1958 Queen Merrie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Queen Merrie

I have been looking at a lot of older vintage alumacrafts and was uncertain if I wanted get a Deep C or not. I really wanted an Open C but I have yet to see one for sale. Two Deep C's were available on craigs list but they seem pretty close in style to my 56' FD. So today I found this Queen Merrie for sale and decided I could not turn this one down. The hull is in pretty good shape and it has the seating layout that was offered as new I believe. The boat was not water ready as it was embedded with leaves and other junk. Trailer is solid and it is powered by a 58' Evinrude 35 hp Lark. Tag is for up to 90 hp, but I'm not interested in speed. Engine needs to be gone over prior to running. First thing to do is "rake" the leaves out of the floor and give it a cleaning. It has a plywood floor so that is going to be replaced. I'm not a fan of plywood floors and carpet, but I'm not sure what else would be an alternative. Also, I will be rebuilding the back to back seats and using the bad wood for a template.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Backwaters2; May 11th, 2014, 10:33 AM.

Re: 1958 Queen Merrie

This one?

1958 18 foot Alumacraft boat

Comment

Sounds like a cool project - got any pics?

Comment

The craigslist ad is deleted but it's probably the same one.
        Attached Files

Comment

Same day of purchase I was able to remove the seats and floor. I did a power wash and will run a shot of gluvut down the center seam. Not sure if its needed though.
          Attached Files

Comment

Spent time today cutting the floor. I used 1/2" exterior plywood from Lowes. It was pretty clean on one side and a lot better then Home Depot. I need to find a source for these T-Screws that allow for quick removal of the center pieces. I decided on staining then using Spar Polyurethane to coat it. I'm keeping the would exposed and not gluing carpet down. This will allow for better breathablity and easy maintenance for touch ups.
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm looking for a source for these t-screws. I'll stop by Fastnall tomorrow after work...

The salesman at Fastnall did not have source for the hatch screws. If anyone knows where to get them please let me know. Thanks.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Backwaters2; April 28th, 2014, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I found the serial number for the Queen Merrie while cleaning the back transom bracket. The number is Q 224. I'll email Alumacraft and see what kind of response I get from the lady.

Also, the model number on the Evinrude is 35515 so that confirms it's a 1958 35 hp.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Backwaters2; April 28th, 2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwaters2 View Post
                  I'm looking for a source for these t-screws. I'll stop by Fastnall tomorrow after work...

The salesman at Fastnall did not have source for the hatch screws. If anyone knows where to get them please let me know. Thanks.
                  Congratulations on the Queen Merrie! I've got a 1955 AlumaCraft Cruiseabout and have those same screws holding down some floor panels. I'd be quite interested should you find a source. Wish I could help.
                  1956 Aluma Craft FD
                  1951 Aluma Craft R
                  1956 Aluma Craft Cruiseabout
                  1958 Feather Craft Vagabond
                  1958 Feather Craft Rocket
                  1958 Feather Clipper
                  1957 35hp Johnson Sea Horse
                  1969 25 hp RDE Johnson Sea Horse

Comment

The floor always goes quickly until the stain and varnish part, so I cleaned the windshield and removed som crude off the front deck. Recieved an email back from Alumacraft Lady, however she wanted to know how many feet the boat was. Replied with 18' so tomorrow I'll see if she can verify its a 1958.

Still looking for those 1/4 turn deck screws on the internet. That could take some searching???
                    Attached Files

Comment

Received a quick email response from Alumacraft on the boat year. They confirmed it is a 1958. Hull number is 224 and they also confirmed the production numbers started at 100, so this boat would be the 124th made. She also said that total production was about 900 boats.

Thank you for sending me that information. Your Queen Merrie serial number 224 was built in 1958, this boat model was built from 1958 until 1960. There were approximately 900 total units of this model produced during that time period.

Thanks,
                      Alumacraft Customer Service Support
                      Attached Files

Comment

Started replacing the wooden back to back seats. The best method is to just trace the old seats and use a template. Many different curves and angles to get it correct. One done, one to go.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Backwaters2; May 11th, 2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Busy weekend geting things back together on the Alumacraft. Primed and painted the two bench seats. Will put a second coat on this week. Use Interlux Brightside polyurthene. Good paint and should do ok sealing the wood. Checked the boat for leaks at the ramp and nothing obvious showed up so no issues there. Spent most of today putting foam in the hull and getting the floor boards back in. Most of the screws lined up from my old template but the center boards do have a small space between them that I did not notice when I removed them. Not sure if I should keep the space or widen the center boards to butt against the two sides boards. Three of the centerboards do have 1/4 turn quick releases so I think its not a bad idea to have some space between the boards. If water gets in the boat it will still find its way through the joints so why not have some space to let things air out a little? Wish I had an original view of the floor from 1958. Not sure if the floor was painted, stained or I hope (not carpeted). Not a fan of carpet in boats.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Backwaters2; May 11th, 2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Looking good!
                            1956 Aluma Craft FD
                            1951 Aluma Craft R
                            1956 Aluma Craft Cruiseabout
                            1958 Feather Craft Vagabond
                            1958 Feather Craft Rocket
                            1958 Feather Clipper
                            1957 35hp Johnson Sea Horse
                            1969 25 hp RDE Johnson Sea Horse

Comment

Backwaters2, congratulations on the purchase. She's a real beauty. I just purchased my first restoration project May 1st. It is a 1959 Alumacraft Queen Merrie with original (assumed) Gator trailer and original (on fairly good authority) 75 HP Evinrude Starflite II. I've got a few "Honey do's" to take care of before I am permitted to work on the boat, so I am amazed and quite envious of your progress so far. Love all the pics. Takes some of the mystery out of what I will find when I remove the partially rotted floor and flotation foam ant farm. My boat does not have the back to back seating, but under some terrible white vinyl cover, I did find the original upholstery. It's pretty cool. Once I figure out how to add photos, I will upload some pics. Hopefully you will keep us posted on your progress. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X