Angler 204F center console, comments

rleckste

Cadet
Was looking to purchase a 1998 Angler center console model 204F. Anyone have any experience with Angler products or this model particular.<br />Thanks.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Angler 204F center console, comments

I haven't looked at one in several years. Here in Miami they used to be regarded in a class of boats known as the "Hialeah Specials." They were considered an entry level boat. They may have changed so I hope you get more input.

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sight down the sides and bottom of the hull, looking for bulges, waves, and indentations; then compare the results with other higher priced boats. Surprisingly, some of the best I've seen are Wellcrafts, regardless of price, and that's a high-production boat. Genmar seems to know what they're doing.<br /><br />The Angler is a good looking boat, though.

Brett777

Cadet

Beernuts, what do the waves on the side of the hull mean? I have that on an 83 Mako. Problem? What to do?

BillP

Captain

4wheeler,<br />The Miami area is some tough water and boats not built too well don't stay around the area long. Biscayne Bay beats them up. Angler has been around for a lot of years (25?)down there. You could do a lot worse.<br /><br />Just for your info, Hialeah has a large industrial complex area that houses boat factories.

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just an opinion, UTG, but I think it means the hull shoulda been layed up a little thicker.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beernutz,<br />I believe, that's just plain wrong. Sighting down the hull sides, bottom or anywhere, is going to show you, how well the plug, for the original mold was faired, and nothing else.

jocko_nc

Seaman

From my investigation, Angler is a decent, mid-grade CC fishing boat. Include also Key West and Sea Pro. Personally, I think Sea Pro makes the best value of the three since 1998 on. Anglers have inproved recently. (1999 to present)<br /><br />I would not use any of the "value" makes for hard use offshore. They will not last as well as the more expensive makes, all else equal. A more "value conscious" make for hard use would probably be a Parker or a Cape Horn. These are nice rugged fishing platforms that cost 70% of a Grady, etc.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />jocko

BillP

Captain

Ditto with what Mike F said. The "waves" just show someone didn't take a lot of time detailing the plug which...and that is what the mold is taken off of.

SBluejean54

Recruit

Ditto with what Mike F said. The "waves" just show someone didn't take a lot of time detailing the plug which...and that is what the mold is taken off of.

Waves down the side of the boat are generally an indication that the hull was popped from the mold "Green", as in the hull was not given enough lay up or cure time tin the mold; a common problem with mass produced boats. I was in the Regal Boat factory in Florida a couple of times and saw them pop a mold on a 19 BR after only 14 hours. The hull came out looking like ribbon candy.

Have also been to the Cobalt Boat factory in Neodesha, Kansas. In their manufacturing process, hulls are laid up and cure in the mold for 7 days before they're popped. It's a beautiful thing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Commenting on a 12 year old thread. Let it die.