1951 Aluma Craft Model R

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been looking for a while now and finally found one! The hull is in pretty good shape but does need a little work. Someone in the past has added two transom support brackets but did no major damage in doing so. All hardware is there. It looks like it may have had a side steering console in the past as it it drilled for one. Aluma Craft says it was made in 1951. It has no seat up under the front deck like I've seen on some, and no signs that one was removed. The front air tank seat was drilled in the past to mount a seat so some welding repair is in order.

I'm looking for any and all feed back on my new 11ft 7inch baby. I plan on keeping it as original as possible. Serial # R 474.

If anyone knows where I can find a center steering console, send me a PM.

Attachments

• 00A0A_2P5H2Cjg7xC_600x450.jpg
    00A0A_2P5H2Cjg7xC_600x450.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 00e0e_6z4CWHiMqqv_600x450.jpg
    00e0e_6z4CWHiMqqv_600x450.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 00E0E_bI6D1ZWbCHO_600x450.jpg
    00E0E_bI6D1ZWbCHO_600x450.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 4
  • 01313_8ER5Alhj4md_600x450.jpg
    01313_8ER5Alhj4md_600x450.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1951 Aluma Craft Model R

Neato!!!! I love it. Looks like you have a new Aluma Craft to add to the fleet. I bet she would fly with a nice vintage 18-20hp on the back, or achieve warp speed if you use the '69 25hp you have listed in your signature :) Are you going to paint her?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice looking Alumacraft. Cool, 2 nice Alumacrafts added in the same week:
Alumacraft R-6

Yours has had the center steer position removed? It doesn't look to have been there originally, and was removed:
attachment.php

Or to be more what you need/want you want to move the steering back 1 bench section? Perhaps you could fab the necessary elements.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Neato!!!! I love it. Looks like you have a new Aluma Craft to add to the fleet. I bet she would fly with a nice vintage 18-20hp on the back, or achieve warp speed if you use the '69 25hp you have listed in your signature :) Are you going to paint her?

Paint? LOL! No way. If there is a prettier color than natural aluminum patina, I haven't seen it.

I may give the 1969 25 Johnson a try. I'd need a little more pitch on the prop than what is on it now though. I'd love a 1957 or 58 18hp Johnnyrude though if I could.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice looking Alumacraft. Cool, 2 nice Alumacrafts added in the same week:
Alumacraft R-6

Yours has had the center steer position removed? It doesn't look to have been there originally, and was removed:
attachment.php

Or to be more what you need/want you want to move the steering back 1 bench section? Perhaps you could fab the necessary elements.

It's has two drill holes in the cast aluminum gunnel on the port side and two drill holes in a raised floor support that look like they may have been from a side steering console. I'm not sure of the options back then. I've scores of photos of what the center whole width steering console looks like. It's what I would like to find. Aluma Craft made a sister to the R, the RB, whose rear seat in further back for tiller steering. I've been told that lots of R's came with no steering at all and some without even the front deck. I'd like to see some catalog information from back then but can't find any.

Last edited:

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

The one photo shows three aluminum 'slots' that look to be factory riveted in place just under the gunnels one each side of the boat. I'd like to know what their purpose was. They may have been to hold a type of cover support. Note the two drilled holes in the cast aluminum gunnel that may have held a side steering console. No holes at that location on the other gunnel. Also note the yellow arrows pointing out two bolts or some kind of hardware in the air tank flotation seat. Damn! The front seat has the same and may have held some type of seat in the past, maybe even factory.

Its got lots of steel hardware to be replaced with aluminum or stainless.

Attachments

• 002 resized r.jpg
    002 resized r.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 004 resized r.jpg
    004 resized r.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

It so happens I've got Lloyd on speed dial and talked to him on the way to look at this Model R!

Do you think maybe he'd part with one of those center consoles?:lol:

Those are some fine looking Aluma Crafts he's got.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

It so happens I've got Lloyd on speed dial and talked to him on the way to look at this Model R! Do you think maybe he'd part with one of those center consoles?:lol:

Do you know his work or vacation schedule? Late night console raiding party.....

He's got a few boats, I suspect they're all well insured :faint2: You know if he's got any of the hen's teeth hardtops laying around too?

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope, I don't know his schedule. I've talked to him twice on the phone and don't know him other than that. I would guess we might not both make it back from a late night raiding party though as I don't think he'd be giving up much without a fight.

That 1957 18hp Johnson looks great on that R.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I would guess we might not both make it back from a late night raiding party though as I don't think he'd be giving up much without a fight.
Then you'll be greatly missed here, FG & FC.net.....

Agreed the 18hp fits it really well.

Back to your's though, is that R 464 stamped in the knee brace? I'll look there when I see the boat tomorrow.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I'm sure those sites would close down without me, so I'd better stay put.

Yes, it is stamped in the knee brace that is in the center of the transom.

My FD's serial number is stamped in it's knee brace also.

My Cruiseabout is stamped in one of the aquaduct transom inside supports.

On some Aluma Crafts you may have to look for the number fairly hard, wipe with a rag, etc., but it will be there.

John Wist

Cadet

Did you the windshield made or they original to the boats. My 1963 Alumacraft has some spider cracking and I would like to replace it. I think it was originally made by Thomson.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you the windshield made or they original to the boats. My 1963 Alumacraft has some spider cracking and I would like to replace it. I think it was originally made by Thomson.

My R won't be wearing a windshield, I don't like them. It is drilled for one though and likely had one from the factory.

kfa4303

Banned

They look like George Jetson mobiles. I want one!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

attachment.php

You are correct, the black arrows at the top of the pix point to rib support brackets that held the ends of a curved slat to keep a boat cover from sagging. My FireFlite has them too:
GEDC0378.jpg

I've seen the fiberglass ribs before that fit these brackets perfectly, but mine didn't come with them.

Hmmm, the yellow arrow fasteners are an oddity, no idea what they might have been for originally. You may be correct that it was a keeper for a folding seat's bench bracket.........