What hp is to big 16ft alumacraft model K

Farmboy 70

Recruit
What do you think the maximum hp outboard for an old 16 ft alumacraft model K? Rated for 25hp but how big could you go?

super cs

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What hp is to big 16ft alumacraft model K

What do you think the maximum hp outboard for an old 16 ft alumacraft model K? Rated for 25hp but how big could you go?

My catalogues show the model K rated for up to 35 hp, same as the model FD. My FD runs very comfortably with 18 hp, me (220 pounds) and two small kids (and a dog).

I've run a 35 on it - quite thrilling, especially the tendency for the bow to drop and dig and hook steer when I came off the power abruptly.

I've seen pics on the internet of somebody running twin Mark 55s (40 hp motors)

I guess it depends on your supply of fresh underwear :)

Farmboy 70

Recruit
Re: What hp is to big 16ft alumacraft model K

:joyous:Thanks for your reply super cs! I know where a model K alumacraft is and it's in good shape,I was thinking about buying it. I have a mid "70's" Johnson 50hp outboard,thinking about converting it to tiller for the 16ft model K,with the right prop wondered if it could be tamed down. Might be a "bit"much for such a light boat.

I used to duck hunt with a friend who ran a 1950's FD with a 30hp outboard,had a prop for pushing not for speed. We had to be careful sometimes,but that boat would go anywhere!

Anybody ever put a surface drive mud motor on an alumacraft? The boats aren't built for the mud flats but that would be great for backwater and flooded timber!