Considering purchasing "new" nineteen

LarsonLeedy

Recruit
Hello all,
A friend of mine and I found an Aristocraft Nineteen last weekend. We are considering a restoration project. This being a new make/model for my limited boat knowledge I have been researching and found this site. It seems this boat has a devoted following and I am not at all surprised. This boat has some really cool lines.

The engine/outdrive are said to be in good shape. It does need a TON of cleaning. It was raining when we found it and didn't dig into it very much, but we are going back Saturday for a better look. All the trim seems to be intact and other than a little dull, in good condition. It will need a new cover on the stern and possibly paint. Both are within the capabilities of one or the other of us. I am a metal fabricator on the side (formerly full time but now I'm the dreaded Safety Man!!) and he is a body shop owner specializing in muscle car restoration.

My questions for this group are centered more around the boat itself rather than all the normal mechanical "what to look for" questions.

It seems the have gold seats, Airstocraft is embossed into the vinyl, and a similar color stripe on the hulll. I read somewhere this was not a common color, Is that true?

If so, are we better off in the long run to restore this uncommon color or paint as we please? I'm sure the boat will be for sale at some point, just not as soon as we finish it.

What other pitfalls or problem areas have been observed in these Nineteens? It was last registered in 2008.

I can post pics after the next visit to the boat.

Thank you

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, LL.

My first boat was a 1972 19. The worst thing about mine was the hot Texas sun doing a number on the gelcoat. They have very little wood to rot. Aristocraft is still in business as a continuation of the founder's family boat works and there are still some parts available. Look at the fiberglass photos and brochures under Vintage Boats on the Aristocraft Website to see some of the colors combinations.

ziggy

Admiral
The engine/outdrive are said to be in good shape
if the seller said that, don't believe them. imho anyways. sellers may have reason to lie.
It will need a new cover on the stern
if your referring to the aft curtain, between the hardtop and the deck. it's not a must have item. very nice to have, but not a must have.
It seems the have gold seats, Airstocraft is embossed into the vinyl
the oem seats have AristoCraft embossed on the seats. so like original. i've had ArisoCraft tell me that's the most important item to keep serviceable if you can.
and a similar color stripe on the hulll.
i've not personally seen any striped Nineteens. may be aftermarket. i'm just saying in my searches and talks with foks, i've not seen it. call AristoCraft, they will know the color of your boat by hin. including whether it was a common color or not. i understand yellow and lime green were rarer colors and both had short production runs in 75 and 79.
If so, are we better off in the long run to restore this uncommon color or paint as we please?
it's your boat, do what you will. me personally, i try to keep it as close as it came from the factory, if i could.
What other pitfalls or problem areas have been observed in these Nineteens?
i guess my biggest fear is water in the foam. they got a lot of foam in them. if ya get water between the inner hull and the outer hull, it'll waterlog the foam.
It was last registered in 2008.
check anything rubber. like bellows and shift cable bellows for sure. if their rotton and are broke. water leaks into the boat.
good luck. hope ya get it. they sure are good boats.