Angler boats - any good, issues?

dpski

Cadet
Is anyone out there familiar with Angler boats? These are the fiberglass boats from Angler Boat Corp of Miami, FL. I'm considering the purchase of a 1999 18' Center Console.<br /><br />Any thoughts good or bad would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Don

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Angler boats - any good, issues?

I suggest you go to the search feature above and look for Angler boats. You're not the first to ask. :D <br />I had an 18'CC Angler now I have a 20'CC Angler.

dpski

Cadet

MikeF, thanks I did the search as you suggested, thanks for the headsup. Doesn't seem to be anything of terrible mention. I know Angler are not considered to be at the same caliber as Whalers or Gradys, but then again I'm not on the water 7 days a week, it's more like 14 days a year for me, with a couple of extra fresh water pond hopping days for some large mouth bass. Any advice you could lend for when I inspect the 1999 18' Center Console? I believe in 1999 Angler used wood stringers encapsulated in fiberglass, however I'm not sure if they went to a composite transom then or not. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you prefer, thanks Don, dpski@mail.com

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

dpski,<br />I think the 18' Angler, would be fine, for your needs. A 115Hp, would probably give you, somewhere around mid to upper forties top speed. My 1999 20'CC (built in Aug 98) has a composite transom, and wood stringers. Not exactly sure when they went to all composite. I believe it was sometime in 99. The only problems I had, with either of my Anglers, were air bubbles, or voids in the gelcoat(on the 18'- mainly on one side of the liner) and a few stress cracks, on the 20'.My 18' did have a problem with water, that got in to the transom, because they didn't caulk 2 thru-hulls. That was just a stupid mistake, on some riggers part. I wouldn't worry if that boat does have wood in the stringers, they had been making them like that for almost 30 years.These cosmetic problems, if any should be clear to see. Neither of my Anglers, had any problems with the hull.That 99 should have a lifetime limited hull warranty. I don't know, if it's transferable.<br />Hope this helps ;)

ANGLER18cc

Recruit

Hey Don, I just recently purchased a 2006 angler 18 cc with a merc optimax 90 and i must say its a very satisfying rig for me.I fish out of Fortescue Nj, Delaware bay,sometimes when the weather is right take it out into the ocean. shes a very sea worthy boat.Lets not forget every boat has some type of minor issue comes about.But all and all i love my 18ftr and r happy with the angler company.

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anglers are very good solid boats. I have a 1999 18' 180 fisherman (same thing as the 18 cc). I have probably 500 hours on the boat and the 115 Johnson. I have used the boat in fresh and saltwater and in the Florida Keys and in New England. I have been in some very rough water and pounding waves; I run the boat pretty hard with no negative effects.

The only minor problems I have had are a couple small BB sized air bubbles in the gel coat and some hair line stress cracks. Angler switched to composite stringers some time in 1999.

I was originally planning on keeping the boat for only a couple years and then upgrading but I have been so happy with the boat that I plan on keeping it longer.

pegleg

Recruit

Hi all, stumbled upon this forum by accident so I immediately joined iboats. I bought a 2006 204LE WA last May. I had it docked from June thru September and used the boat 7 times, with about 8 actual hours on the motor. When I hauled her out I noticed a "bubble" issue in the gelcoat in a very small isolated spot and some very minor stress fractures on top of the cuddy. I didn't think the gelcoat was that serious enough to contact the dealer, but it has been on my mind off and on this winter. This is my 3rd boat and I have never experienced this. The boat looks, runs, and handles great up to 3' seas. So to answer a dated question dpski, I don't think these things should have showed up with this little use. MikeF & Captain Jeff, your input would be greatly appreciated. I love the boat, but I must admit the gelcoat thing has me ready to take my lumps and trade it in for a new Scout or Century.

BillyD

Cadet

pegleg said:
Hi all, stumbled upon this forum by accident so I immediately joined iboats. I bought a 2006 204LE WA last May. I had it docked from June thru September and used the boat 7 times, with about 8 actual hours on the motor. When I hauled her out I noticed a "bubble" issue in the gelcoat in a very small isolated spot and some very minor stress fractures on top of the cuddy. I didn't think the gelcoat was that serious enough to contact the dealer, but it has been on my mind off and on this winter. This is my 3rd boat and I have never experienced this. The boat looks, runs, and handles great up to 3' seas. So to answer a dated question dpski, I don't think these things should have showed up with this little use. MikeF & Captain Jeff, your input would be greatly appreciated. I love the boat, but I must admit the gelcoat thing has me ready to take my lumps and trade it in for a new Scout or Century.

Why have you posted your tale of woe before you've seen the dealer where you bought it? Perhaps they'll take care of it? If you've owned 2 boats previous to this than you knew that the 204 was the least expensive way you could get a new boat of that size and options. Right! So you're coming on here and saying that you are unhappy with the least expensivwe boat that one could buy? I knew what I was buying when I wrote the check. And BTW my 06 204FXLE has been flawless with 200 + hours on it! Did you mention if you liked being out on it or not?
Get out of boating if you don't know what to do!

bpante

Cadet

That can happen to any boat, even your overpriced brands. Give the dealer a chance.