Looking at an Aristocraft 19, anything to look out for?

HRK

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm going to look at a 19 tomorrow. Wondering if there are any breaking points common to these boats that I should be looking for? I know the deck (and hull?) is foam core as well as the stringers, but the transom is wood core, so I'll look at the transom for any rot. The boat is out of the water so it's a good time to check the standard I/O things like transom seal, bellows, etc. They seem like fairly simple boats mechanically, so I'm not too worried about that - this one has the 120hp motor (as far as I know so far).

ziggy

Admiral
water saturated foam. if water gets under the deck it'll make the boat too heavy.
omc powered nineteens. omc has been long gone and parts will likely be hard to find.
the mercruiser 470 engine. it has known issues. google it to find out much more about their issues.
that's all i can think of other than condition, condition, condition.... like is always said here on iboats.

good luck in your search......

HRK

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks! I wound up getting the boat. Generally it's in good shape. I've had it out on the water for a few hours a day for the last few days and it runs strong. I don't notice a heaviness to it, but I'll definitely poke around to see if I can find any wet foam. I know there are access points on the deck that they used to fill the hull with foam. I'll try to get into one to feel it out. I almost don't want to know, because that would necessitate an entire tear-down of the boat which is way over my head.

With all of the foam in the transom area, access to wiring and mechanicals behind and to the sides of the motor is very difficult. I replaced the steering cable and it was near impossible to route it properly just due to lack of access. I'm guessing the motor would need to come out for any repairs beyond general maintenance. I definitely need to re-wire almost the whole boat, they did a pretty poor job of it, whoever rewired it last.

Today, the timing cover started to leak, so that'll have to be done. While I'm doing that, I'll also do a new water pump, and fuel filter / water separator.

Question - above the motor, mounted on the transom, there's a mounted piece that the shifter cables connect to - it has a couple of micro-switches on it. On the starboard side of that unit, there's a braided hose that connects to the unit, and then runs down behind the motor, presumably to the outdrive. If you know what I'm talking about, what is it and where do I find a replacement? The plastic coating is worn off and it's down to the actual braids now.

Thanks again! I attached a couple photos of the maiden voyage.

2.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 6

ziggy

Admiral
congats HRK. looks like ya got a beautiful boat. love that blue....
what year and what engine did ya get in it?
it runs strong. I don't notice a heaviness to it, but I'll definitely poke around to see if I can find any wet foam. I know there are access points on the deck that they used to fill the hull with foam. I'll try to get into one to feel it out. I almost don't want to know, because that would necessitate an entire tear-down of the boat which is way over my head.
that's where i'm at too. i've always thought i may have some water in mine too. but like you. mine runs strong. i come on plane easy w/o much bow rise. so, i haven't gone and felt it out, cause i don't wanna know. fwiw, my boat sits just about like yours when static w/o people on board.
as to yer question. i suspect that your talking about the trim sender (long round tube looking thing, maybe 10'' long) and reverse (flat disc looking thing) lock out valve. i am gonna guess they are both nla. but check it out yer self. the micro switch is the shift interupt switch to allow ya to take it out of fwd or rev. back to neutral. mercruiser parts.com or BAM is a good place to look at oem pics and replacement part availability. the hydrolic hoses go down to a manifold thats under yer drive. in ft. of the drive. from the outside, it's where yer trim hoses lead too. that manifold can come off and on the underside is where the trim hoses lead to from the inside of the boat.
if yer gonna work on yer own boat. get the factory service manual. i got mine off ebay used. it'll be the best tool ya got in yer toolbox. what's available on line is http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html. you'll find the oem manual there too....

if ya got more pics. ??? everyone (me anyway) love pics of Nineteens. again. ya got a beauty......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
HRK - Your 9Teen looks just like my first boat. Well that's not exactly true. Mine had a hard life before I found her. I wish this forum was around way back then.

You have a good looking Aristocraft.

Can you grab a photo of the hose?

ziggy

Admiral
reverse (flat disc looking thing) lock out valve.
not lock out valve. just reverse lock. keeps the drive from coming up when in reverse.
agree with GA_Boater. ya got pics of all the items ya have questions about. that will help isolate what yer wondering about.
I wish this forum was around way back then.
yep. this fourm has helped me so much. this is the place to be.... everyone is so helpful. i sure do miss Don S though.... sigh.... lots of other helpful folks here too. but him, i'll never forget.....

HRK

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

More pics!

Attachments

• photo249949.jpg
    photo249949.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo249950.jpg
    photo249950.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo249951.jpg
    photo249951.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 3

HRK

Seaman Apprentice
what year and what engine did ya get in it?

It's an '80, 120 motor. Even with the smallest motor it scoots! Serial #5554989.

my boat sits just about like yours when static w/o people on board.

That can be good or bad - either neither of us have water in the foam, or both of us do!

if yer gonna work on yer own boat. get the factory service manual. i got mine off ebay used. it'll be the best tool ya got in yer toolbox. what's available on line is http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html. you'll find the oem manual there too....

Great idea. I'm definitely doing as much as possible on the boat myself. I'm a former certified auto mechanic - no real boat experience but I'm mechanically savvy enough to do most things with some research.

You have a good looking Aristocraft.
Can you grab a photo of the hose?

​Thanks! I'll get out today and take a photo.

Last edited:

HRK

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here's a few more pics of the original ad. Also Ziggy, I watched your Youtube videos about a dozen times in the last week, love it!

Attachments

• photo249952.jpg
    photo249952.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 6
  • photo249953.jpg
    photo249953.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 5
  • photo249954.jpg
    photo249954.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo249955.jpg
    photo249955.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 6
  • photo249956.jpg
    photo249956.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 5
  • photo249957.jpg
    photo249957.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo249958.jpg
    photo249958.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 5
  • photo249959.jpg
    photo249959.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 5

ziggy

Admiral
t's an '80, 120 motor. Even with the smallest motor it scoots! Serial #5554989.
so best i know, '80 was the last year for production of Nineteens. cool ya got in on the end of the run. i was thinking it was probably a later one since ya have the landu type hardtop.
That can be good or bad - either neither of us have water in the foam, or both of us do!
yep. that comment made me smile. i'm going for good. like ya said. even with yer 120 she gets up and scoots. mine too. i have little bow rise and i achieve the top end of my wot spec. if i got water, it must not be too much. at least not enough to affect performance.

if yer not already hip, ya need service manual 3 for the engine and 4 for the drive.

I watched your Youtube videos about a dozen times in the last week, love it!
cool, glad you've enjoyed them. the Nineteen seems to be a pretty sea worthy boat imho. them were some pretty good sized waves in that one from lewis and clarke lake. it was kinda cool running in them. i should have brought the bow up a little bit higher in them and i'd have stayed a little dryer. while i didn't post the other video i have. but i could get up on plane and run parallel to the waves by staying down in the trough. and ya met my cat ollie too. he's not been out this summer. i think he's been getting a case of sea sickness. he yaks to much on board, so we been leaving him home.

love yer pics. specially that night pic. it sure came out good. and great that ya got the aft curtain. it really extends the season for boating. i've been out on a 60* day in my swim suit. all the fisherman and bundled up in their sweat shirts and long sleeves and pants. i'm nice and toasty inside my Nineteen. let alone when it rains. up with the aft curtain and i'm dry. no so much for all the other boaters. i've even been hailed on with no ramifications. granted it wasn't large hail. it's just another great feature of the Nineteen.

looks like ya got a real winner for a boat there. sounds like it fits yer needs and is a real sharp looking, well cared for boat... ya came out smellin like a rose with that one..... sweet...

what are the two round things on yer deck right in ft. of the driver, on the outside of the windshield?

Last edited:

HRK

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Hey Ziggy, thanks for the info - I do believe '80 was the last year they were made. I'm pretty sure the two round things on the deck are two horns but I haven't looked at hooking them back up yet. I'm definitely looking forward to running the boat on a more windy day, even some rain, to see how she handles. With the sliding roof and rear cover like you said, you stay warm and dry.

Here's another question! In the bow, forward of where your feet hang out, there's a small cuddy for storage. Hanging from the top of that area, directly under the fore deck, there's what looks to be a water tank fiberglassed in - with a sight glass at the bottom. Is this original to the boat, and what's it for? Seems to be filled with water. Here's two photos.

To give you a reference, on the first photo you can see a silver bolt/washer at the very top right of the pic. That is the bolt for the horns on the top of the deck. On the second photo, you can see two bolts on the bottom middle of the photo - those are the two bolts that hold the U-bracket at the bow, where the trailer winch hooks onto. So this tank-looking thing is hanging directly under the fore deck, inside the little storage area in front of your feet.

Attachments

• photo250224.jpg
    photo250224.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo250225.jpg
    photo250225.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think the "tank" you see is the pocket for the slide down center window. Either above or below the bow eye on the outside is a small hole. The hole is connected to a drain tube for the window pocket. When I got mine years ago, the pocket was filled with water and a quick probe with some wire spit a bunch of foul water on me. :eek:

Last edited:

ziggy

Admiral
GA_Boater got it. it's the pocket yer center sliding window slides down into. there's actually a void between the pocket and the deck. i know. lost my cat up there once. only thing i could see was his leash. and hear his tags rattling on the top of that pocket.

HRK

Seaman Apprentice
Of course, that's exactly what it is! Mine was filled with water too, I just drained it. I was wondering why my window was wet every time I raised it!

This week I'm tearing out all of the old wiring and I'm going to rewire the boat. Someone not too long ago already rewired the boat, but they used all automotive crimp connectors instead of insulated connectors, ran wires through sharp edges with no wire loom, and had wires strewn all over the boat. I've been having intermittent electrical issues, and last night I blew 2/3 of the dashboard fuses and had to limp home. So, it's time to take a week and redo the wiring.

I just want to verify that this link is the diagram I should be looking at (page 4 and 7):
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/servmanl/13/13e4r2.pdf

Seems correct to me, except I don't see the trim switch circuit on either page.

ziggy

Admiral
is that from service manaul #3? i think the manual # you need MAY BE 90-95693. the one you got the link to seems to be another number.

ziggy

Admiral
ya, that link ya got is for s/m 13. 90-97 4cyls. that's not what ya want.

you surely want #3. yer s/n falls within this range, from s/m #3. MCM 120 s/n 4952701-6255465.

s/m 3 is for the engine.
s/m 4 is for yer drive.

Last edited: