New nineteen owner

boatnboy17

Cadet
My wife and I recently purchased at 1975 nineteen, red and white with sliding hardtop. I had it on the lake this past weekend. My dad had a very similar one when I was born. I had a few questions about the trim, I had it out and was running a 19 pitch prop, turning 4200 rpms at approx 42 moh, how much trim is normal to run? How much trim before the boat starts to propose? Do these boats run similar to a pas bottom boat? I'm use to high performance boats where you drive towards the back and have a long bow so it's very weird to drive from the bow.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: New nineteen owner

welcome boatnboy17. congrats on your new boat.. got pics?
ya got a 165 L6? i'm gonna assume so.
as per my sig. i got the same boat.
i run a 19p alum. flo tourqeII prop.
my wot is 4100 @41mph gps, or 4300 @43 mph gps. best wot speed was 4400 rpm @ 44mph. imho, speed and rpm variatins are due to conditions. hot and humid, dry and cool, breeze, etc.
if ya got the same trim gauge i got, hash marks, + hash marks in the red. at best rpm w/o porpisinen or blowing out is usall at about 2.5 to 3 hash marks up. not close to the red. my trim limit don't work. i use trailer to trim. i usually run a hash mark up or round abouts. cruise at 2500 rpm.
imho, from what i've abserved of my boat. your doing good. i find 4k rpm on the tach @40mph. 22200 rpms on the tach @ 22mpg. etc... kinda an amazing fanomina imho....tach and speed are simialr.. after plane....
edit, sub plane i'm usally trimed full in. high seas may cause me to trim out some. depends on the situation. obviusly rpms vary much depending on sea conditons @ sub plane. ...
whats critical is high end of wot spec (3900-4300). with normal load, normal trim, ya wann be on the high end of the spec under normal conditions....

Last edited:

boatnboy17

Cadet

I will try to post some pictures this week. Does anyone know if the driver side spot light came as an option from the factory? And I'm also curious to see what the original horns looked like? The spot light works, but the horns are missing.

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Horns and spotlights were not factory options. Dealer installed what ever he or the customer wanted. Pictures? location?

You will find the boat is very versitile. Skis well, camps good, cheap to run.

boatnboy17

Cadet

We went around 60 miles this past weekend and still had a few gallons left. The fuel gauge is about the only thing that I haven't got working yet.

The zinc anode on the back is set up like a trim tab in that it pushes the bow down. I believe that it is pushing the bow down too much but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• First dip.jpg
    First dip.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20120315185148695.jpg
    20120315185148695.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20120315185121198.jpg
    20120315185121198.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral

Nice looking boat you have
ya it is. she looks great!
The zinc anode on the back is set up like a trim tab in that it pushes the bow down. I believe that it is pushing the bow down too much but I'm not sure.
not sure what ya mean by this. from the pic that has the best drive view. i don't see any mods to the drive. the zinc trim tab is set by you to counteract torque steer from the prop. what pushes the bow up or down is trim. trim adj. the angle of the drive to either push the bow down when drive is full in/down. or to bring the bow up when ya trim up/out. always start from idle w/trim in. then when on plane ya start to trim out to best rpm/speed w/o porpoising... trimming a boat

Attachments

• trim tab adjustment.JPG
    trim tab adjustment.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 1

renojim

Seaman Apprentice

Wow the boat looks awesome. All nice and shiny. The top looks like it's still got good color left in it. Seems like the red tops fade real bad. 40 years old, who'd a thunk. Would love to see mor pics, interior and so on. Always nice to add too Ziggy's Picture thread.
I enlarged the pic. It's very hard to see but is there an anode going accross the whole back of the anti-cavitation plate. Unless you are leaving it in the water for an extended period I would think the anodes on the lower gimble housing bolts would be enough. If that is an anode I would take it off and see how she performs.
My particular boat would always porpoise if I trim out even the smallest amount. I added some self adjusting Smart Tabs and it fixed the problem. P1142694.JPG
I boat at 4000 ft elv. and run a 17" pitch alum. prop 4200 WOT 36-37mph GPS. The tabs enabled me to trim out with out the porpoise. Now with same prop same lake get 4300 WOT 39-40mph GPS. Both test with 3 people (total 475#) and full tank of fuel. Almost forgot its a 1972 165hp Mercruiser MC1

boatnboy17

Cadet

We did some buffing and waxing on the staboard side last night. I also attached a picture and highlighted the anode that I am talking about. i haven't seen an anode shaped like this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0274-1.jpg
    IMG_0274-1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1

renojim

Seaman Apprentice

Hey boatnboy
Thats cool, still got the oem seat covers. Are they the originals? I want to get a set and put mine back to stock. Can't swing the price right now. Spent to much on other repairs.:eek:
Ya thats what I thought it was. Only seen those anodes in the store. I think you could be right about it pushing the bow down. Kind of like one of those wings just smaller. I tried one of those wings on my boat to fix the porpoising and took it right off. It did fix the porpoise issue but created worse side affects on how the boat handled.

She looks awesome!
Have Fun

boatnboy17

Cadet

Yea, everything is orginal. I need to get the fuel gauge working, other then that everything has been very easy. It will be needing some fiberglass and gelcoat work over the next couple years. I am working on getting the rearseats ordered through aristocraft, hopefully will have the new aft curtain, side windows, and the middle front window in a week or two.

boatdad

Recruit

I'm picking up a 1976 nineteen next Saturday. It has the 165hp motor with sliding hard top. The gel coat is in excellent condition and the rear jum seats have been re-upholstered but the front seats need to be be re-done. It also needs new rub-rail all the way around. Does anyone have a good source for this? I see prices ranging from $200-500. Seems awful expensive for a piece of ruuber / pvc. Thanks for your help.

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This should probably be a new entry but congrats on your purchase. I have a 1975 Nineteen that I love-in fact just got back from a day on lake Erie. One of the great things about out boats is that the company is still making boats! And on their website they do sell some items for the Nineteen although they don't make glass boats anymore but check it out. I got a new rear curtain and front windows last year and they really are great people to work with. And their wood boats as something to see. As far as rub rails I also need to replace mine but am suffering from sticker shock. Anyway congratulations and good luck!

ziggy

Admiral

looks like iboats has a pretty good selection of rub rail stuff.
congrats on your new nineteen.
in fact just got back from a day on lake Erie.
ya got back later than i did lamphega. i only got out for about 5 hrs yesterday. it was really rough out. sustained winds @ 20mph, gusts to 30mph. my watering hole was pretty white looking from all the white caps... made for some exciting boating though... these nineteens seem to handle the snotty waves pretty good though. yesterdays close spaced (short duration between waves) 2'ers were hohum though they do rock and roll ya pretty good...

boatdad

Recruit

Thanks lamphega. I will call the AristocCraft to find out what kind and size rub-rail that I need. BTW, do you remember what you paid for the aft curtain? I lived in Amherst for over 23 years before moving to Richmond, VA. Lake Erie can definitely rock and roll on occasion. What's the lake water temp? Still in the upper 50's?

Hi ziggy. Yes, when I find out what rub-rail my boat takes, I probably get it from iboats. Thanks guys!!!

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should remember what I paid but...I don't. I will look around and see is I have any paperwork. You do have to put the snaps in as all the boats are a bit different but it came with the snaps. It really makes a difference for use in rain or cold. In fact with the windows and curtain it is quite snug. I keep my boat in Dunkirk NY at the marina, added a auto bilge pump and onboard charger, and now all I do is untie and hit the lake. Get a lot of kind comments on her looks...lots of questions.
Yes, Lake Erie can be a bit bumpy at time. It is amazing how quick it can go from calm to batten the hatches! I always keep the weather radio near and have been visiting the lake often over the years so I know some of the signs. Of course just when you think you have seen it all she can humble you quick. I think the temp just hit 60-still chilly.
Good luck and enjoy! She is a great boat, good in the chop or still water. And I like the 165hp, lots of grunt power and easy to work on and still get most parts for. Make sure you check your bellows, find out the last time it and impeller were changed. Nasty job but so important.

ziggy

Admiral

It really makes a difference for use in rain or cold.
i'll second that. i've even been hailed on.
It is amazing how quick it can go from calm to batten the hatches!
while i doubt my inland laking is anything like your great lake boating. i've been caught out in the storm too. fun putting up the aft curtain after it gets nasty out don't it lamphega? right out on the aft edge riding the wind and waves snapping it down. and then the walk from aft to bow to get back inside. the first step the most fun since ya can't quite reach the hardtop for hand support. i then enter the center window.
i sure like the aft curtain. full enclosed in a regular speed boat. sweet. again. way to go ArisoCraft... great ideas in boating.

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey everyone,
Just saw this post and wanted to clear some things up.
The rub rail insert is about $75. if your needing the actual rubrail, (aluminum) then yes its going to get pricey, however I think its running around $68 a stick and you need three of them.

The rpms all sound right, and speed as well, so you are on track. The Aft Curtains are running right at $320 to have made. they can be made from sunbrella or the factory style vinyl material. However like was said, you must install the snaps. its very easy to do, but since the snaps vary boat to boat, we cannot pre install them.