Alumacraft inboard

travel an

Recruit
I have recently acquired an Alumacraft boat powered by an inboard engine. We believe the boat was built in 1956 or 1957, is 16 feet long with a twin cockpit. It is powered by a 4 cylinder inboard engine from a Crosley automobile with an AquaJet belt drive. It was acquired from a Minneapolis resident who had used the boat on Rainey Lake near International Falls MN for the last 35 years. We are looking for any information on this model; we think it is a prototype and there were only two built. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how.

vspeedster

Cadet
Re: Alumacraft inboard

Although a unique boat, being a 16' dual cockpit it is probably based on a 16' Merry M. The "normal" M16s were made in 1954 and 1955. Are there any letters or numbers stamped into the transom aluminum?

travel an

Recruit

Today we found a serial number stamped in the transom. It reads M16 101B
I have written to Alumacraft to see if they have record of its date of manufacture.

vspeedster

Cadet

Alumacraft Customer Service is usually pretty quick to respond via phone or email regarding questions on the year of a boat. Looks like your hull is a Merry M of the 16' variety. I have heard serial numbers started with 100 or 101. Maybe 101B could be a very early (101) and/or some sort of prototype or one-off (B). Let us know what you hear from Alumacraft!

travel an

Recruit

I just heard back from Alumacraft.
The boat is a Merry M, which was built in 1955
They built 202 units that year but only 2 were inboards
They have contacted their historian to see if they can find more info.

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sounds like a cool little boat. Can't wait to see the pics.

austinsailor

Recruit

I have an M-16 which I use all the time, a great boat.

If you ever get pictures please post them. I'd love to see them.

If you decide to sell it I'd be interested. Austin dot sailor at yahoo dot com