rotech helm for 74 aristo 19

will a uflex rotech17 steering kit work on an aristo craft 19. I had to sawzall the original steering wheel off and the original steering cable will not move at all. tried all of the tricks to get it freed up.

Re: rotech helm for 74 aristo 19

went ahead and bought the rotech steering system. it arrived today and i will be installing it tomorrow. while the wheel and rack are out of the boat i am also rebuilding the dash out of composite honeycomb panel from work and covering it in red carbon fiber. i can post pics if anyone wants to see them.

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would like to see pictures-Thanks

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe we have installed a rotech system for somone in the past, but its been years. the main difference in the new systems vs. old is how it mounts to the dash.

i got every thing installed fine. the only problem i ran into is a metal plate embedded into the dash on the left side of the hole the helm comes through. i marked out the pattern to increase the size of the helm through hole and started drilling holes in a ring to knock it out and ran into that steel plate. luckily the the mounting bracket for the new helm fit past the metal plate. i did have to make a notch in the bottom of the plate so that i could clock the new bracket at a 12 o'clock position. you also have to install the helm to the bracket before you can bolt the bracket to the dash because the very left helm bolt ends up behind that plate.

i have pictures of everything i did but i am having a hard time getting them loaded.

what was that plate there for?

IMAG0198.jpg

hopefully this pic showed up. here is my almost complete new dash. made the dash itself itself out of honeycomb composite board we use at work to build aircraft floors and covered it with red carbon fiber look vinyl. I also repainted the instrument bezels black and then clear coated them. I plan to start reinstalling it this weekend and doing the final button up on the rotech steering wheel. later this week I will be fabricating a new upper dash and glove box plate which will also be covered in the red carbon fiber vinyl.

View attachment 206059

hopefully this pic showed up. here is my almost complete new dash. made the dash itself out of honeycomb composite board we use at work to build aircraft floors and covered it with red carbon fiber look vinyl. I also repainted the instrument bezels black and then clear coated them. I plan to start reinstalling it this weekend and doing the final button up on the rotech steering wheel. later this week I will be fabricating a new upper dash and glove box plate which will also be covered in the red carbon fiber vinyl.

here are some pics of the installed instrument panel and dash cubby cover. the new dash and ski lockernew dash.jpgnew cubby.jpg covers are currently under construction.