you going to coat it with anything? Ask some of the pontoon people about sharkhyde for aluminum to keep it looking good. I am not sure what it would do to the gloss finish

Bob, I went to their site and did a little reading. Sounds like that might be what I really need to go on my trim. If I decide to strip the rails too, They will need to stay a little less of a gloss than the rest of the trim and the Sharkhide should maintain that look. Thanks For the idea.