My ArenaCraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ArenaCraft

Wow. I can be the first here. Here's my 1969 22 ft ArenaCraft Cuddy. It was OMC powered with a Chevy 283 4 BBL as I recall.
    Attached Files

Re: My ArenaCraft

I grew up in this 1968 ArenaCraft Bonita 327 Chevy I just added the Bimini top Picture is from houseboat while wife and daughter are following at Lake Oroville, Ca

Comment

Hello, I have a 1967 Arenacraft Barracuda which is the same hull and color as your boat. I was wondering what your steering wheel looks like. I am thinking of restoring my paint to the original gel coat (metal flake). Thanks for posting the picture.

Michael Lawson
      Sacramento

Comment

Hey guys just thought Id pop in and say hi. I live in Sacramento and recently bought a 1964 Arena Craft Bonito. I also just blew the engine but hey that means more HP!!

Bill

Comment

I have an original brochure for the 67 Arenacrafts. I bought two cleats (bow&Stern) from a guy in Arizona, and he gave me the brochure as an extra. If you are interested I will scan it and post here but won't be for a couple of weeks though..going on vacation. Zet

Comment

I'm restoring a '69 ArenaCraft. I was told it's a Baracuda, but It looks just like Zetman's Bonita. Not sure what the original enigine was, but it now has a Chevy 454 in it. Spent a considerable amount just getting all the high performance auto parts off of it and replacing with marine engine parts.

The last guy who had it painted it with automotive paint, so I'll be stripping and re gel-coating it this winter...

Comment

Denning, Have you had it out yet? Curious how it runs with the 454 in it? Are the later 60's boats I/O or direct drives?

Bill

Comment

Denning, how long is your boat. Mine is 18ft. I was told or my dad was years ago by Dan Arena, (My dad almost installed a Big Block Chevy) That at a certain speed the boat would start to nose down..not a safe thing to happen. My dads friend bought a larger boat I think was 19-20ft and them mostly came with 427's. Zet

Comment

Comment

Comment

I still have the windshield but my dad took it off otherwise you cook behind it. Here is a picture last week at Lake Alamanor California, notice the smokey skies it was hazy all week from the fires, you should see the other shore from here. Zet

Comment

I've had it out a few times since April, but it sat for a number of years on a parking lot without being run. I had to replace the floor because it sat full of water during that time. Everything under the floor was rotten. The engine had to have a considerable amount of work to it and still has a lot of bugs to iron out this summer.

It's a direct drive, but the original engine was a 427. Someone squeezed the 454 into it. The prop is the original that was meant for the 427, so I have to be careful not to run the RPMs up too high...

Last month, the rocker arm vibrated loose. Friday, I took my daughter tubing and it ran great for couple of hours, but started making another (uncomfortable) noise in the engine, so back in the shop to see what else has vibrated loose. I'm not surprised though, with the 454... I think a little too much muscle for this boat, but it sounds great and has definitely become a real "head turner” on the lake…
                        Last edited by Denning; August 3rd, 2008, 11:05 AM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Hey Zet,

This is definitely the Barracuda. The title declares that it’s 19 foot, but I measured it and it’s just under 20 ˝ feet. Thanks for posting the brochures... That gives a lot of information that I have been looking for.

I know what you mean, to "cook" behind the windshield. Friday afternoon we had triple digits here and it made it very hot! Not sure that I want to remove the windshield though. I may try to put some lifters (about 2 inches) under the windshield so that air will still flow through, without changing the appearance of the boat too much.

As far as the 454 goes, it performs on the water very well at higher speeds. We were cruising very smoothly across the lake on Friday morning, at about 50 mph, but it still has the smaller prop, so the RPMs can get away from you if you're not careful. As far as the nose is concerned, it handles great with the 454, but it DOES drink the gas! It's happiest around 3000 to 3500 RPMs...

Comment

Micheal,

I went on eBay to find a Mahogany Steering Wheel by Grant. Just make sure you know the dimension and number of screws for the steering wheel hub.

Denning
                            Last edited by Denning; August 4th, 2008, 12:08 AM. Reason: Spell correction

Comment

Wow Zet...

Your boat looks to still be in great shape for it's age. I see you still have the original opholstery. Mine was completely trashed and had to be redone, including new wood framing for all the seats and backs and carpet. I wish I could post pictures of the restoration process, but all my pictures are 300 dpi and contain more kbs than iboats will let me up load at a time...

I'll work on it...

Comment

Working...
                              X