Is this a legit number

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I purchased an Aristocraft 19 last year. The seller said he had put the boat together from 3 boats by taking the best parts and using them to create the one. The HIN is INZ121189526. It is titled as a 1971. Does this serial number fit a 1971 model? The boat is at a storage yard so I cannot confirm that is the one molded in the hull.

It does have the 165/250 and a hardtop.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Using an on-line HIN decoder says it invalid. INZ is the MIC for an Indiana state issued HIN. It looks like the state issued the new HIN for some reason, maybe a lost title or estate settlement. :noidea: With a state issued HIN, it can't be used for any identification.

All is not lost! Aristocraft is still in business after passing to the original owner's son. He visits the forum from time to time and has been able to identify Aristocrafts from the HIN if built in 1972 and later when HINs became a requirement. Pre-1972 model can be ID'ed using the serial number. This is a thread he started - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...ur-hull-number If you don't get a response in that thread, he hasn't visited lately, try contacting the company directly - http://www.aristocraftboats.com/

For reference - Here a decode for a valid INZ HIN - http://www.hindecoder.com/decoder-sc...N=INZ00006L313

Also, a valid decode for an Aristocraft - http://www.hindecoder.com/decoder-script.php?HIN=ATL12576M76G

tpenfield

Staff member
IIRC - HIN's did not come into existence until 1972 . . . so maybe Indiana issued a state HIN during a prior transaction. If the boat has a sticker with this HIN, and no other, then it is probably legit, as long as the paperwork is in order to back it up.

BTW - my brother just bought a 1971 boston whaler . . . the state (Massachusetts) issued an HIN since it did not have one and was prior to 1972, when it became a requirement, I think the Massachusetts prefix code is "MAZ".

Last edited:

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just left the storage yard, my 19 does not have a factory s.n. so it must have been made before HIN was a requirement. Did not see a number for the sterndrive, the original decals have long since gone away. Will get it home next week and be able to get in it and find the engine SN.

The hardtop has the rails on the roof and the circles for the 19 decal When did this change?

Has not run in a year, so hope she fires on muffs

. Did the earlier models have the 2 tone interiors?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
With a state issued HIN, it can't be used for any identification.

I should clarify that statement. A state issued HIN cannot be used for any manufacturer or build year ID. It is only good to meet legal numbering requirements.

My sig tinny is a 1966 and the state issued a HIN for legal purposes. The original serial number is still intact, but doesn't fit any current HIN standards and the boat had no title. As the inspecting ranger told me, a new HIN can be issued or you can wait until Hades freezes over if I wanted to stay with the original serial number.

So my issued HIN begins "GAZ" because I wanted to use the old gal. :smile:

ziggy

Admiral
sounds like everyone else has got ya hip to hin for yer '71 boat that didn't come with a hin.
as for the drive.
Did not see a number for the sterndrive, the original decals have long since gone away
that might be ok.
this is a pic of a '72 mc-1 drive.

it's the port side. while i don't know about a '71, it might be worth looking at closely. like i said. that's a '72 drive. if ya look close. under the mercruiser sticker (which apparently are already gone on your drive) is the sn of the drive. stamped very lightly into the upper. if ya look close at my pic. ya can see it. 3326400 i think. the number wasn't visible with the paint over it. anyways. look close at yers. maybe ya'll get lucky and have the sn located there and perhaps legible if it is.

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Ziggy, probably will have to strip paint as it appears to have many coats. Been waiting for a year to get to this.