Great Labor Day Weekend

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Finally, after a year, I was able to pull the 19 out of storage and actually work on it. I knew when I bought the boat last Sept. I would not have time to get to her for a while. I didn't expect it would this long. The seller has done a nice job of rehabing her, but I need to make her mine. I prefer things as original has possible with sensible upgrades.

We went to the storage yard Friday to pick her up and the drive would not lift. Usual workaround - disconnect hydraulic cylinders and strap up the drive. Did some diagnosing, trim pump is out of fluid, not easy to reach in these boats. 1 trip to parts store for a pump oiler with a flexible spout. Reservoir is now full, one screwdriver lost in the bilge. Find it later. Helps to be a contorsionist when working back there.

Found an original bow light flagpole in one of the side pockets. This is an early boat with the OEM bow nav. light. That leaves an original steering wheel on the to find list. Eventually will order new 3 piece windshield and upholstery skins. The hardtop side windows are in good condition. The seller did not like the stern canvas, so he removed the snaps from the hardtop and deck, a trip to an upholstery shop is in the future.

Replaced one of the side logo plate that was broken with a NOS one. 45 year old boat and the OEM still had some parts available. Also dealt with some fit issues with engine cover. ( U shaped trim on the bottom of the cover is MIA)

Plan for today is to test the trim system and hopeful start on muffs. Back to storage today, got to keep the HOA off my back.

Heat index today and the next few in the hundreds with humidity in the 80-90 percent range, then heavy rains for several days. Florida weather in Indiana

Hope to splash next weekend.

Also hope you had a great weekend on the water or at least working on your A19

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Yep, had a great weekend on the water with family and good friends, thanks - reminds me why all the effort goes in...

Got any pics of your project?

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sure do have picts. need to move from phone. Never posted picts, Have to figure it out

ziggy

Admiral
Finally, after a year, I was able to pull the 19 out of storage and actually work on it. I knew when I bought the boat last Sept. I would not have time to get to her for a while. I didn't expect it would this long. The seller has done a nice job of rehabing her, but I need to make her mine. I prefer things as original has possible with sensible upgrades.
great to hear yer getting ontoit. i've been doing the same. i had my sabbatical last summer. had to R&R basement walls. took all summer and was a real cluster while it was in progress. i didn't do anything to my Nineteen all last summer. including using it. good to hear yer gonna mod it with sensible upgrades. imho, best to keep it as close to oem as can be. sounds like ya feel the same way.
Did some diagnosing, trim pump is out of fluid, not easy to reach in these boats. 1 trip to parts store for a pump oiler with a flexible spout.
oh there's harder to reach items than that....;) as for yer lost screwdriver. look right in front to the garboard drain plug hole. most items make there way to that point when dropped. just don't push anything fwd into the large drain hole between the ski locker and the bilge.
Found an original bow light flagpole in one of the side pockets
sweet. wish i had one of them, but i don't. ya gonna buy yerself a AristoCraft pennant for it? that'd be really cool imho.
The seller did not like the stern canvas, so he removed the snaps from the hardtop and deck, a trip to an upholstery shop is in the future.
i hear ya. what's not to like about the aft curtain. they work great. also allows for some colder weather boating. or boating in the rain etc.
45 year old boat and the OEM still had some parts available.
isn't AristoCraft a great company. i'll support them in anyway i can. including talking them up big. and they deserve the congrats too. a stellar all American company.
Plan for today is to test the trim system and hopeful start on muffs
hope that goes well for ya. keep an eye on the trim system. it's a closed system and the fluid should not go anywhere. unless the rams are extended. then the fluid is in the rams. i've been using 10w30 in mine in lew of the the 20w that's specified in the mercruiser service manual. 20w is impossible to find.
Heat index today and the next few in the hundreds with humidity in the 80-90 percent range, then heavy rains for several days. Florida weather in Indiana
only thing i'd change abuot that comment it the last word from Indiana to Nebraska. same horrid weather here though there is light at the end of the tunnel. weekend temps here are gonna be highs in the mid to lower 70's. yeah. it's about time. what a rotton hot, humid summer this has been.
Sure do have picts. need to move from phone. Never posted picts, Have to figure it out
not sure how to do pics from a phone. but if ya can get them to a pc. get a photobucket.com account. from there ya can past your image into iboats.
again. glad yer having time to treat her to some tlc. hope all works well for ya and ya have a great splash this coming weekend......

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ziggy, good to hear from you, this forum has been pretty quiet for awhile. I hope we can get a bit more participation.

The trim system is working again. Cycled it several times and now get full travel. Still don't know where the fluid went

Tried to fire it up but no joy. Probably good in a way, I forgot the water drain plugs were out, 1 lost so another trip to Ace Hardware. It ran last fall. I have fire at the points but ran out of time and had to close up and get it back to storage. I still have my dwell meter and timing light, never know when I will need them. Got to have a helper, my arms won't stretch from key to engine. If I can find it, I have a remote start switch. If the ignition system works. I will have 2 of the 3 legs needed for fire.

The third, fuel, is the one that worries me. I am not sure I am getting gas flow. P.O. put a plastic filter in the line from the fuel pump to the carb but I can't see it from the ignition switch, will need a helper on this one. I had to move it last fall in a hurry and did not get Stabil in it. Primed it with a little gas down the carb but no fire.
Not sure the filter would be USCG approved either.

As far a pictures I do have photobucket for Samsung on my S6 but have not used yet. You will appreciate this, the P.O. painted the hardtop, the inside where the wood

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Something odd happened that chopped off the last part of my reply above. As I was saying, "where the wood decal was, Sub-Lime Green- a 1970 dodge Challenger color. He 2 toned the hard top white on the outside which will make it cooler"

Photos will come, I hope.

.2 inches of rain predicted by tomorrow evening. No more play time for awhile

ziggy

Admiral
this forum has been pretty quiet for awhile. I hope we can get a bit more participation
agreed. i've been wondering as of late. maybe folks are going to AristoCraft on facebook. i see they got a facebook site. i don't have a smart phone and choose not to do facebook. so i don't know. but had that thought.
I still have my dwell meter and timing light,
yep, that's what 'we' need. along with your remote start switch. imho, one of the better $10 or so i've ever spent. hope ya find it. if not???? might have to get one. to me, it's envaluable for setting dwell. one hand on the remote start switch. one had on the adj. screw for setting the points. takes only moments to set dwell, right where ya want it.
The third, fuel, is the one that worries me. I am not sure I am getting gas flow. P.O. put a plastic filter in the line from the fuel pump to the carb
i'm pretty sure of this statement. get rid of that inline filter. plastic nipples fuel fittings have no place on a boat. from the oem. it would be solid steel brake line for all practical purpose from the outlet of the fuel pump to the inlet of the carb. no brakes in the line. solid one piece.
Not sure the filter would be USCG approved either.
it's not.
and did not get Stabil in it.
year old non stabiled fuel would worry me too. imho, either just get fresh or if not, but to comfirm it is or isn't bad fuel. run from a remote fuel tank to the inlet of the fuel pump. elimantes all possible problems from the fuel pump back. 'if' it still don't start. if it does. something behind the fuel pump is the issue. like maybe bad fuel.
the P.O. painted the hardtop, the inside where the wood ..... decal was,
i don't understand where that is. i have no decals on the inside of my hardtop. so nothing to reference this by. i'll have to wait for your pics. white could be a good idea for the hardtop. even my lime green does attract heat. the surface gets warm and transgers the heat to the inside of the boat. on a cool day that's great. on a hot day. not so much.....
well, these aint my labor day pics as i didn't go labor day. to much cluster for me. but i did go last weekend....

where i tie up to at a public dock and leave it overnight when i'm camping. which i was.

friday dusk run. got to the lake at about 6pm. i had to wait 3-4 hrs to pass for a monsoon that went through here before i could come out to the lake. bummed me out waiting to go.

friday night before it go dark. just before. the sun was weird on the dash.

yep, we got more rain on the way too.... sigh...

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ziggy, your boat still looks great. Glad you're back to running it after your basement and bad weather kept you out of it for a while

ziggy

Admiral
thanks for the compliment luva63. you've got beautiful AristoCrafts too. i love seeing pics of yer boats. i'm real envious of yer funliner. it looks new. best i can think. if i were to ever get different boat a funliner would be high on my list of something that may suit me. i think i'd like an outboard. less maint. i think than an io. no drive line. just one 90* turn for the prop shaft. that's gotta be better than ujoints and two 90* turns to get to the prop shaft.
just before these pics i'd been cleaning and waxing on the Nineteen. so she's lookin as good as she can. i'm thinking about starting to put her to sleep for the winter already. got one thing done i needed to do that weekend. i've got a ezloader roller trailer and there are some plastic pieces that sit between the trailer frame and the rocker plate the roller arms connect to. i needed to replace 7 of the 8 plastic pieces. so i needed the boat off the trailer to do that. i was successful. i couldn't get the proper part for my '75 trailer so i had to modify ea. plastic piece to fit.
Glad you're back to running it after your basement and bad weather kept you out of it for a while
thanks. me too. rain is one thing and will go away. the basement was an all summer project and really ate into my boating time.... hated to leave her sit a whole summer w/o use. but had to do what i had to do. making up for lost time this year..... :)

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks ziggy. I still enjoy them both. The Funliners are good boats. I like the fact that it can turn quicker than the nineteen. Of course it's a lot lighter boat. Wife and I consider the funliner just for her and me to use and the nineteen for more of a family boat .

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

This is the jump seat. Got that to copy Shows pattern and colors. I will figure this out yet.

Attachments

• photo252640.jpg
    photo252640.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

This is how it looks now. Bunch of little stuff to do. Needs a new stereo unit. First need to find time to get her running. Not fond of the painted vents but it is what it is for now.

Attachments

• photo252641.jpg
    photo252641.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral
I like the fact that it can turn quicker than the nineteen. Of course it's a lot lighter boat
sounds like two more reasons to like a Funliner to me. i like both those facts. i guess I?ve never thought of a Nineteen as being heavy though. 2k lbs. i think, round abouts. But it sounds like it is compared to a Funliner....

thanks for the pics. They came out good on the forum. That?s a real sweet looking Nineteen. of course I?m particularly fond of the color. i think I?ve only seen one other lime green Nineteen in my www searches. Yours will be the third. Not to many of them lime green ones out there i don't think (i understand the lime green and yellow were short production runs in '75 and '79 hence their rarity)... i like the white accents on the hard top. it looks real good painted that way. i personally like the green accent vents too. Makes them look more like fins on the 60's boats. I?ve never thought about the vents looking like fins till your pics either. so instead of wood grain contact paper, you have green painted side panels on the inside? That?s not such a bad idea either. While mine contact paper is still mostly intact. i do feel i have to be careful around them so as not to start to rip them. Got me a couple of small holes already in mine.
First need to find time to get her running
anything i can help with, let me know. not that i'm a great boat mechanic though. but i do have service manuals 1 and 2 + a few years of working on mine + a few years of reading iboats all the time......
What year is yours again? Your cleats and lifting rings are different than mine.
Like I said earlier, I?m starting to think about winterizing. Good thing I am. Went to look at my homemade winterization form I created on my computer only to find it gone. I did a bunch of stuff with works which is now obsolete. Lost me a bunch of files due to this. So right now, I?m recreating my form in word. Good thing I printed my winterization forms up. I got something to copy into word and don?t have to go back through my service manual to reeducate myself as to what I want to do at end of season.

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quote......sounds like two more reasons to like a Funliner to me. i like both those facts. i guess I’ve never thought of a Nineteen as being heavy though. 2k lbs. i think, round abouts. But it sounds like it is compared to a Funliner.... Yeah my funliner weighs around 600 lbs just the boat. Add 250 lb motor...Fairly light. Old rod 47, really like the look of the two- tone seats and top . You'll love this boat. If I could make a suggestion , I added a couple screws to the top tracks on the sides to keep the top from sliding out of the track while underway. Reason was my locks at the rear of the top don't work too good. And the screws give a little security. While underway I can just set in the drivers seat, slide the top back against the screws and not worry about it coming out of the tracks.

Last edited:

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ziggy, mine is titled. a '71, no factory HIN. The seat pattern is similar to the earlier 18/19. The painted side panels of the hull are probably due to the wood decal being in poor condition.My preference would be carpeted like the later 19s, The PO carpeted the floor with a black carpet glued down. He took the carpet over the lip of the ski locker and the cooler. Makes it difficult to install the lids on them. The black will burn your feet in the sun. I plan to change the carpet sometime.

The hard top has the original clamps to the windshield. I have not tried to move it yet. I see luva63 installed screws in the rails for the slides. Am I missing any parts.?
I have side windows and clamps for them.

Any tips for draining the old gas?

ziggy

Admiral
Yeah my funliner weighs around 600 lbs just the boat. Add 250 lb motor...
wow. that's really light. my old fx140 wave runner weighted more than that (just shy of 1k lbs). i towed that with a 91 toyota PU. that'd be real cool if ya could tow yer 'boat' with something so light duty as my toy pu. i'm liking them funliners more and more every time i read about them.
If I could make a suggestion
please do. please make many suggestions. like this great suggestion.
I added a couple screws to the top tracks on the sides to keep the top from sliding out of the track while underway. Reason was my locks at the rear of the top don't work too good. And the screws give a little security.
that's a real good one. think i will have to do this. i've never really wanted to take my hardtop off. i rarely slide it open more than a foot or maybe a little more. i like the air and sun. but i want the shade too. like you, the lock down of the hard top when slid back is not real tight. mine slides by itself too while underway. usually in rough water. not usually to the point where it's removed, but much further back than i want it. your great idea will stop this... thanks for the tip.
mine is titled. a '71, no factory HIN
that explains the difference.
The PO carpeted the floor with a black carpet glued down.
yikes...
The black will burn your feet in the sun.
i bet. color really does make a difference. i've explained many times here on iboats. my off white boat i can touch and hold my hand on indefinitely on a 100+* day. mine lime green i can do the same but it notably warmer than the off white boat. i have a dark green (almost black) floor mat that i put in ft. of my engine. if i step on that on a 100+* day i'll be getting off of it very quickly. it'll burn your feet. literally.
I plan to change the carpet sometime
good idea, i'll guess that you'll like anything in a lighter color.
Am I missing any parts.?
there are two plastic knob screws on the back slides. screw them down to keep the top in place. friction holds it there (not a positive stop like luva63 is describing. i like his idea and think i will have to incorporate it on to mine also.
Any tips for draining the old gas?
yes, don't use anything with an electric motor. sparks and fuel ya know... i drained my fuel tank last summer since i knew i wouldn't get around to using it due to doing my basement. i had a full tank of fuel. i used this.

a hand siphon pump. this worked real good. granted, my pic is missing one of the hoses. but ya get the idea. the flexible hoses went right down into the fuel tank. i put the bow high and used the curl of the hose to get down to the back bottom of the fuel tank. i got most of the fuel out. i added 17 gal. this spring to top her off. she holds 18 gal. so i got most of it. the hand siphon worked well in that ya hand pump it to get the fuel to start to flow. putting your gas can below the boat and it starts a siphon. so ya just stand there till your gas can is full and then stop and move onto another gas can. the last little bit of fuel, ya do have to help out with pumping the hand siphon. but it wasn't hard and i created no sparks or possibility of creating an explosion while working with fuel.

this is a pic of the hardtop slide set screw that locks the hardtop in place when open. mine only kinda works.

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Harbor Freight close, pumps should be good for at least one time use.

I have never seen those thumb screws. My original 19, way back in the day, had a custom made soft top. Have to check those out.

ziggy

Admiral
I have a Harbor Freight close, pumps should be good for at least one time use.
that's funny Oldrod 47. yep. maybe.... snicker... i can't remember exactly where i got mine. i'm thinking napa. i don't remember paying a lot for it either. but i can't realy remember where i got it. though i'm pretty sure i didn't get it at harbor freight.... what i have must be 15 to 20 years old... it's about spent but worked the last time i used it. which was last summer to drain my fuel out of the Nineteen.
I have never seen those thumb screws. My original 19, way back in the day, had a custom made soft top. Have to check those out.
wow, that'd be cool with a soft top. i've never seen a Nineteen with a soft top other than in the pics over at the AristoCraft web site...
here's what ya get now.

when i got my boat i ordered some replacement slides for mine (from AristoCraft). they came with a thumb screw in lieu of the turn knob... my slides haven't broke so i've not needed the replacements. but have them just in case..... the replacements appear to be a steel shaft with some kinda fiberglass or the likes over the steel shaft... set screw tapped into the steel shaft... only thing i've had to do to my slides is replace the rivets that hold the hardtop to the slide. more than once for the rivets. think i've been using alum. rivets. maybe i should go to steel or stainless steel (something that don't rust).... the alum. rivets don't seem to be able to handle the stress of the top racking would be my guess as to why i've had to replace some of them multiple times.

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Ziggy, for your viewing pleasure, my original A19 with custom soft top and with the top folded while loading to head home from a late October overniter on Lake Cumberland KY.. I believe that that may be a Mark Twain next to it in the one photo and a Steury tri hull in the other. Been a long time. Would have been early 1970s

Attachments

• photo253034.jpg
    photo253034.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253035.jpg
    photo253035.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0