1979 Nineteen Ignition Switch Positions???

bugdewde

Cadet
What are they? Mine appears to be like the old cars. Off at 12-o-clock, run, then start..... but there's one at the 11-o-clock position like an accessory switch. Is this correct?

FYI, nav light, bow light, bilge, and blower all work in all positions??????

Fuel gauge doesn't work but the needle does flick up a little when the key switch is moved to the 1 o-clock position(run), then back to rest at the normally off 12 o-clock position.

I installed the used lower unit today (with new impeller) and I drove it down to the boat ramp to test it out (wasn't sure I got the shifter shaft mumbo-jumbo correct).
Anyway, it would crank, but not start. Battery was too low. That's when I found there were additional key switch positions..... hoping I might have just left the switch on for the week or so I had the lower unit off.

Thinking about those awful posts I've read about the stator charging system......:blue:

Towed it home and hooked it up to the charger, then squirted some starting fluid in the spark arrestor and it fired right off.
Worried about the lower unit more importantly right now but thought I'd ask about the key switch since I don't have any manual to guide me.

Which is really off? The 11 o-clock position(thinking accessory position) or the expected 12 o-clock?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 1979 Nineteen Ignition Switch Positions???

my key switch is the original mercrusier keyed lock/switch. it's off @12 o'clock, the clockwise to the next position which is on, then clockwise once more for start. mine don't have acc. position.

FYI, nav light, bow light, bilge, and blower all work in all positions??????
that'd be the norm i think. non switched power. in other words. always powered and ready to go. horn should be this way to if ya got one.
Thinking about those awful posts I've read about the stator charging system
must be a mercrusier 470. mine is the L6. don't know if there's any difference between the 470 and L6 as far as key switches go. my guess would be not, but i don't know that for a fact.
Which is really off? The 11 o-clock position(thinking accessory position) or the expected 12 o-clock?
judgeing my mine, i'd think 12 oclock. i guess i can't think of a reason to have acc on a boat. the critiacal stuff would be non switched and powered all the time, stuff like the fuel gauge would be switched power and only operate when the switch is turned to on.
all this is just my speculation on this since ya got a slightly newer boat + a different engine than i got.
ps, if ya put my pic in paint and blow it up ya can see the words over my switch. off/run/start (ya can't see start because it's behind the steering wheel).

bugdewde

Cadet

Maybe mine has been switched out at some point. Definitely has 4 positions. 11, 12, 1, and 2 o-clock.

Instrument Cluster.jpg

ziggy

Admiral

in reading the service manual. it appears that there's 3 positions to test for the switch. that'd be off, on(run),start. so your's must be a replacement. if i were wiring in a new switch w/4 positions. i'd just disregard the acc. position. seems likely in your case as your critiacals are always powered for operation, your gauges switched. got a mercruiser key? that could tell too maybe. aftermarket would likely not be a mercruiser switch w/key.
I installed the used lower unit today (with new impeller) and I drove it down to the boat ramp to test it out (wasn't sure I got the shifter shaft mumbo-jumbo correct).
if ya get some muffs ya can test it on land.
as for the shift shaft. bring the drive up almost to the end of the gimble ring side supports then look in ft. of the drive. you'll see where the shift shaft from the upper mates with the shift shaft in the bell housing. if correct, when in fwd the coupler will be facing fwd. when in neu. it'll look like the pic. when in rev. it'll be facing further yet to port. the pic is looking at the fwd. part of the drive. looking aft.

Thinking about those awful posts I've read about the stator charging system.
i believe there's a conversion kit available to switch it over to a alt. if ya want.
from reading the testing of the oem switch in the mercruiser manaul. it said there should be no continuity between any posts on the back of the switch when off. i would think this would hold true for test of your switch too.

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

12 is off. All the switches should work regardless of the key position. it is easy to check the shifting of your lower in the driveway with it not running. granted things change when its running, but it will let you know if your in the ballpark. just by shifting gears then spinning the prop and make sure its locking in gear.

The charging system can be a nightmare. but it seems in what i have found 4 out of 5 times its the water cooled voltage regulator causing the issue.