What density foam? How much needed for re-pour?

kanada

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi gang.

I am about to rip into the floor of my 78 Aristocraft 19.
Last summer I replaced leaky rotten transom. Water probably penetrated between the hull and floor into the foam. The cloth pipes from ski locker and blower wehre not looking good either. It has the ski locker and PO had a ski pylon mounted there without sealing the holes.
Floor has bubbled up under carper and under seats. I feel couple soft spots... So time to dig into it :)

2 Questions:

1. What density foam was used? 2/4/8 lb per sq ft?
2. How much volume I need to fill? Anyone done the restore before probably knows without me trying to guesstimate.

Thanks!

kanada

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What density foam? How much needed for re-pour?

First some exploration with a helper

exploration1.jpg

and it is wet... very wet
exploration3.jpg

exploration7.jpg

Big Hole cut on one side, foam comes out easy when its wide open.... digging from under the back seats will be trip...
first_opening1.jpg

first_opening2.jpg

ziggy

Admiral

i can't help ya out kanada as i've not done what your doing, yet. but keep the pics coming. there great and will likely be real helpful for others that need to do what your doing. especially the other side when ya gotta got the cloth tube to contend with and what you do for repair of that tube. and the one exiting out the back of the ski locker leading to the bilge. the one under the engine.
i'd like to know how ya glass the sole back in too when your done with the destruction.
i've thought about this job quite a bit, but never under taken it. not convinced i have to yet as i still plane proper and still reach wot spec.
looks like your doing a real good job... must be your good helper ya got... :joyous:

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Doing a little research here on these iboat forums, you will see so many other folks doing basically the same type repairs. You will first have to gut all the old wet foam as well as any wet and/or rotted structures first before even considering replacing any foam. I bet the flooring and stringers and even the transom are rotted and wet too. And they all have to be gutted out first. I'm sure others will chime in here and direct you to the proper ways to get going with your project... Don't worry, it is not the end of the world, but will take a lot of manual labor AND some coins too...

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on a typical rear floor repair, 8 cubic feet will do.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used the 3lb foam. buoyancy is about 60# per cubic ft if that helps