Osprey?

Jeff23

Cadet
Hi All--

I mentioned this in another thread but then thought I might get more response with a new post. I'm just about to buy a 1979 17' Aquasport. (I don't remember seeing "Osprey" on it anywhere--it says "Aquasport 170"--maybe I missed "Osprey?")

Anyway, it comes with a pretty new EZ-loader trailer and an '01 75 hp Merc 3-cylinder. I'm going out for a ride in it with the owner either this Sunday or next. I plan to use the boat for inshore fishing in Long Island Sound. Longest run would be about six nm out, same back from the harbor. I think the Aquasport will be better for this than what I have now (a 16' McKee Craft). The McKee is very stable side to side and runs fine as long as there's no chop, but it's relatively flat-bottomed (somewhat like a Whaler, but beamier) and doesn't take waves over 1 ft. or even steep boat wakes real well. Not a safety issue so much--I don't go out in bad weather--as it's a wet ride for whoever's in the bow.

I'm interested in any comments, feedback, wisdom, etc., regarding the Aquasport 170 / Osprey. The boat looks to be in excellent condition, hull solid as a rock all around and well-maintained by a really credible owner who definitely seems to have taken good care of her. I might trailer it a bit, but mostly it'll sit in a slip. I'm local and in the summmer I fish every day that there's good weather :)

Thanks for any comments,

Jeff

Re: Osprey?

Aquasport did not start using the Osprey name until some time in the 80's. The 170 hull design is the same, though. I have an '87 170 I have owned since new. I don't see any issues with the type of fishing you want to do. While the 170 hull is relatively flat aft, it has a sharp entry, which helps it track better. I regularly use my 170 as a water taxi to get to my cabin on the west coast of Florida, which is a 6 mile open water ride. Seas over 4 feet or so are kinda dicey, but the boat tracks well due to it's weight. Excellent boat, very solid, stable ride. The 170 will still be a wet ride for bow passengers in quartering seas.