Finally Installed New Transom in 1959 Queen Merrie

I've been sidelined with illness and many other projects and commitments for too long, but I finally got around to fabricating and installing the new transom in the Queen Merrie. I made the boards the same as the ones I removed, they lasted 54 years, so why reinvent the wheel? I made the boards the same size (a little thicker on the back), from quartersawn white oak, covered with 9 layers of spar varnish. I installed cork rubber gaskets, 0.06" thick, and attached the boards with 10-24 stainless machine screws, using fancy washers for a finished look. Now it is off to the dealer to have the new Etec 90 installed. I may get a chance to get it on the Mississippi this year after all!:D

IMG_38931.jpgIMG_44531.jpgIMG_44581.jpgIMG_44601.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Finally Installed New Transom in 1959 Queen Merrie

Nice wood work there. What else to you have instore?

Thanks, those boards were quite a bit of trouble, but I'm happy with them. I'm going cover the hacked up dash with a piece of the white oak I have left over from the transom boards. Its getting a new 19 gallon gas tank with dual fuel lines and filters. I'm going with a dual battery setup, one starting and one deep cycle. They'll be connected with an "add a battery" kit. I'm adding usb ports around the boat for charging phones, tablets, etc. The old interior wood has been completely sanded and repainted and is going back in, and my wife is making new seats. I want to add removable rear post seats for fishing. The old windshield will be polished and reinstalled with a new gasket. The floor will be covered with Dri-dek. The wiring will be completely updated with breaker panels to replace the fuses and waterproof switches. The steering is going to be hydraulic. I'm adding Smarttabs to the transom to help reduce porpoising and get on plane faster. We have a bimini frame but we'll need to make a new top. I'm having new Evinrude Icon controls and a digital gauge for everything mounted when the dealer puts on the new 90, which will hopefully be next week.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Sounds very nice, you'll have to post up some more pictures as you go.

kfa4303

Banned

Shiny! Looks great. That ol' girl is gonna fly with a 90 ETEC on the back too! A silver bullet indeed.

It should go along at a good clip, the guy at the dealership estimated between 43 and 48 mph. I still have a lot of work to do to it. The motor came with a 5 year warranty, I've already wasted one season with the boat sitting in dry dock. I need to get in gear and at least get the motor mounted and setup before the snow starts to fly, the rest can be done over winter when there's nothing else to do.

kfa4303

Banned

Well, the good news is that there's no break-in time on the ETEC so you can run her WOT first time out.

No Title

Now with the new outboard hanging on the new transom I will be more motivated to get her finished, now I need to name her. My wife likes "Coup De Solei", French for "sunburn", my son likes SPF 90, haven't decided yet.

Last edited: